• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

Dadashov has rejected the loan move to Blues

Stay off Twitter because Nuno will walk is trending.....

In 3..2??

Meltdowns have been happening for weeks

Oops, made the mistake of getting my early morning Deadline Day update from Twitter. Understand that Nuno has quit, Raul has gone on strike because he's knackered, relegation is pretty much nailed on and Ryan Bennett is a combination of Beckenbaeur and Maldini...

Very similar to people on here, there was one chap who comparing us to a company said we were incompetent and the recruitment department should be sacked, that was just after the first week of January. Can't remember who that was ? :)

If we were genuinely serious about challenging for a champions league posn then it was a bad window. As we weren’t and we focused on investment for the future it was pretty good.

The twitter massive are still of the opinion we can outspend everyone as in the champ.

Trouble is everyone knows how notoriously hard the January window is , so to achieve any kind of quality signing is a positive, unless you follow the Villa 'Barry Fry scattergun ' approach to purchases.

For the third year running we are dependant on our one true number 9, not getting injured. It didn't happen the first two times, but still seems a silly gamble.

Yes we can fudge things like playing an unknown kid fresh to the country there - like we did with Mir, or go to a false 9 but both of those options are making the best of a bad situation.

I know that signing someone who would know he's coming to sit on the bench isn't an easy sell, but that's why Thelwell gets paid the big bucks. To not do so is a failure. Fairly sure when Nuno pluralised the word player on a number of occasions in December and January when referring to recruitment in this window he didn't mean 1 for now and a few for the future.

On the Bennett front, I have no issue with him going. I think he's better than Donck at rch but the manager doesn't and that's what counts. My only issue is the loan, they were desperate for a centre half, we should have forced the sale. Any game dependant trigger to permanent relies on their first two getting injured so far from a given and with us playing them in a fortnight I'd have made them pay for the inside knowledge he'll give them.

Neither Chelsea nor Spurs have managed it though and they have an actual injury to their main striker, not a hypothetical one. It's rock hard.

From what I can I see Nuno was offered a number of options (by Kev or Jorge i dont know) but he rejected them.

Is Nuno overly picky on players?

On the U23's signings. Nuno rarely speaks about the players that signed for that group but he spoke about Campana, Enzo & Matheson which would indicate he pushed for them to join

Nuno has the final say.

I'm sure we could have signed any old striker. I wouldn't have been any more pleased this morning if we'd signed Oliveira.

Matheson is 100% first team next season.

For the third year running we are dependant on our one true number 9, not getting injured. It didn't happen the first two times, but still seems a silly gamble.

Yes we can fudge things like playing an unknown kid fresh to the country there - like we did with Mir, or go to a false 9 but both of those options are making the best of a bad situation.

I know that signing someone who would know he's coming to sit on the bench isn't an easy sell, but that's why Thelwell gets paid the big bucks. To not do so is a failure. Fairly sure when Nuno pluralised the word player on a number of occasions in December and January when referring to recruitment in this window he didn't mean 1 for now and a few for the future.

On the Bennett front, I have no issue with him going. I think he's better than Donck at rch but the manager doesn't and that's what counts. My only issue is the loan, they were desperate for a centre half, we should have forced the sale. Any game dependant trigger to permanent relies on their first two getting injured so far from a given and with us playing them in a fortnight I'd have made them pay for the inside knowledge he'll give them.

Who would you have liked to have signed theoretically and how much would he cost? - assuming that the other club would sell and he wanted to come to Wolves

I'm assuming wolves have had a look at Campana in training and thought that Oliveria wouldn't give them anything extra

I'd much rather our kids get opportunities rather than having squad players

Nuno has the final say.

I'm sure we could have signed any old striker. I wouldn't have been any more pleased this morning if we'd signed Oliveira.

Oliveria is clearly one Nuno was happy to accept but I back the club on not spending €6.5m on him. He would have had a 12-18 month spell here and at the end we would either be selling cheaply or sending him out on loans.

Surely in the event of Raul being injured or in need of a rest, Jota would have started down the middle than actually starting Nelson fucking Oliveira there anyway. I’m happy we didn’t push that through.

Nuno has the final say.

Luke Matheson looks to me like he still has a lot of growing up (physically) to do. I'd have thought 21/22 might be his breakthrough season in the first team rather than 20/21

If we are challenging for fourth let’s compare our business with those around us.

Chelsea - nothing. And Lampard was clearly pissed off
Spurs - Bergwijn is a good signing, but no striker in, and there is no guarantee of a return date for Kane.
Manchester United - loads of money on Bruno who may be class. Also ridiculous wages on a striker that I can’t imagine would have got us all jumping up and down if he had pitched up at Compton. Who is still in China. Oh - and they have taken him without a medical.

I don’t see how our window has taken us out of the equation.

From what I can I see Nuno was offered a number of options (by Kev or Jorge i dont know) but he rejected them.

Is Nuno overly picky on players?

On the U23's signings. Nuno rarely speaks about the players that signed for that group but he spoke about Campana, Enzo & Matheson which would indicate he pushed for them to join

Quite the opposite I think, just about picky enough for me. He's been pretty consistant, doesn't want overpriced worthless tat cluttering up the bench, it would have been nice to get another striker in but don't know how you get a quality player in to come and sit on the Wolves bench just in case Raul gets injured.....its worked out ok so far.

Back