• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

I didn’t mean it like that. I meant it more how slink put it. I don’t care if it’s 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

I want to just see us look like we have some sort of plan in possession.

I think 4-2-3-1 worked for us as we had more attacking players on the pitch and they were allowed to “express themselves” in a Harry Redknapp coaching manual way, without any actual specifics from the coaching staff.

Maybe harsh assessment of Nuno’s tactical/coaching credentials. But I’d say there’s plenty of evidence from his time here and at other clubs that he struggles with the attacking side of the game.
I might be somewhat making this up as I don't remember exactly but Mourinho doesn't coach specific attacking movements, more he wants his players to adapt to situations in front of them (IIRC, anyway) - Nuno having learned under him I would assume would probably follow a similar theme?

It might explain why we look disjointed at times, as the players are never quite sure what each other is going to do

This is palpable rubbish. We were a far better team last night without Adama on the pitch. MGW and Vitinha played closer to Silva, we looked more solid and MGW should've had a penalty. Adama did the square root of fuck all, even scuffing his one good chance straight into the ground.
Palpable rubbish? We were a far better team without Adama? Were we? We looked more solid?? What?

I must have missed all those chances we created then, and how Armstrong missed an open goal, and of course Ings did score whilst we were "more solid".

How close Vitinha and MGW were to Silva is of little consequence if we create nothing at all, and we didn't.

I believe Adama had our only effort on target last night too, after about 75 mins??

"Far better team without Adama" is laughable, we were crap with him and crap without him.

If Wolves are playing 343 which seems most likely at the moment given our injuries, who in their right mind picks Vitinha or MGW instead of Adama?

I would think that Traore plays the way he does as that's way Nuno tells him to.
Just look at the mirroring of Traore and Neto average positions on that graphic from last night, looks very deliberate to me. Then look how wide and isolated they are in those positions compared to the two they replaced, no wonder they're always expected to do so much on their own.

Palpable rubbish? We were a far better team without Adama? Were we? We looked more solid?? What?

I must have missed all those chances we created then, and how Armstrong missed an open goal, and of course Ings did score whilst we were "more solid".

How close Vitinha and MGW were to Silva is of little consequence if we create nothing at all, and we didn't.

I believe Adama had our only effort on target last night too, after about 75 mins??

"Far better team without Adama" is laughable, we were crap with him and crap without him.

If Wolves are playing 343 which seems most likely at the moment given our injuries, who in their right mind picks Vitinha or MGW instead of Adama?
Anybody with a brain who can understand football ;)

I didn’t mean it like that. I meant it more how slink put it. I don’t care if it’s 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

I want to just see us look like we have some sort of plan in possession.

I think 4-2-3-1 worked for us as we had more attacking players on the pitch and they were allowed to “express themselves” in a Harry Redknapp coaching manual way, without any actual specifics from the coaching staff.

Maybe harsh assessment of Nuno’s tactical/coaching credentials. But I’d say there’s plenty of evidence from his time here and at other clubs that he struggles with the attacking side of the game.
Ah Gotcha, my mistake. Yes I agree with you in the main which is why I'd like Nuno to get an attack minded coach so he can take the next step.

I guess it's why Mourinho doesn't last too long at clubs as his tactics are very one dimensional but very effective in the short term.

Ah Gotcha, my mistake. Yes I agree with you in the main which is why I'd like Nuno to get an attack minded coach so he can take the next step.

I guess it's why Mourinho doesn't last too long at clubs as his tactics are very one dimensional but very effective in the short term.
So would I. I can never understand why clubs don't use coaches for particular sections of play. Throw-in's, free kicks, corners etc.
It probably wouldn't work american football style, but that type of coaching if you understand what i mean.

But just to clarify, you would genuinely pick MGW over Adama?
Leaving out your first sentence as your bile is not needed, yes I would leave Adama out because I think we’re a better team without him.

By playing MGW tucked further in it allows Semedo to get up and down with the same amount of space KJH had and Semedo is a much better player than KJH.

You then have MGW moving defenders around and driving at players from inside rather than outside. This should create space for WJ to make runs (as he did against Arsenal) or isolate a defender and find space if a cross comes in from Semedo.

MGW gives Neves and Vitinha/ Moutinho an extra central and more importantly mobile option that moves off the ball.

Then as MGW is central any crosses that come in should have an extra body in the box.

Is MGW perfect? Obviously not but we need to know either way and at the moment we’re piss poor with Adama in the team so may as well go with another option.

Calling a perfectly reasonable post "palpable rubbish" is where the bile starts pal, but hey, that's what you do.

I haven't seen anything from MGW to suggest that he will move defenders around, drive at players or really do anything of note to be honest, especially from a wide right or inside right role.

I would like to see what MGW is capable of in a central role when we play 4231 though, MGW has not been used in anything like his best position enough by Nuno, i don't think it is going to work out for him here, and I certainly wouldn't want him starting over one of our only 2 players who ever look like creating anything.

