• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion: 2020/21

The problem is the way we play, I mean look at Arsenal yesterday, got a flashback on how we usually play..so, Aubameyang and Lacazette didnt have a chance to do anything

Watching those green and yellow stripy bastards tear chelsea a new arsehole reminded me of how we used to play a couple of seasons back with fast passing and movement. Two genuine world class team goals for them yesterday. Let’s hope our recent improvements in performance continue against West Ham.

Diogo being mismanaged is a laughable idea if I’m honest. I bet he doesn’t see Nuno’s importance in his career like that.
I’m not sure it’s meant in that sense (certainly isn’t from me), more in the idea that the manager isn’t getting the most out of the attacking talent he had/has available (post lockdown). And the same can be extended to the current front 3 and possibly elements of CM.

I’m not sure it’s meant in that sense (certainly isn’t from me), more in the idea that the manager isn’t getting the most out of the attacking talent he had/has available (post lockdown). And the same can be extended to the current front 3 and possibly elements of CM.
It's because we play far more pragmatically, any attacking talent we have would look better playing in Liverpool's team.

If we setup to be more attacking and shipped 2-3 goals every game then that would be mismanagement.

It's because we play far more pragmatically, any attacking talent we have would look better playing in Liverpool's team.

If we setup to be more attacking and shipped 2-3 goals every game then that would be mismanagement.
I know, that’s my point. And also attacking intent isn’t directly proportional to conceding loads of goals. There are in betweens.
I didn't see the Chelsea - West Brom game. xG suggests west Brom over achieved. (I know it doesn't affect the result before someone pipes up)

They did score most the chances they had. But Playing against 10 men for the majority of the game will skew xG. In addition to this I’d say playing on the counter (plus against 10 men) would lead to shot conversion being higher than typical xG but xG does not factor in these two crucial differences. And finally, Perreira’s first goal has an xG of 0.11, but I’m expecting a player of his quality to score with the ball sitting up perfectly and the keeper off his line 9 times out of 10.

We didn’t prioritise the formation around Traore, we did it with what we had available (particularly when Diogo was injured!). We played 352 plenty of times in the second half of the season, sometimes Diogo was good, sometimes not so good.

spurs away was a 343, so we could defend and break in important spaces against their defence, and Diogo was bloody brilliant. We did the same against Norwich with a 352, with similar results just in a different area of the pitch.

I think the games post lockdown were poor from Nuno, the decline in attacking output as well as the bizarre idea of wide players playing on the touchline did not help Jota at all.

We saw the best of him through the centre and narrow/ inside forward. If we had him now I think he and Neto would be magnificent inside forwards.

Thankfully Nuno looks like he’s leaning towards playing this formation with a bit more attacking intent (would like to see more off the ball running, personally)

LFC dominate the ball though, Jota does the things he did for Wolves still, just 25 yards further forward. Even in our optimal system we weren't getting the version of him that we have seen for them, personally pleased for him and even with that I don't think I'd take him back if it meant Neto missing out of the development he has had this year.

Ideally in 343 it would be him Podence and Raul for me, not necessarily Traore.

First Saints goal I thought Pope could have done better. Second saints goal was two defensive errors by Burnley with Mee being the biggest culprit. That said, excellent play by Ings

Diogo being mismanaged is a laughable idea if I’m honest. I bet he doesn’t see Nuno’s importance in his career like that.
Not that binary though is it? Of course across the 3 year span Nuno was key in his develolpment and I'm sure he'd site him as a major influence. That doesn't preclude him from failing to get the best out of him in his last 6 months. That comes from failing to play a style that suited him. When that's your best player imo then that's mismanagement

Yeah should have done better for the first too. Suppose it was on his wrong foot though.

Ings playing like this and I think he’s a much better back up to Kane than DCL.

No comment on the game as only saw the last 10 and appears I missed the good bits, as what I saw was scrappy and low quality.

However a general comment on Wolves, that game is why I don't like the "don't care about the result just get the season over with" types of remarks you see in the matchday and verdict threads. Southampton had that little spell early in the year but they have mostly looked abject this year, similar to Burnley. There is no way I want Wolves finishing below either of those sides, regardless of injuries, issues or extenuating circumstances.

Back