• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Villa isn’t a game you “should” be losing. As a game a draw should be the minimum. Lose and he will have to go

They've not been very good at all so far.

We just don't have a clue tactically though on current evidence so I expect us to lose.

Sigh.

I like him when I hear him, I think he's respectful to other sides, and I really want him to prove me wrong and be a success here.

But that's not going to happen.

I wish him well but we're prolonging the inevitable.

He's not up to the job.
Quite a lot of people go on about how well he speaks. I'll hand it to him, he certainly speaks English and without a funny accent.

I'm not sure how the words he's used has inspired anyone's confidence...

From the off he's alluded to some sort of mess he'd inherited. The "mess" Lopetegui left behind was in fact a team that had turned a corner and for the most part was exhibiting mid table form...

The hastily arranged preseason was largely positive and reinforcements have been provided.

GON's interview on talksport was fine until he said Wolves "deserved to win". WTF Gary? You're forgetting one thing, the fans watching, have eyes!

Yes the penalty should not have been given. But we were shit with 11 men, less shit but still shit with 10. It was a very fortunate point, we were not unlucky overall, second best from start to finish v Luton ffs.

Given we were down to 10 men for an hour, a point is a positive thing. We may well have enough about us to survive this year but one things for sure, we'll be in the mix come May.

For me the alarming thing with O'Neil is that we as fans can see what the issues are in the team and have a reasonable idea what the solutions available to us now are. But he seems to be putting out the same team with the same problems every game in the hope that they'll correct themselves. Hint Gary: they won't. We know because we've been watching those problems for the last 3 seasons. They won't self correct. You need to make changes. Drop Kilman, play Sasa, play Neto on the left, play Cunha behind Sas allowing him to run from deeper, don't make negative substitutions every game. It won't fix everything, but I'd put money on it being better than just doing the same fucking thing every week.

Reactions: b3h
Beating Ipswich isn't a gimme but if we do, that puts O'Neil on a par with Nice Guy Steve (Davis) who didn't have two games against lower league opposition (Blackpool and Ipswich)

Screenshot_20230924_075048_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230924_075400_Chrome.jpg

If you want to do it on league games only, we need 4 points from City and Villa. They've had fairly comparable reigns

- Both opened at perennial top six sides in a bit of turmoil (Chelsea/Man Utd)
- Both faced Brighton and Palace.
- Both faced direct relegation rivals (Forest/Everton)
- Both will have faced Arsenal or City.

Think I've seen enough tbf.

Hobbs vastly underestimated the challenges of the PL and simultaneously overestimated GON, who is essentially a ten-a-penny British coach/manager with bog standard ideas and bog standard application of those ideas.

It didn't need 6 games to see this, btw

As said I think he’ll get the next set of fixtures between October-November breaks. Only way he’s gone in 2 weeks is heavy defeat Saturday and comprehensive beating by Villa.
Yep our home fixtures have been grim from August to the October break, nevertheless a decent coach could have had us on about 8-9 points by the upcoming break.
Home draws v Villa and BHA, wins at Everton and Luton and a draw at Palace really isn’t loads to ask for, it’s not asking for a miracle.

As said I think he’ll get the next set of fixtures between October-November breaks. Only way he’s gone in 2 weeks is heavy defeat Saturday and comprehensive beating by Villa.
Yep our home fixtures have been grim from August to the October break, nevertheless a decent coach could have had us on about 8-9 points by the upcoming break.
Home draws v Villa and BHA, wins at Everton and Luton and a draw at Palace really isn’t loads to ask for, it’s not asking for a miracle.
It's why all this shit O'Neil chats about not having enough time with the players is complete fodder. I get that it wasn't an ideal time to take over but nobody will ever be able to convince me that Lopetegui would've had us sat on 4 points at this stage. The smart man tries to build on what had gone before, put your own spin on it sure, but it wasn't like Lopetegui was sacked for poor performance, he was doing a good job!

It shouldn't have been hard to find someone to take over and continue the upward trajectory or at least plateau.

It's why all this shit O'Neil chats about not having enough time with the players is complete fodder. I get that it wasn't an ideal time to take over but nobody will ever be able to convince me that Lopetegui would've had us sat on 4 points at this stage. The smart man tries to build on what had gone before, put your own spin on it sure, but it wasn't like Lopetegui was sacked for poor performance, he was doing a good job!

It shouldn't have been hard to find someone to take over and continue the upward trajectory or at least plateau.
Yeah but the way O'Neil constantly babbles on he inherited a dogshit team that required his magic touch to completely turn it around. Not sure if he has been brainwashed or if he is completely deluded. As you say there was something tto build on when he arrived but he chose to rip it up and reinvent the wheel and as a consequence we appear to be getting worse with every week that passes

GO had the very rare opportunity of following a manager that wasn’t sacked for poor results. In just six games he has lowered expectations so much that few of us wouldn’t accept survival. Any hopes of achieving mid table playing decent football have evaporated with the leaves still on the trees.

I’m not much of a ‘manager must go’ person especially after six games but if seems to me that we have made a wrong choice and we need to change things before it gets too bad.

We all know how hard it is to get out of the championship. This needs sorting immediately as a matter of urgency.

I’m not much of a ‘manager must go’ person especially after six games but if seems to me that we have made a wrong choice and we need to change things before it gets too bad.

We all know how hard it is to get out of the championship. This needs sorting immediately as a matter of urgency.
He is the wrong choice, and it’s just a joke that we decided he was the right candidate. Even if the parameters were ‘cheap and British’ surely he wasn’t the best

I still don’t think we will go down with him at the helm, I think we will meander along for a really dull season. The squad is not as bad as just scraping 17th.

I have nothing against the bloke, he’s just under qualified to manage in the PL

He is the wrong choice, and it’s just a joke that we decided he was the right candidate. Even if the parameters were ‘cheap and British’ surely he wasn’t the best
Who was then, Smith? Lampard? Pulis? Allardyce? The appointment is bad more because of the criteria we set ourselves rather than the actual selection, assuming Potter wasn't interested. It was going to fail no matter who was chosen, because the list of available candidates matching the criteria was shite

It was an appointment that no other PL side (possible exception of Luton) would make in cold blood.

That we made the decision in close season as part of an actual strategy is mind-blowing

Who was then, Smith? Lampard? Pulis? Allardyce? The appointment is bad more because of the criteria we set ourselves rather than the actual selection, assuming Potter wasn't interested. It was going to fail no matter who was chosen, because the list of available candidates matching the criteria was shite
I have no idea, I couldn’t name you the list of available managers.

If the list of candidates generates O’Neil as the best, then they needed to change the criteria.

If the criteria was as mentioned ‘cheap and British’ and that still generates O’Neil, then that’s a a sad state of affairs in itself.

Cheap = unemployed so you already aren't targeting the cream of the crop. There are a number of up and coming British managers, we are playing one on Tuesday, they have jobs though

Back