I have absolutely no sentimental attachment to Nuno. It's not as if he's been at the club for years or has won anything. Being a kid of the 70s, I've actually seen us win things. So I reckon I see it as it is. Nuno is a highly paid professional. Wolves is a job to him. At the moment, it's probably a bit of a chore, given Covid and all the restrictions. As a professional, this season, he's been found wanting. In no particular order. He's failed miserably to deal with the loss of Raul, which smacks of a lackadaisical approach to contingency planning like "if Raul get's injured, player x will replace him, we'll play this way, with this formation, etc.". He's continually chopped and changed this season and, even worse, committed the ultimate sin in football (for me) of trying to force square pegs into round holes. Last night being possibly being the worst case in point, this season. He's being far too loyal, you could even say showing favouritism, to certain players who despite being cack most of the season, are seemingly un-droppable. I'm not gonna mention names. His rhetoric is amateurish, what with the "we need to find solutions" but not actually finding any solutions. Even weirder, when you consider he may be the cause of most of the problems. There's a saying in football that you never change a winning team. The team that gallantly fought back to beat Chelsea at Molineux, last December, Otasowie and all, surely deserved the chance to play the next match, IN THEIR PREFERRED/NATURAL POSITIONS. Instead we got the car crash of a line-up against Burnley, where Podence and Otasowie played musical chairs with the main striking role! Finally, we have no pattern to our play or show any sort of imagination with the ball, which makes you wonder what happens all week at the training ground? I always think of Nuno as being lucky to get the Wolves job. It was Lopetegui's, had Espana not come a calling. Nuno probably thinks he did us a favour, hence the disrespect and disregard shown to the old gold and black faithful, with that irrational starting XI last night (blood still boiling by the way). Yes we've been shit on and off for years but in case he does not know, we're Wolves, a proud football club. He's been here just over 3 seasons now. His form says that's usually his shelf life at one football club. I really couldn't care less if he left today, fully appreciative of the "Terry Connor" season and what ensued. I just see what's in front of my eyes and it's not pretty, not by a long shot.

Last edited:
I'd much rather play 4-2-3-1 but Boly and Podence's injuries have shelved that for the time being.

Neves/Moutinho/Donk/Vitinha/MGW. Take your pick from those for the three in midfield. We may as well give MGW a go in a #10.

Neto has the attributes to play that Forward (Left) position. Basically the role that Ronaldo plays for Juventus. I'm not saying Neto is Ronaldo but he has the attributes to play that role IMO. He can drop off to link with Jose through the middle (he started to do this while we were playing 4-2-3-1 where he'd pick up the ball just left of central behind Silva), or he can drift wide left to receive the ball before running at defenders towards the box. He's pacy, direct, can shoot with both feet. He could adapt to it easily IMO.
Just out of interest, given his all too brief but successful cameo+ against Chelsea back in December, why you've not mentioned Otasowie for a midfield slot? For me, he has extremely important assets we're missing, energy, strength and drive. Serious question and not being funny.

I have absolutely no sentimental attachment to Nuno. It's not as if he's been at the club for years or has won anything. Being a kid of the 70s, I've actually seen us win things. So I reckon I see it as it is. Nuno is a highly paid professional. Wolves is a job to him. At the moment, it's probably a bit of a chore, given Covid and all the restrictions. As a professional, this season, he's been found wanting. In no particular order. He's failed miserably to deal with the loss of Raul, which smacks of a lackadaisical approach to contingency planning like "if Raul get's injured, player x will replace him, we'll play this way, with this formation, etc.". He's continually chopped and changed this season and, even worse, committed the ultimate sin in football (for me) of trying to force square pegs into round holes. Last night being possibly being the worst case in point, this season. He's being far too loyal, you could even say showing favouritism, to certain players who despite being cack most of the season, are seemingly un-droppable. I'm not gonna mention names. His rhetoric is amateurish, what with the "we need to find solutions" but not actually finding any solutions. Even weirder, when you consider he may be the cause of most of the problems. There's a saying in football that you never change a winning team. The team that gallantly fought back to beat Chelsea at Molineux, last December, Otasowie and all, surely deserved the chance to play the next match, IN THEIR PREFERRED/NATURAL POSITIONS. Instead we got the car crash of a line-up against Burnley, where Podence and Otasowie played musical chairs with the main striking role! Finally, we have no pattern to our play or show any sort of imagination with the ball, which makes you wonder what happens all week at the training ground? I always think of Nuno as being lucky to get the Wolves job. It was Lopetegui's, had Espana not come a calling. Nuno probably thinks he did us a favour, hence the disrespect and disregard shown to the old gold and black faithful, with that irrational starting XI last night (blood still boiling by the way). Yes we've been shit on and off for years but in case he does not know, we're Wolves, a proud football club. He's been here just over 3 seasons now. His form says that's usually his shelf life at one football club. I really couldn't care less if he left today, fully appreciative of the "Terry Connor" season and what ensued. I just see what's in front of my eyes and it's not pretty, not by a long shot.
This one pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. I'm struggling to think of a decision Nuno has got right this season, whether it's spending £70m on Semedo and Silva (Tim II constantly tells us Nuno has the final say on transfers) or some of the plain daft tactical formations like the Burnley game.
The Thursday night formation was just a bloody shambles on so many levels and we're now so much less than the sum of our parts. Plus we're just crap to watch. I'm not sure when the 'Dull as Ditchwater' thread was started but little has changed. We're playing tomorrow and I'll watch, but I can feel my excitement levels falling with every game. Even if we win, all it will do is highlight what a shit show Thursday night was.

