• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

Luke Matheson looks to me like he still has a lot of growing up (physically) to do. I'd have thought 21/22 might be his breakthrough season in the first team rather than 20/21

Us wee fellas are tougher than we look :)

He'll get by on ability, we don't normally dedicate that level of coverage to youth team signings. I expect him to be Doc's competition in July.

If we are challenging for fourth let’s compare our business with those around us.

Chelsea - nothing. And Lampard was clearly pissed off
Spurs - Bergwijn is a good signing, but no striker in, and there is no guarantee of a return date for Kane.
Manchester United - loads of money on Bruno who may be class. Also ridiculous wages on a striker that I can’t imagine would have got us all jumping up and down if he had pitched up at Compton. Who is still in China. Oh - and they have taken him without a medical.

I don’t see how our window has taken us out of the equation.

Correct. Utd have lost the plot.

Perfectly happy with this window. Much better than the last one. Couple of signings in the summer and we could have a pop at the top 4.

Barcelona couldn't even manage to sign a striker to cover themselves through to the summer with Suarez injured.

Spurs have managed to go through 3-4 of the previous seasons with no real cover for Kane despite the fact he's very, very injury prone.

Real spent 50m on a potential replacement for Benzema and within a month were trying to flog him back out the door.

Atletico have been desperate for a new striker and ended up with another winger instead, one they've already sold previously because he wasn't good enough for Simeone.

The only clubs I can really think of who have two legitimate top class centre forwards and who don't play with a pair up top are Arsenal and City.

Arsenal have managed to piss off both Aubameyang and Lacazette in the process and City's depth/finances render any comparison with another team null and void.

If we are challenging for fourth let’s compare our business with those around us.

Chelsea - nothing. And Lampard was clearly pissed off
Spurs - Bergwijn is a good signing, but no striker in, and there is no guarantee of a return date for Kane.
Manchester United - loads of money on Bruno who may be class. Also ridiculous wages on a striker that I can’t imagine would have got us all jumping up and down if he had pitched up at Compton. Who is still in China. Oh - and they have taken him without a medical.

I don’t see how our window has taken us out of the equation.

Spurs swapped Eriksen for Gedson Fernandes - that's a downgrade in my view

Us wee fellas are tougher than we look :)

He'll get by on ability, we don't normally dedicate that level of coverage to youth team signings. I expect him to be Doc's competition in July.

Yeah the video they put out Thelwell was telling him he's perfect for how we play and Nuno mentioned that he will be back with us in the summer.

With the signings we have made plus injured players returning now our bench today could be something like Ruddy, Kilman, Dendoncker, MGW, Podence, Jota, Campana

There are options there, much better shape than the bench we had in the Southampton game.

Who would you have liked to have signed theoretically and how much would he cost? - assuming that the other club would sell and he wanted to come to Wolves
That's not my job. I'm not in football recruitment and have a Nashlike knowledge of football beyond England so much as I get your point it's not really relevant.

The way I see it we needed a sticking plaster solution until someone from the U23s is ready to take that role themselves. Ennis and BAS are on loan to League 1 and I doubt either will ever get to that level, Campana isn't suggested to be ready for that yet so probably an older guy for 6-18 months to do the kind of job Bennett has signed up for at Leicester. Nobody who is going to make the pulse race, but someone who can do a budget version of what Raul does without having to change the formation

Looking at the business that the other sides have done, it’s difficult to be too disappointed with our own. But that said, I’ve never been a huge fan of comparing our own business against what others have done - as everyone has different needs and requirements.

I almost certainly think Boly & Jota returning, plus our comeback against Saints and then the performance against Liverpool had a direct impact on the level of business we did. I don’t think anyone can argue that we were looking for another striker, but as has been highlighted already, it’s a difficult position to fill in January and perhaps Campana has looked the dogs in training.

Much will depend on how quickly Podence settles and how much of an impact he has. As far as the bench goes, we are definitely in a better position than the start of the window. I do just wish Jeff & co would keep their mouths shut, though. They’ve caused a lot of the expectation that we’ve seen.

