• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

Vb
Well that was the first time Lopetegui did his disciple Peter impression, by which time there wasn't really any going back
Must admit I was pissed off when we threw a 3 nil lead away at Milwall, I said to mates that could be crucial come the end off the season. Think we missed the playoffs on goal difference.

Highest points total ever to miss the top 6. We were unfortunate, it was the hammerings vs Derby, Brentford and Forest that did us.

Highest points total ever to miss the top 6. We were unfortunate, it was the hammerings vs Derby, Brentford and Forest that did us.
Didn't help the goal difference, but that would have been immaterial if only we'd hung on for a win from 3 nil.

We were in great form as well, I really thought we'd have the momentum to go up if we'd managed to sneak in (as rare as the sixth-placed team winning the playoffs is).

I always think of the Ipswich home game against MM as the match which did us. The whole Dicko, Afobe, Sako thing was in it's pomp, but it was a flat performance

Didn't help the goal difference, but that would have been immaterial if only we'd hung on for a win from 3 nil.

True but you can pick any number of games out. Failing to beat an awful Blues team at home after they'd just lost 8-0...and losing at their shit tip too.

I remember that Derby match like it was only yesterday .

Was it Sheffield Wednesday where our form turned around I think , won 1 - 0 away .

They beat us comfortably 3 years running at their place 5-0, 4-2, 3-1, character building for my Derby born son

I remember that Derby match like it was only yesterday .

Was it Sheffield Wednesday where our form turned around I think , won 1 - 0 away .

Yep, Leon scored

A bit like this season in that Dicko (huge player for us that season) got injured in October and missed a couple of months and we didn't have anything like a similar replacement in the squad, so results went south

I always think of the Ipswich home game against MM as the match which did us. The whole Dicko, Afobe, Sako thing was in it's pomp, but it was a flat performance
We settled for a draw when we really needed a win. I remember we had a free kick on the halfway line in added time. Perfect opportunity to launch it into the box but we played it short and then backwards. Rarely have I been as angry at my own team than then.

A bit like with Dougan, I can only remember the 80s version of McGarry, so don't have the positive memories to go alongside the brief negative ones. Didn't he walk rather than being pushed in 85, the same with Barnwell?
Yeah, McGarry walked the second time around, basically because he worked out just what a state the Bhattis had put us in.

Barnwell resigned after a row with Harry Marshall - and my personal opinion of Marshall as chairman is particularly low.

Was it Birmingham we were winning 1-0 at and lost? Felt like that was when we wasted our chance

Yeah, McGarry walked the second time around, basically because he worked out just what a state the Bhattis had put us in.

Barnwell resigned after a row with Harry Marshall - and my personal opinion of Marshall as chairman is particularly low.
Yep, barney was a mate, and he described marshall as an uneducated pompous cunt.

Think it was a Golbourne error for one of theirs. So Ken responded by dropping him and putting Hause at LB at Boro, where he got a total chasing off Adomah in entirely predictable fashion and we lost that too.

1415.png

51 points from 26 games, pretty much top 2 form so while you can pick at games here and there, we definitely were a bit hard done by.

Meanwhile Albion will sneak in this year in all likelihood on a lower total, because of course they will (file alongside staying up in the PL on 34 points and winning the Championship with 81 points)

Yep, Leon scored

A bit like this season in that Dicko (huge player for us that season) got injured in October and missed a couple of months and we didn't have anything like a similar replacement in the squad, so results went south
Iorfa started for us that day I think - might have been his first start for us , possibly Hause as well .

Back