• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Quatar world Cup. so when should it be played?

Brazil doesn't really have seasons. Particularly in the rainforest where it's hot and humid all year round.

The average temperature in an Australian summer is 28.3 degrees and can rise above 30(average) while the average in their winter is about 16c so playing in the Aussie cities in their summer would hardly be as crippling as, say Qatar.
I agree that they could easily of bid just for their winter as the average temp is likely to be ideal though they may have the rain/snow to contend with depending on the city

It last snowed in Brisbane in the seventies I think. The time to avoid is November as it can sometimes seriously piss down.

It last snowed in Brisbane in the seventies I think. The time to avoid is November as it can sometimes seriously piss down.

My sister lives in the Melbourne area and they get a little snow now and then.As I said, depending on the city

The FA will not boycott any World Cup unless Germany, Spain, France and Italy join them in the boycott.

Money talks, evidently. It seems to be possibly the only thing that might make FIFA be more open, & review the situation:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/first-coca-cola-now-sony-as-sponsors-turn-their-backs-on-fifa-is-it-finally-game-over-for-the-qatar-world-cup-9882688.html
A spokesman for Coca Cola, one of Fifa's most high-profile sponsors, told The Sunday Times this weekend: "Anything that detracts from the mission and ideals of the Fifa World Cup is a concern to us. The current conflicting perspectives regarding the investigation are disappointing. Our expectation is that this will be resolved quickly in a transparent and efficient manner."

Sajid Javed writes to Sepp Blatter to call on him to publish the full investigation findings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30203666

In my view, Blatter will dismiss this as being more English sour grapes, so I would say that a better tact would be lobby UEFA to ramp up the pressure for the report to be published.

Before we even get as far as Qatar and 2022, if Russia don't sort out their currency problems sharpish then it's going to be tough for them to stage a World Cup.

Their currency issues are gonna grow.
Interest rates hiked from 105% to 17% overnight! Yikes!
& it had virtually no effect....

Looks like it is certainly affecting the footballing side already. Talk of all the big name players currently in Russia being effectively let go on free transfers as their contracts are always stated in Euros or Dollars rather than Roubles, and quite a few smaller Russian Premier League clubs currently propped up by state aid disappearing completely.

Michael Garcia has quit FIFA in protest at their interpretation of his report

The American lawyer who led the investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid process resigned from the FIFA ethics committee on Wednesday in protest over the handling of his findings.

Michael Garcia cited a "lack of leadership" at the top of FIFA in a resignation statement. He also said he has lost confidence in the independence of his ethics committee colleague, German judge Joachim Eckert.

The former U.S. Attorney quit a day after the FIFA appeals panel rejected his challenge of Eckert's summary of the confidential 430-page investigation dossier.

Russia won the right to host the 2018 World Cup and Qatar was awarded the 2022 tournament.

On Wednesday, Garcia claimed that Eckert misrepresented his work.

"(The) Eckert Decision made me lose confidence in the independence of the Adjudicatory Chamber, (but) it is the lack of leadership on these issues within FIFA that leads me to conclude that my role in this process is at an end," Garcia wrote.

In his resignation statement, Garcia also questioned how FIFA can truly change after years of scandals and criticism.

"No independent governance committee, investigator, or arbitration panel can change the culture of an organization," Garcia wrote.

Garcia also revealed that the FIFA executive committee led by President Sepp Blatter tried to have disciplinary proceedings opened against him in September. The attempt was rejected by the chairman of FIFA's disciplinary panel.

Garcia was appointed in July 2012 with the priority of probing the controversial 2018-2022 World Cup bidding contests. The investigation was designed to help reveal the willingness of Blatter's organization to confront some of its deep-rooted problems.

"For the first two years ... I felt that the ethics committee was making real progress in advancing ethics enforcement at FIFA," Garcia wrote. "In recent months, that changed."

Since Garcia and his investigation team submitted their work in early September, clear splits emerged between the prosecutor and the judge. Eckert has seemed closer to FIFA in his approach and belief in how the ethics panel could use its powers, much to Garcia's increasingly obvious frustration.

Their working relationship was damaged by Eckert's 42-page report published by FIFA last month which suggested that the World Cup bidding probe should be closed for lack of strong evidence of wrongdoing.

"(W)hen viewed in the context of the report it purported to summarize, no principled approach could justify the Eckert Decision's edits, omissions, and additions," Garcia wrote.

Eckert said any corrupt and rule-breaking acts were of limited scope and did not influence the result of the December 2010 votes of the FIFA executive committee.

Still, with Garcia's work kept sealed against his wishes by strict FIFA Code of Ethics rules, critics and others have relied only on Eckert's word about the evidence against Russia, Qatar and the seven other bid candidates.

"It now appears that, at least for the foreseeable future, the Eckert Decision will stand as the final word on the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup bidding process," Garcia wrote.

Did Garcia keep a copy of the report he submitted? Would he have the "balls" to make it public?

He should "accidentally" email it to some media outlet...Blame hackers.

FIFA have confirmed that the Qatar World Cup final in 2022 will be held on 18 December.

The season will have start in mid-July (at the latest) to accommodate the required FIFA period for national teams to be together before the tournament. Also there just can't be international breaks in the season as it just won't fit. Logistical issues, but it is doable.

Back