This one pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. I'm struggling to think of a decision Nuno has got right this season, whether it's spending £70m on Semedo and Silva (Tim II constantly tells us Nuno has the final say on transfers) or some of the plain daft tactical formations like the Burnley game.
The Thursday night formation was just a bloody shambles on so many levels and we're now so much less than the sum of our parts. Plus we're just crap to watch. I'm not sure when the 'Dull as Ditchwater' thread was started but little has changed. We're playing tomorrow and I'll watch, but I can feel my excitement levels falling with every game. Even if we win, all it will do is highlight what a shit show Thursday night was.
Why watch it, even when we win (and we will) you're not going to be happy, why put yourself through it ?

I’m all (and really mean it) for selling Traore as I just find these endless discussions really dull.

Sell him, or go all villa talk and reopen the Traore thread. This is just shit.
If we aren't judging Fabio until he's 22 then Adama will merely be the Hors d'oeuvre

Did you spell hors d'oeuvre from memory or did you have to look it up :)

Just out of interest, given his all too brief but successful cameo+ against Chelsea back in December, why you've not mentioned Otasowie for a midfield slot? For me, he has extremely important assets we're missing, energy, strength and drive. Serious question and not being funny.
I've been all for playing him a few times since then. He looked very decent for such a young player and I'm very interested to see more of what he can do.

But.... Nuno obviously doesn't see things quite the same as he has barely had a kick since then, and Vitinha seems to be more in the managers thoughts. His chances are even less now that MGW is back for the rest of the season too. That's the only reason I left him out of the list.

I can't see where you are coming from with that in bold. You don't give away a quarter of a million quid of your own money to help the town if you think it's just a pay day here. Its is massively clear that he has an affinity with Wolves and Wolverhampton.
Remember the numerous times the crowd has been chanting "Nuno,Nuno"? We haven't got an affinity with him?

I understand. We are all disheartened with not only the performances and results this season. We are also the same with life at the moment. There is not a lot of light at the end of a year long tunnel, it's fucking cold, and we are all suffering mentally with it. I can see my family at least. Nuno, the coaching staff and 1/2 the players can't see theirs. Imagine having to watch the birth of your baby over the phone! I wouldn't even be arsed to get out of bed at the moment, let alone run around a freezing cold football pitch kicking a bag of wind about if i was in their situation.
Yes, they (Players and staff) are professionals, so they have to do the job they do. It doesn't mean they are immune from being mentally (and physically) drained from the situation they are in.

We all want Wolves to do well(i think). We all know in our hearts that Nuno is the manager, and he will take the fall if things ultimately turn to shit. But saying he disrespects us and the club is utter bollocks in my opinion.

I can't see where you are coming from with that in bold. You don't give away a quarter of a million quid of your own money to help the town if you think it's just a pay day here. Its is massively clear that he has an affinity with Wolves and Wolverhampton.
Remember the numerous times the crowd has been chanting "Nuno,Nuno"? We haven't got an affinity with him?

I understand. We are all disheartened with not only the performances and results this season. We are also the same with life at the moment. There is not a lot of light at the end of a year long tunnel, it's fucking cold, and we are all suffering mentally with it. I can see my family at least. Nuno, the coaching staff and 1/2 the players can't see theirs. Imagine having to watch the birth of your baby over the phone! I wouldn't even be arsed to get out of bed at the moment, let alone run around a freezing cold football pitch kicking a bag of wind about if i was in their situation.
Yes, they (Players and staff) are professionals, so they have to do the job they do. It doesn't mean they are immune from being mentally (and physically) drained from the situation they are in.

We all want Wolves to do well(i think). We all know in our hearts that Nuno is the manager, and he will take the fall if things ultimately turn to shit. But saying he disrespects us and the club is utter bollocks in my opinion.
First off, my points have nothing to do with the donation Nuno made. That's shows he has a heart. No doubting that. As to working in these trying times, there are many, many people around the world, away from home, getting on with their jobs because they're paid to do it (and not so handsomely paid I might add). I question his abilities this season to do the job and feel that to pick a side like he did on Thursday, was one big kick in the knackers to many of an old gold persuasion. That's all.

He made a call which I and many others disagreed with (given the league season is as good as dead, I couldn't really see the argument for prioritising Sunday over Thursday) but I don't think it's fair to bring respect into it.

Fine to question his decisions but I would say not fine to question his character.

Back