Quite the opposite I think, just about picky enough for me. He's been pretty consistant, doesn't want overpriced worthless tat cluttering up the bench, it would have been nice to get another striker in but don't know how you get a quality player in to come and sit on the Wolves bench just in case Raul gets injured.....its worked out ok so far.
I agree with you but it seems the easy thing to do is blame Thelwell when no one arrives (somehow Jorge gets away with accusations of offering us shit players)

Yeah the video they put out Thelwell was telling him he's perfect for how we play and Nuno mentioned that he will be back with us in the summer.

With the signings we have made plus injured players returning now our bench today could be something like Ruddy, Kilman, Dendoncker, MGW, Podence, Jota, Campana

There are options there, much better shape than the bench we had in the Southampton game.

That video was a weird/interesting watch. Must have been a massively overwhelming experience and day for the lad. The bit with Thelwell was so odd :icon_lol:

That's not my job. I'm not in football recruitment and have a Nashlike knowledge of football beyond England so much as I get your point it's not really relevant.

The way I see it we needed a sticking plaster solution until someone from the U23s is ready to take that role themselves. Ennis and BAS are on loan to League 1 and I doubt either will ever get to that level, Campana isn't suggested to be ready for that yet so probably an older guy for 6-18 months to do the kind of job Bennett has signed up for at Leicester. Nobody who is going to make the pulse race, but someone who can do a budget version of what Raul does without having to change the formation

Chelsea nor Spurs have signed a back up striker so that suggests it isn't easy given that both are bigger clubs than we are

Oliveria was the only realistic option but he's hardly going to be good enough. They've had a look at Campana and I would imagine consider Oliveria to be no better than him.

The kind of player you're suggesting would get game time at lower clubs, that or we get in a 3/4 choice from someone else. If they're 3/4 choice they probably aren't good enough.

It's an easy thing to say we need a back up striker, much harder to do in reality. I'm happy Campana is an option for now, I'd rather aid his development than give minutes to a journeyman striker.

That video was a weird/interesting watch. Must have been a massively overwhelming experience and day for the lad. The bit with Thelwell was so odd :icon_lol:

You got a link to that video, Jinky - all I can find is stills. But yes, they have Matheson listed under 'first team news.' The lad's to-do list must be interesting. Psychology homework. Revise for test. Replace Matt Doherty...

He was quickly corrected when he referred to our ground as being orange!

He seems a lovely young lad. He sounds a bit like me which is not a good thing and he also wears an Alice band like me, but I'm pretty sure he'll have a better career than I've got.

I don't really care what other clubs have done, this is our third successive poor window. Yeah we may well get away with it, but we're asking Raul, Neves, Moutinho and Neves to play another 25 games in great form and not get injured. What's underneath them isn't good enough for the top six unless we change our system. That's a failing of Jeff, Kev, and probably a bit of Jorge too.

Caveat that I love signing youngsters, it's exciting and prudent. But that shouldn't be the entire MO when we've got fewer players and more games than anybody else in the league

I don't really care what other clubs have done, this is our third successive poor window. Yeah we may well get away with it, but we're asking Raul, Neves, Moutinho and Neves to play another 25 games in great form and not get injured. What's underneath them isn't good enough for the top six unless we change our system. That's a failing of Jeff, Kev, and probably a bit of Jorge too.

Have a bit of reality, you've mentioned some really, really good players. Are we going to find players almost as good who are happy to sit on the bench?

I'm not asking you to name players , just to say whether it's realistic

The thing is though mate - if Chelsea and Spurs can't get a back up striker, what makes you think we can?

They have Son and Giroud tbf, we have Campana!

I was reading red cafe last night and somebody said, literally, that Ighalo was the only player IN THE WORLD that would be a; happy to be a rotation option for Rashford and b: be better up top than their current options. What bollocks. It's bollocks for them and it's bollocks for us.

Are we saying that there's nobody that's not as good as Raul but better than nothing? Similar for doc, Neves and Moutinho? There's a massive drop off between Joao and Saiss, but we couldn't bring in a player for the in between space? With the amount of games we play we could easily offer somebody 20 starts and 20 sub apps a season to save some key players from getting burnt out, with having such a massive drop in quality

Back