• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Quatar world Cup. so when should it be played?

pavlosmacwolf

Reaction score
I have no idea any more, except it cannot, for the players well being, be played in the summer,

Now Mr Platini is in the frame along with all the other expected mouthpieces, so what is the sensible answer. Apologies if there is already a thread on this (please merge) i just couldn't find it.:surrendered:

To wit: never.

To wit: never.

I agree entirely! however Sepp will never allow that to happen. I can see the european leagues wanting it in their winter break, but the UK and elsewhere? and of course the Winter Olympics clash.

Platini seems to me to be playing devils advocate with a view to future election as FIFA chairman. I have a sneak feeling that the players union, who have muttered a word or two today, may actually hold the ultimate power, but still the question is .....WHEN????

UEFA were looking like favouring January into February. Hilariously, they started off wanting it to be the January AFTER the normal tournament date, until it was pointed out that would be a 2023 tournament in 2022

They've ruled out May-September.

Just arrange it in November,imagine they can use two international break weeks + another two.Maybe they can reschedule the international breaks instead of messing up the leagues...

UEFA were looking like favouring January into February. Hilariously, they started off wanting it to be the January AFTER the normal tournament date, until it was pointed out that would be a 2023 tournament in 2022

ha ha Paddy, that is Sepptastic

They've ruled out May-September.

Just arrange it in November,imagine they can use two international break weeks + another two.Maybe they can reschedule the international breaks instead of messing up the leagues...

The international sides will want the September and October international breaks to have their warm-up games before the tournament. The other issue is wanting sides together for a couple of weeks before kick off to get ready.

If it is a November tournament, I can see the 2021-2022 season finishing in very early April, and the new season starting in June to allow the big break for the tournament. Platini is prepared to move the Champions League semi-finals and finals, so I can see that happening

If it's January-February tournemant the disruption to the European league schedule would be massive. The chances are it will be in those months so it doesn't clash with the Winter Olympics.
The disruption will follow on into other seasons and Uefa would have to seriously consider the scheduling of Euro 2024.
The 21/22 season would have to start in early July and then break in early to mid December, the earliest it could resume would be late February early March meaning a late June early July finish.
The 22/23 season wouldn't able to start realistically until late September meaning again a late finish. The disruption could roll on for seasons and it won't do players any good cramming in so much football.

True, but FIFA have some nice cash from Qatar so all is well....

Plus the seasons before would have to be shifted to fit things in.

True as long as there pockets are lined and the pals in Asia, Africa and Oceania are kept happy they don't care.

Qatar to be found not guilty of being corrupt during the bidding process

The English FA however are going to get a bollocking for their behaviour during the bidding process and their relationship with Jack Warner. Double win for Sepp there

Never, in my opinion. Move the World Cup to a country that can host it in its normal time slot.

Qatar to be found not guilty of being corrupt during the bidding process

The English FA however are going to get a bollocking for their behaviour during the bidding process and their relationship with Jack Warner. Double win for Sepp there

Brilliant, is this the finding from the report that won't be published?

Brilliant, is this the finding from the report that won't be published?

Its been published this morning.

Qatar have been a bit naughty but not overly so and certainly did not bribe their way to hosting a World Cup that can't actually be held when its supposed to be.

England and Australia given slaps on the wrist for doing bad things with bad people (associated with FIFA at the time)

Russia basically told the investigation to fook off and mind their own business.

All in all the general reaction from Journo's on Twitter is its a massive whitewash and a big bag of bollocks. Which is surprising, who would have thought an investigation on FIFA by FIFA would show no wrong doing by those accused and those doing the accusing are found to have done somethings wrong

"The section concerning England’s 2018 bid is one of the longest in the report.

It focuses on the FA’s attempts to woo Jack Warner - including sponsoring a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union, to the tune of $55,000. This “damaged the integrity of the bidding process” according to the report – although it does concede “such damage was of limited extent”. Which seems obvious, since the FA’s bid was spectacularly unsuccessful.

There were also dealing with Reynald Temarii – with the OFC offered “preferential treatment in terms of allocating football development funds”.

Most damning perhaps is that four Executive Committee members approached the FA to ask for favours – and England 2018 accommodate these requests for “at least two” of those members. The report urges the Investigatory Chamber to “take appropriate steps if it deems such measures appropriate and feasible”.

Gary Lineker -
The FA being slammed for its ethics by FIFA is like being chastised by @GordonRamsay for bad language after uttering the word 'bloody'

Back