• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lonners Or Ikeme Who should start v Villa?

D

Deleted Cyber

Lonners made some great saves v Crewe and also showed the ball playing skills of Joe Hart on a bad day! Ikeme has been solid enough early doors but recently looked a little shaky , slow off his line and weak wristed. I know theres a call for a new keeper come January but with what you have who should start the next game?

For me I would give Lonergan a run. He is quicker off his line and hasnt been letting them in from 30 yards. He does remind me of Hahnneman with hair! Perhaps he can get some better comms going with Batth or even gee the skipper up a bit as he is in a mini form slump.

Over to you. Who would you play and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Walter Zenga registered himself he could get a close up of his back four.

Ikeme. Lonergan won't be here next season and I think Ruddy will push him off the bench before the season is out.

1475682945428870.gif

You can balance that out though with a great double save at the end.

You can balance that out though with a great double save at the end.

And the tip over. Lonergan is a keeper I have a soft spot for. I suppose that blinkers me a bit. Ikeme has had plenty of chances. I remember Hahnneman coming in for Hennessey about the same time in the season and did really well. I just think that neither is above championship class so if one is not on form play the other. Lonergan gets my vote for now til Xmas form notwithstanding. Its up to him to make the shirt his!

Ikeme. And I think Ikeme is shit. Just Lonergan is so bad he earns the e to become shite, and possibly with "fucking irredeemably" in front as well.

Best solution - sign Martinez or some other massive keeper upgrade on 1st January. Get it done, Fosun.

And the tip over. Lonergan is a keeper I have a soft spot for. I suppose that blinkers me a bit. Ikeme has had plenty of chances. I remember Hahnneman coming in for Hennessey about the same time in the season and did really well. I just think that neither is above championship class so if one is not on form play the other. Lonergan gets my vote for now til Xmas form notwithstanding. Its up to him to make the shirt his!

Whilst I don't agree with Doosch that he is "shit" I wouldn't put him ahead of Ikeme. Ikeme will need replacing in the coming months but just not with Lonergan

Lonergan's been playing regular football at this level since about 2004, he has always been a bottom half of the league keeper at absolute best, he'll make a worldie save here and there but he can't command his box at all and is prone to an absolute rick, even more so than Ikeme was last season. For where we aspire to be even in the short term he is nothing like good enough, under the normal run of things we would never have signed him but you don't want to be entering pre-season with only one senior keeper, the takeover had a way to go so we just snapped up any old cheap crap we could who didn't mind sitting on the bench for the whole season.

I would never choose to play him in a league fixture, even when Ikeme is blatantly not the long term answer, ergo shit.

I prefer to see it as not good enough for where we want to be rather than $#@!. Plenty of teams would be happy with Lonergan.

That I would agree with and would say applies at the moment to all our keepers

This thread must be a joke... Lonergan is dog shit.

Really? I'm afraid Lycan is pretty much bang on. Lonergan is nowhere near good enough for where we want to be. Frankly neither is Ikeme.

Really? I'm afraid Lycan is pretty much bang on. Lonergan is nowhere near good enough for where we want to be. Frankly neither is Ikeme.

Just so - might be OK if we could name both & give them half a goal to protect

Upgrade in Jan is essential if we are to challenge this season

The thread gents is one which I acknowledge both keepers have failings hence the thread guys. Jesus pulling teeth or what lol!. Both are not prem keepers. But who plays in the next game? Lonners or Carl?

The thread gents is one which I acknowledge both keepers have failings hence the thread guys. Jesus pulling teeth or what lol!. Both are not prem keepers. But who plays in the next game? Lonners or Carl?

Ikeme as lonners isn't good enough.

It would take far more than a couple of saves in the Tinpot Trophy against Crewe to win Lonergan a place for me, the last act of our small time thinking under the former regime. I would love to see Emi brought back at some point who I think would be the ideal keeper to go with our new revolution

Back