• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I think its a good deal all in all. £12m is peanuts these days. He's a solid squad player, versatile as can play across the front 3. Good finisher too. His main weaknesses are positioning and occasionally giving the ball away sloppily in dangerous positions. You'd hope these things can be trained out of him.

If we get into Europa league (or dare I say it, Champions League) next season, we need a lot of squad depth and I think keeping Hwang helps us here.

We CERTAINLY need to sign a striker and a centre midfielder though. Paper thin there. Ideally a CM asap - if Moutinho/Neves get injured wim buggered; Jimenez has struggled this season and Fabio only seems to be a good bench option at this point. Especially if we're selling Adama.

I don’t really see the big deal. It’s £12m for a squad player.

And why are we comparing ourselves to Liverpool?

Not all of our overseas players have looked fantastic straight away - I’ve seen Podence mentioned and he’s actually a great example.

He’s been distinctly average in the majority of his time here - only very recently looked remotely like the player we were hoping we’d signed?

And he’s been here a couple of seasons now.

And why are we comparing ourselves to Liverpool?
We’re not “comparing ourselves to Liverpool”. You’ve missed the point if that’s what you think was happening.

It was merely to show that even one of the clubs in the top 2 has a tremendous drop off in quality when it comes to their bench.

Hwang is a reasonable squad option/back up for where we’re at. Doesn’t mean I don’t think the timing of it is odd, though.

Reactions: jlo
Have to say I assume / assumed Adama would be off. All logic points to it. However, the window is closing soon and logic doesn’t always win, so what are you betting?? Im still guessing ‘gone’.

Edit - sorry. Bit bored.

Depends if Wolves or Spurs blink on the price. Standard games going on at the moment, they are putting out that they have other options, Mendes is pretending that Barcelona are interested. If they offer the £20m he'll go, if they don't he won't imo, although a deal structured like Hwang's wouldn't surprise me

I personally think he’ll stay and we’ll view that as a “win”. He’ll then go in the summer for a similar, possibly slightly lower price. Hopefully by then we’ll have qualified for some sort of European football and can use the money to invest properly in the squad.

Levy is a massive cock and could have had his man weeks ago if he’d just offered the £20m asking price.

On a separate note, I was having quite an interesting chat with a few Spurs supporting mates yesterday. When talking about Adama, I referred to them as “direct rivals” this season, and they all cracked up laughing and proceeded to mock me. Obviously I sent the league table, and with 2 points separating us, I felt it was a fair comment - but they very much still see a club like Wolves as a level below them. Thoughts on that?

I personally think he’ll stay and we’ll view that as a “win”. He’ll then go in the summer for a similar, possibly slightly lower price. Hopefully by then we’ll have qualified for some sort of European football and can use the money to invest properly in the squad.

Levy is a massive cock and could have had his man weeks ago if he’d just offered the £20m asking price.

On a separate note, I was having quite an interesting chat with a few Spurs supporting mates yesterday. When talking about Adama, I referred to them as “direct rivals” this season, and they all cracked up laughing and proceeded to mock me. Obviously I sent the league table, and with 2 points separating us, I felt it was a fair comment - but they very much still see a club like Wolves as a level below them. Thoughts on that?

My thoughts, your interpretation of quite interesting is a hell of a stretch.

We've been in the PL for only 3 and a bit seasons so far. Whereas spurs see themselves as one of the big hitters in the PL.
They are london based, and have a shiny new stadium. They have won the square root of fuck all for years mind, so for me their classing themselves in the same group feels a bit like they are clinging onto the coat tails of other teams.

We are still relative newcomers to the PL. We had 2 top 7 finishes, and then a comparatively poor season finishing 13th.

To the outsider, some might think our bubble could have burst. Bruno has done a better job than many (including a lot of us to be fair) suspected and has us top ha;lf again, and to be fair playing some decent stuff. You can see some of his ideas and tactics coming to fruition.

Spurs fans will expect to be top 6 or thereabouts, and most likely most pundits will feel the big 6 will be in or around the top 6 places.

I rather suspect that Spurs fans would have a group of also rans, including west ham, leicester, and possibly us as being below the top 6.

Have to say, at the moment, both spurs and arsenal look extremely vulnerable to me. But I doubt they feel that way.

