• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

If we lose the next two it's our worst first 8 PL games ever I think?

I would say running at 0.5 PPG is a disaster run.

Oh to us it is, not convinced the club would see it that way. Although they are known for pulling 180s.

I just don't see him being under the pressure he deserves to be at the moment, doesn't seem to be under scrutiny in the media either, not sure about the bookies (Dean)

All I can add is that I sincerely hope we are looking at possible replacements for GON. At no level is going to Luton and playing like that acceptable. We have spent millions on our team and then we play like that with no attacking intent. Seems to me our owners want to retain full control of everything including the playing side. You would have thought they would try to recruit the best manager possible to handle the football side of things but instead they continue to flap around making poor decisions. In no way is this coach an acceptable choice for a team that has spent so much money and that has some quality players.
In the hope we’re like Brighton, they should be aware of who’s on the market, what they would bring etc, but this is Fosun Afterall

I’m not in the get rid of him tonight camp, but end of the day it’s a results business. If we go into the Bournemouth game on 4 points then I’d hope his position is seriously in question

I'd take Dave Jones over GON anyday.

It’s a poor squad, poorer than we’ve been since promoted but I’d still back a half decent manager to have them 12-15th. Lopetegui would have had us there pretty comfortably

In the hope we’re like Brighton, they should be aware of who’s on the market, what they would bring etc, but this is Fosun Afterall
If they were like that we wouldn't have appointed GON in the first place.

It’s ludicrous that for two years in a row we’ve got ourselves into a position where we’ve started the season with everyone (apart from those in charge) knowing the manager will be sacked before Christmas.

We’re shite and we’ve actively chosen to be at this level.
What I find worse is we’ve gone from FA cup semi finalists and EL quarter finalists to absolute fodder for no reason other than choice.

If the height of our ambition would be to appoint another cheap yes man then we might as well keep GON and go down complaining about conspiracies. Our position in the table is an accurate reflection of who we are now.

We finally got ourselves a proven manager but then decided that we were happy to be one of the worst teams in the league, but hope to be fourth worst. Even if we stay up, this will be the pattern. Fosun aren't building anything. Not a ground, not a dynasty of success. Nothing. They'll be wanting their money back soon.

If the height of our ambition would be to appoint another cheap yes man then we might as well keep GON and go down complaining about conspiracies. Our position in the table is an accurate reflection of who we are now.

We finally got ourselves a proven manager but then decided that we were happy to be one of the worst teams in the league, but hope to be fourth worst. Even if we stay up, this will be the pattern. Fosun aren't building anything. Not a ground, not a dynasty of success. Nothing. They'll be wanting their money back soon.

They're an investment firm, ROI was the only thing that was ever important.

Not in agreement in persisting with a crap manager because I can’t think of a better option.

Oh to us it is, not convinced the club would see it that way. Although they are known for pulling 180s.

I just don't see him being under the pressure he deserves to be at the moment, doesn't seem to be under scrutiny in the media either, not sure about the bookies (Dean)

This is pretty much it. It's why Lage was kept on for ages, the football was always unsustainably poor. They either don't watch us at all or more likely don't understand football in any meaningful way. Unless we are rock bottom & cut adrift I can't imagine them making a change. The media has us as certs to go down anyway, that was before we even changed manager so to them, we are performing as expected.

O'Neil isn't going to slag the ownership off or rock the boat either.

I'd get it if O'Neil had played progressive football with Bournemouth and got sawn off because the new owners wanted their own man (who incidentally has been rubbish so far).

But he didn't.

It's three games in a row now where he's retreated quicker than an Italian army. If you think that will change after 8, 10, 15 or 20 games then you may be interested in these magic beans I have for sale.

On the one hand, I feel it’s almost hilariously too soon for this sort of talk.

On the other, GO is giving me nothing to latch on to and the criminal underperforming has continued basically unchecked.
I think this sums up where I'm at. Didn't want him, thought he wouldn't be up to it, doesn't look like he is and is highly unlikely ever to be. Not sure 6 games does much more than confirm what you already thought you knew though. Sacking him now would be laughable from a process perspective, but employing him in the first place was. I think I'm at the International Break, 2 home defeats - irrespective of Ipswich and he needs to go.

This is pretty much it. It's why Lage was kept on for ages, the football was always unsustainably poor. They either don't watch us at all or more likely don't understand football in any meaningful way. Unless we are rock bottom & cut adrift I can't imagine them making a change. The media has us as certs to go down anyway, that was before we even changed manager so to them, we are performing as expected.

O'Neil isn't going to slag the ownership off or rock the boat either.

They might know nothing about football but they do know that relegation immediately knocks off 60+% of the value of their asset.

He'll go, we're just wasting time between now and then.

Nobody in their right mind, or even football pundits, had us down as ‘certs’ to go when Lopetegui was still here. Some might have thought we’d struggle more than I thought was likely, but not nailed on for the drop. You’d have to say we look highly likely now, and it would be unfair not to give GON the credit for that development.

I was totally against his appointment when it was first mooted and nothing since has changed my mind. I'm sick of his coaching manual babble way of talking, I'm sick of him slyly criticising the previous bloke who shalt not be named as if he is some kind of managerial great who is working on a cunning plan (fuck off Poundshop Baldrick) and I'm sick of him talking as if he is still at Bournemouth.

I think replacing Lop and his army of backup staff with O'Neil, Derry and the other 2 is a ridiculous decision and one which would have looked ok in League One but not the Premier League. Feels like last season all over again where we're wasting games until the inevitable happens only this time we won't have Lop and the World Cup break to save us.

I really don't know the reason why we are willingly doing this. IMO O'Neil will turn out to be one of the worst decisions Fosun have made.

I would definitely take Hassenhutl, I would even take that miserable Portuguese fella who I was against at the time (Pedro Martins) over O'Neil.

I just want him gone. Totally out of his depth and only taking us one way. Get rid.

Last edited:
Nobody in their right mind, or even football pundits, had us down as ‘certs’ to go when Lopetegui was still here. Some might have thought we’d struggle more than I thought was likely, but not nailed on for the drop. You’d have to say we look highly likely now, and it would be unfair not to give GON the credit for that development.

Nearly every pundit predicted table I saw had us in the bottom 3.

What I find worse is we’ve gone from FA cup semi finalists and EL quarter finalists to absolute fodder for no reason other than choice.
Didn't start as choice, it started with hubris, arrogance and stupidity, a year later it defaulted to choice

They might know nothing about football but they do know that relegation immediately knocks off 60+% of the value of their asset.

He'll go, we're just wasting time between now and then.

That's the point I'm making. They will act when the table shows we are in trouble, not before, it was the same last year.

Back