• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I was Neves as a player [the bit with the arm waving and moaning at the ref, not the bit with the ball] and as captain felt aggrieved at every decision I felt was unjust. Inevitably the decisions seemed to become more are more unjust and my outbursts more and more frequent.
As I got older and realised that I was never going to quite make the level I thought I should have been at when I was younger, I started playing with a smile on my face and had 'conversations' with refs rather than berating them. Often the jokes would be self inflicted or at my own expense. It was amazing how often 50/50 calls started to go in our direction and the number of bookings I got and fines I received reduced accordingly.

Neves is in that moment in time - new captain, leader of a struggling team, desperate for any decision to go our way, incandescent about recent wrongs and ultimately playing for his own future. If, and he's not yet possibly old or mature enough to realise it, he calmed a little then I think he'd be better received by the refs and his own game would benefit.

All of this is said as an opinion and with hindsight of my own career but I also know that if I was CM and captain of Wolves I'd have seen red at least twice this season and probably be facing some sort of lengthy ban given the on field and off field decisions this season!

Do yellow cards to managers tot up. He'll be getting a one match ban soon if so.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

I've done some googling and I'm not sure how reliable this is, but it does look like Lop will eventually get a touchline ban if he carries on getting yellow cards (three so far, so according to that, he'll have a touchline ban if he gets one more).

What Happens if a Manager Gets Booked? If a manager is cautioned by a match official they will need to be on their best behaviour. Like players, a second yellow will result in a sending off. Four yellow cards in the same season will result in a touchline ban and eight yellows will yield a two-match ban.

surely Arteta is closer to a ban than Lopetegui?

On the Neves debate, I am loving seeing him front up to refs. We spent a while being a fairly passive team on this front, and saw a ridiculous amount of decisions go against us, and we didn't bat an eyelid. People grumbled.

Now we do, and people grumble.

And usually it is merited. Like Lewis fucking up yesterday and taking out Hwang. No way that was a FK to city, it was a decision for us all day long.

We were definitely too passive in the past and I think we're still not physical enough man for man and often get bullied this way as well. However I do think we need to pick our battles and sometimes accepting a throw in against us on the halfway line with a smile allows a full on assault over some of the ludicrous decisions that we've had of late.

When has a ref's mind ever been changed by outraged player protest? The best you can hope for is to ask him to consult a lino, but a foul or a card will never be ruled out. My concern is that we'll pick up unnecessary cards for dissent, or more likely to get one for getting up the ref's nose. I don't know whether Neves is getting more cards now than he did before he got the captaincy, but he seemed to be getting one almost every game earlier in the season. Also, do we give shit because we get shit, or vice versa?

I wonder if raging at the ref is the best way, maybe being subtle about it is better. Things like, "you're going to be really disappointed with these calls when you look back". "He's made you look really silly with that dive", "they'll be watching that one a few times on match of the day". "You bought that? Never a yellow".

When has a ref's mind ever been changed by outraged player protest? The best you can hope for is to ask him to consult a lino, but a foul or a card will never be ruled out. My concern is that we'll pick up unnecessary cards for dissent, or more likely to get one for getting up the ref's nose. I don't know whether Neves is getting more cards now than he did before he got the captaincy, but he seemed to be getting one almost every game earlier in the season. Also, do we give shit because we get shit, or vice versa?
Lemina and Lop were both carded for dissent at the weekend.

I would say that it can play a part, but it's not as if we're the only ones who do it. Rodri and KdB were constantly yapping at Coote.

We have sports psychologists, I would hope we're using their expertise in this area

When the Coote gave City that free kick against us when Chan won the ball, and was fouled by Lewis was a diabolical decision. He's just not fit for purpose.

Didn't see the game, as I was at work, only the highlights, did we touch the ball ?

Didn't see the game, as I was at work, only the highlights, did we touch the ball ?
Not much, at one point in the first half they'd out-passed us ~125 to ~25.

Came out of HT with some intent but immediately got done in by mistakes from Ruben and then Sá. Didn't exactly fold after that but we really never looked like generating a coherent threat.

To explain my original point, I have no problem with Neves contesting contentious decisions.

My point was more that I’m concerned he’s overdoing it - to the point where it seems to be every decision.

It’s doesn’t appear to be getting us anywhere, it’s not doing his disciplinary record any favours and, judging by his performance yesterday, not entirely helping keeping him focussed on the playing side either.

Just an observation.

this month, v utd at home. ref booked semedo based on the protests by utd players.

Back