• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Nearly every pundit predicted table I saw had us in the bottom 3.

That's not 'certs' though is it. Luton were and are certs. If I say I don't think Barcelona will win the Champions League because I reckon Man City and Real Madrid are better that doesn't mean they have 0% chance and that they're on the same level as Royal Antwerp.

I watched every pre season game under Lopetegui and we didn't look anything like a relegation team. And I'm far from his biggest cheerleader.

Nobody in their right mind, or even football pundits, had us down as ‘certs’ to go when Lopetegui was still here. Some might have thought we’d struggle more than I thought was likely, but not nailed on for the drop. You’d have to say we look highly likely now, and it would be unfair not to give GON the credit for that development.
We went from 6th or 7th favourites to 3rd the moment Lopetegui walked and O'Neill was appointed. That speaks volumes

That's not 'certs' though is it. Luton were and are certs. If I say I don't think Barcelona will win the Champions League because I reckon Man City and Real Madrid are better that doesn't mean they have 0% chance and that they're on the same level as Royal Antwerp.

I watched every pre season game under Lopetegui and we didn't look anything like a relegation team. And I'm far from his biggest cheerleader.

The blurb that accompanied them said as much. 'Couldn't score last year, lost 3 of their best players' was the general consensus. It's wrong obviously but I wasn't saying they were right, just that they'll see our current performance as justification of their prediction.

Starting to get really annoyed mainly as I don't think the squad of players is that bad, just missing a couple. So therefore I think a better manager would be getting more out of them. Therefore O'Neil is not the man and oh, wait, the people initially saying the guy who's had 1 single season of management won't be good enough were right

I don't like his various comments making out we're whack and he's having to turn us round as I thought we looked pretty good in pre-season (yeah, I know) and then against United before seemingly he started to take it back apart. Now he's got himself and the players into a right old hole that just breeds more negativity and is hard to get out of

Feel a bit bad for saying to my partner that I almost wanted us to lose as a red card and a shitty penalty against is kinda out his hands. It kinda helps hides how shit we've been at times to Sir Jeff

Feel like I've learnt from giving Lage too much time/hope 😂

...obligatory we will now win the next 3 games with 7 goals from Cunha...

I particularly don't like the we got 41 points last season and lost players comment. We know how that, Neves and I guess Nunes with an * doesn't bear up to scrutiny, but it also sets a mentality I don't think this squad is built for

Can we trust the Club to replace GoN with a suitable replacement? Whoever gets the job has a tough job on his hands. It will be no quick fix. I’m not confident some of this squad have the stomach for relegation fight. Refereeing decisions aside.

Can we trust the Club to replace GoN with a suitable replacement? Whoever gets the job has a tough job on his hands. It will be no quick fix. I’m not confident some of this squad have the stomach for relegation fight. Refereeing decisions aside.
They’ve got 2 choices keep GON and go down or try something else to give us a chance.

Keep this bloke, we're right in the shit. Appoint someone else, we might still be in the shit or we might get out of it

Oh I agree with both sentiments

Only so many times you can hide behind VAR, red cards, and jolly good efforts.
Fact remains we were reliant on a brain fart by Onana to getting a point at Old Trafford, yep played well but still left ourselves in a shit situation.
Second v BHA blown away.
Palace away got ourselves back in the game then made bizzare substitutions.
Liverpool I’ll accept we were just outplayed second half.
Today that first half is as bad as bad can get we were totally reliant on Luton being so impotent in front of goal. Second half happily sitting on a 1-1.
W1D1L4 GF6 GA12
City and Villa next, the GA column is the most damaging stat, that could be close to 20 in 2 weeks.
I’m at a place now where I’m sick of plucky efforts v the big boys and getting nothing then hearing fans saying “there’s encouragement”
You said that after Man Utd
You said that last week and we’re still not getting enough points where needed.

When we appointed him I said we had just put ourselves with the 20th ranked manager in the league, people disagreed and pointed to his staying up and the promoted sides managers, but I did feel they've done a better job, nothing we have seen has changed my mind. I have now started to think the decent first game might have had as much to do with Lopetegui as O'Neil, and either way it resulted in nothing.

I think it says everything about where we’re now at that we’re resigned to two upcoming home defeats.

I think it says everything about where we’re now at that we’re resigned to two upcoming home defeats.
I will never be resigned to losing to Villa. If we do, I'm then both boots in.

Back