• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

But what is the alternative? Play it long to and essentially give it back to the opposition?

I agree it might get a bit fraught at times but equally we have some really good players on the ball and have the ability to beat the press and set up chances for ourselves.

Yes it might not come off and we have a rickett like today but it also creates chances and possession for ourselves.

Basically what he says here

Yeah, his explanation makes sense. Your players need to decide which way to play out based on what they see!
When asked about that mistake, Lopetegui added: “We want to take good decisions.
“Sometimes the good decision is to play long and sometimes it’s to play short.
“We don’t want to take risks to suffer a goal but sometimes you have to build the play, by playing short.
“Of course, we need to do it better. It’s not about playing short or long, it’s about making good decisions.We have to improve all of this. This kind of mistake happens to all players and in this case we have to help Jose to improve and be able to overcome this situation. I am sure he will do better.”
I can never understand when being pressed why they don't look to the space past the press. It needs players to find the space so there is a get out ball.
On the game it wasn't anything i didn't expect. Lucky we kept it to just the 3 goals. We obviously didn't have a shot or anything in the match according to the Sky Sports highlights. Cunts..

But what is the alternative? Play it long to and essentially give it back to the opposition?

I agree it might get a bit fraught at times but equally we have some really good players on the ball and have the ability to beat the press and set up chances for ourselves.

Yes it might not come off and we have a rickett like today but it also creates chances and possession for ourselves.
Risk v reward.

Often losing the ball playing out from the back you are completely open and unbalanced, so far easier for a team to score, even more so if you hand it them on a plate. Whereas giving away possession from a long ball still doesn’t mean you will concede

So if you’re playing a team better than you, or one certainly willing to leave 1v1 at the back then your making the wrong decision playing short IMO, unless they haven’t been so aggressive or there is space to do so.

So you go all Pulis and play for the seconds, Nunes and Lemina should be quicker to it than Rodri and Gundogan, or you try and play direct into Rauls feet by him moving towards your half and chipping it into him. This was something he could do (as well as win it in the air), but he can’t anymore so you’re semi-screwed regardless.

We have good players but they aren’t actually good enough in these high press situations as witnessed in the last two games. Plus City’s are better anyway.

So IMO the reward is nil, the risk is being more likely to give a goal away. Take the more favourable matchup such as second ball, Traore/Raul win it or force a throw, being set up to defend and counter instead.

Yeah, his explanation makes sense. Your players need to decide which way to play out based on what they see!
When asked about that mistake, Lopetegui added: “We want to take good decisions.
“Sometimes the good decision is to play long and sometimes it’s to play short.
“We don’t want to take risks to suffer a goal but sometimes you have to build the play, by playing short.
“Of course, we need to do it better. It’s not about playing short or long, it’s about making good decisions.We have to improve all of this. This kind of mistake happens to all players and in this case we have to help Jose to improve and be able to overcome this situation. I am sure he will do better.”
I can never understand when being pressed why they don't look to the space past the press. It needs players to find the space so there is a get out ball.
On the game it wasn't anything i didn't expect. Lucky we kept it to just the 3 goals. We obviously didn't have a shot or anything in the match according to the Sky Sports highlights. Cunts..
Tbf Sa was attempting to break the first line of City's (very high, as per usual) press.

IMO the issue is he underhit the pass like Semedo at the halfway line. That gives Mahrez not only the time to get into the lane, but actually deliver an attacking touch straight off.

I agree with J-Lo, today was an execution issue.

Risk v reward.

Often losing the ball playing out from the back you are completely open and unbalanced, so far easier for a team to score, even more so if you hand it them on a plate. Whereas giving away possession from a long ball still doesn’t mean you will concede

So if you’re playing a team better than you, or one certainly willing to leave 1v1 at the back then your making the wrong decision playing short IMO, unless they haven’t been so aggressive or there is space to do so.

So you go all Pulis and play for the seconds, Nunes and Lemina should be quicker to it than Rodri and Gundogan, or you try and play direct into Rauls feet by him moving towards your half and chipping it into him. This was something he could do (as well as win it in the air), but he can’t anymore so you’re semi-screwed regardless.

