• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Quatar world Cup. so when should it be played?

I would imagine that countries will still want their international breaks. It can be done, but a situation has been created that was totally avoidable.

There will be no friendlies in the autumn. Pretty sure FIFA said that. More concerned about getting the season finished when qualifiers for the next Euros etc come round.

It's not ideal but it is what it is. The amount of complaining about it has been ridiculous IMO.

It is now set in stone and the European Leagues have the best part of eight years to get their ducks in a row to make it work. Just hope it doesn't create a precedent for winter world cups.

I don't really understand the farce. If people complained that Australia didn't win with their bid for the reason of a winter world cup, I'd get it. I haven't heard that argument very often. Other countries have been adjusting their season through the years!

I quite like the idea of a one off winter world cup, personally.

I don't really understand the farce. If people complained that Australia didn't win with their bid for the reason of a winter world cup, I'd get it. I haven't heard that argument very often. Other countries have been adjusting their season through the years!

You don't understand the problem - Having a World Cup literally in the desert, in a country with absolutely no football tradition, where human rights practically don't exist, and in stadiums built by slaves - 4000 of whom will die before the start of this farce?

and I don't think anyone would be moaning if the Qatar bid had been for a Winter World Cup. Then of course the stuff that Edgey has said.

You don't understand the problem - Having a World Cup literally in the desert, in a country with absolutely no football tradition, where human rights practically don't exist, and in stadiums built by slaves - 4000 of whom will die before the start of this farce?

I do understand that, but again - that doesn't actually seem to be what people in football are complaining about. Richard Scudamore is more concerned about the Christmas fixtures being played.

I'm not saying I agree with it being in Qatar, at all, by the way!

I do understand that, but again - that doesn't actually seem to be what people in football are complaining about. Richard Scudamore is more concerned about the Christmas fixtures being played.

I'm not saying I agree with it being in Qatar, at all, by the way!

I agree with your point, certainly the footballing "powers that be" have really only been worried about the timing, none of the other issues.

IMHO the timing is just another, lesser reason on the very long list of reasons why Qatar should not be hosting the WC

Trying something different with regards to a World Cup - to enable a different part of the world to host it and for the rest of the world to embrace their culture - would be fine, and I'd be all for it. Fuck Scudamore and his cash cow - that's not the problem with it IMO.

The fact is that this is an immoral, deceptive, unfair farce of a decision and it's been given to Qatar for a single reason - ££££££££. The bidding process has been shown to be at best flawed, and worst downright corrupt - there was no indication ever given at any part of the process stating it could be held at a different time of the year, which could well have affected other bidders who could and would have altered their bids accordingly. And then of course you have the rather enormous issue of the human rights violations and the fact it's being held in a place with absolutely zero footballing history and traditions.

It's an absolute disgrace this is being allowed to happen and I really really hope the major nations boycott this tournament, break away from FIFA and show a bit of moral fibre. There's more chance of Wolves winning the Champions League by the time this tournament comes around than that happening though.

That's my problem with it too Langers. Well put. UEFA and particularly Blatter shown to be egotistical, greedy despots.

FIFA state no extra compensation will be paid to the Clubs for a Winter tournament. Last World Cup the clubs whose players were called up shared £45m from FIFA..............2022 they will get at least £135m

Back