I had the same conversation and response with an Arsenal fan yesterday...

Wolves, Leicester etc can be rivals in any given season, but the respective turnovers and transfer budgets underpinned by FFP mean that's only going to be the odd season rather than something longer term. To finish in the Top 6 another club needs to have a great season and one of the Sky 6 a bad one. West Ham and Newcastle are the ones who could break into it permanently for differing obvious reasons

My thoughts, your interpretation of quite interesting is a hell of a stretch.

I think that Spurs fans have a point. We are two points off them but are competing in no way otherwise. They have about 400m they could spend with regard to FFP for example because Levy has been a tight **** for a number of years. There are several in the spurs squad who I think would do well here as they dont get much of a chance there ( I know plenty disagree that's not a debate I want to re-open). Their squad is full of current internationals led by an internationally renowned coach and a winning mentality who has already stated his desire to add and build on the squad he has while shipping out a number of players who are not in his plans. They are not 1.5m players like us with the likes of Bonatini, they are 25m plus in terms of Dele Alli, Lo Celso or Ndombele or 10-15m for Doherty. That's some serious wedge that could still come in to their club. Their financial muscle is typical of the sky six and of the sky six they are in the best FFP position to make those purchases and pay great wages. Lets not forget they have a £150m centre forward in Kane too who they can cash in on at any time and Son is probably a 50m plus player as well.

Our best player , Neves would not top 50m.Raul is 30 now and 30m is his ceiling. Adama at 20m unfortunately is the best we will get , but its under value as there is no player like him , for good or bad. We cannot compete financially with them. In a straight player race the player will join spurs every time, even if we matched wages and fees as its London and London is still the draw. Lets be honest. I hate to say it but, with their set up and new stadium , they could be big players over the next 5 years with Conte in charge. We will do well to remain within two points of them in any of the next 5 years.

Last edited:
I think that Spurs fans have a point. We are two points off them but are competing in no way otherwise. They have about 400m they could spend with regard to FFP for example because Levy has been a tight **** for a number of years. There are several in the spurs squad who I think would do well here as they dont get much of a chance there ( I know plenty disagree that's not a debate I want to re-open). Their squad is full of current internationals led by an internationally renowned coach and a winning mentality who has already stated his desire to add and build on the squad he has while shipping out a number of players who arfe not in his plans. They are not 1.5m players like us with the likes of Bonatini, they are 25m plus in terms of Dele Alli, Lo Celso or Ndombele or 10-15m for Doherty. That's some serious wedge that could still come in to their club. Their financial muscle is typical of the sky six and of the sky six they are in the best FFP position to make those purchases and pay great wages. Lets not forget they have a £150m centre forward in Kane too who they can cash in on at any time and Son is probably a 50m plus player as well.

Our best player , Neves would not top 50m.Raul is 30 now and 30m is his ceiling. Adama at 20m unfortunately is the best we will get , but its under value as there is no player like him , for good or bad. We cannot compete financially with them. In a straight player race the player will join spurs every time, even if we matched wages and fees as its London and London is still the draw. Lets be honest. I hate to say it but, with their set up and new stadium , they could be big players over the next 5 years with Conte in charge. We will do well to remain within two points of them in any of the next 5 years.
Agree with a lot of this, although doubt Conte will stay 5 years, if Levy doesn't get him the players he wants, not sure he'll last one year

It was only a couple of seasons ago that Spurs finished 2nd in the PL and were playing in the Champions League wasn't it? We are rivals this season in terms of league position because they have underperformed badly and haven't recovered from the Kane "is he staying, is he going" fiasco. We cannot compete with them in terms of potential and financial clout. We COULD if Fosun wanted to throw money at the project but they don't and with FFP they can't.

It's just typical big 6 arrogance tbh. Obviously we're not rivals in many ways - pull, budget, history, income etc, but we're very much in the picture for a fight this season. I guess the fact that it would take us to over achieve and them to under perform make the sneering attitude a little more understanding

We can't really compete financially, but we can compete on the pitch, which is ultimately what counts. We've been more or less equal with them since we came up, last season aside.

Most Spurs fans I know are alright, generally are self-aware and have a tendancy to be downbeat and/or pessimistic - similar to us in a lot of ways. "Same old Spurs", etc.

Arsenal fans are just dickheads though.

Back