We have good players but they aren’t actually good enough in these high press situations as witnessed in the last two games. Plus City’s are better anyway.

So IMO the reward is nil, the risk is being more likely to give a goal away. Take the more favourable matchup such as second ball, Traore/Raul win it or force a throw, being set up to defend and counter instead.
Fair enough and I think you make a valid counter.

I’m probably a bit to idealistic and think it’s defeatist to play that way or just accept your second best but I appreciate that’s quite a personal view.

He also berated Sa for playing it out from the back when he could have sent it long towards Jiminez and Hwang so I’m not sure the instruction is play it short st all costs.

He’s probably expecting some kind of decent level of decision making and basic technique from a player who should be able to choose between pass short or hit or longer. Clearly Sa is not that player.
Neither are half the others. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just back from the game.

My first time at The Ethihad. Bit of a shit hole. Disappointed. Can’t help disliking the modern stadiums, built on wasteland in the middle of nowhere. Soulless. Not a patch on Spurs and Arsenal. And fuck all atmosphere.

I thought we did ok without doing anything to hurt them. I never understand why we don’t make more effort to get after them a bit……felt like we were waiting for them to score……and they did with a routine, soft goal right at the wrong time.

Front three were toothless first half and replaced by more willing runners who - at least - tried to make stuff happen. Traore has totally checked out. No idea how JLo hasn’t seen it.

Lemina was excellent, Cunha obviously has something and Sarabia looked lively. Relieved that our new boys don’t look like duds.
Neves and Nunes were largely ineffective which isn’t really what we needed against the best team in England. And someone please tell Neves to stop fucking moaning, it’s starting to really piss me off.

Free hit, learned nothing - City weren’t fantastic but they didn’t need to be. And Haaland literally did nothing…….apart from the hat trick.

Fucking freezing today too.

The best players choose the best percentage thing to do.
That goes for passing, tackling, shooting, fouling and when to pass out from the back and get rid.

Also, that two games running (I'm being kind here) where lopetegui has started with the wrong line up).

The best players choose the best percentage thing to do.
That goes for passing, tackling, shooting, fouling and when to pass out from the back and get rid.

Also, that two games running (I'm being kind here) where lopetegui has started with the wrong line up).
Football IQ

It would be a big coincidence for Sa to start playing that way post Lopetegui's arrival and it not be on instruction
He was doing exactly the same against City at home. The whole defence we’re doing it as well. It’s not a new thing for him, maybe Lage was telling him to do it as well. I have no idea but it’s certainly nothing new.

Never a good time to play City but this was a particularly bad time. No hope of a positive result after Pep's rant in midweek and it kind of kills a bit of our momentum going into the FA Cup week off.

it kind of kills a bit of our momentum going into the FA Cup week off.
Wonder if we’ll jet off to warmer climates for the week? The team that is, not me and you.

And someone please tell Neves to stop fucking moaning, it’s starting to really piss me off.
This. Even I've noticed it too. Every time a foul is awarded against Wolves he's there, arms out wide, big eyes giving it large..... Every time!
The ref must get sick of it. Whenever it was effective at certain situations, it's all been diluted now because it's every time.

How dare the captain ask why a pathetic joke of an official has given another terrible decision against us while letting the opposition off with similar fouls. Strip him of the Captaincy, I say

Don't want it to be a distraction for us, but stating our case and making officials feel uncomfortable is fine. I like how JL has balls, otherwise cunty teams and managers in this league end up reffing the games themselves and for their own advantage

I take all of the above on board, but the problem is, it doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. I feel Neves does need to reign in the arm waving/outrage a little bit - it's almost after every decision that goes against us at the moment. I'm allowed to say this whilst also understanding how fucking annoying it must be for the players when they're continually on the end of shit calls.

Lop's now been booked 3 x times in a short space of time. Did we ever get an answer on whether a manager can serve a suspension after being booked a few times etc, or is that just applicable for players?

No issue with Neves asking the ref about decisions or JL losing his shit but it needs to be used sensibly. I have to agree with some saying he's going a bit overboard currently, the pleading about every 50/50 is too much imo, if understandable giving our situation.

Do yellow cards to managers tot up. He'll be getting a one match ban soon if so.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Back