• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Snooker

How old is Ronny compared to the rest? Is he managing to break the age rule like a 45 year old still smashing it in the premier league?

I watched some snooker late last night (loved it, always do, yet never watch) and they mentioned him. And going back months and months to the last time I randomly watched it they were saying then will he ever stop.

He's 42. You should start to decline once you're in your mid-late 30s and certainly 40s (Stephen Hendry never won a major title after 2005, when he was 36) but Ron is just ridiculous. Like Federer shouldn't be winning Grand Slams now.

That's pretty damn awesome.

Also - Ronnie* :D

didn't see him today but I think he went back up to world no. 2 in the rankings after having had a great season already. looks like his scoring today was immense.

to be fair mark williams and higgins are still around and pretty tough to beat - a big reason why hendry didn't win a tournament after 36 with those 3 around. they moved the standard beyond even him.

Check out the match currently on Eurosport. It's been going on 1 hour and 10 mins now and I can't see an end in sight. 5 reds surrounding the black over the corner pocket. Not much headway being made.

The rules are that if the ref feels the balls are moving around the table, and they aren't just rolling up to the reds with nothing happening for ages, then they let it continue.

Occasionally one would get chipped out into free play, but Williams needed a black with all the reds so he wouldn't pot it. The other guy had a couple of half chances at potting the loose red but missed them. Then it was back to square one.

Luckily Williams accidentally knocked the black in after 74 mins so it ended.

ZZQDzqC.jpg

Bingham v Lisowski
Ronnie v Maguire

Look tasty.

Not easy for Selby either (he's had a really shit year in general, but won a tournament a couple of weeks ago).

I watched him win the Chinese Open last week against Hawkins. Won it 11-3 but he only played ok, nothing special. Just his usual grind it out better than the other bloke style. Hawkins was rubbish tbh.

He seems a nice enough guy but he's so attritional. Not even in an Ebdon way, just in a relentlessly grinding way where it makes it hard to derive any pleasure from it at all.

I hope Gentleman Joe does him over first up, top fella.

This is Ronnie's best chance to add another to his tally, in top form, had a great year, in the right mindset, with every year that passes it'll get more difficult.

I'd like Brecel to really make a mark this year. We desperately need some young players making a proper impact on big events and I'm rapidly losing patience with Judd, the fucking waster.

Selby did an exhibition in Burton last year and knocked in a 147 against a local league player. Class break it was too. He's a great player to watch when he loosens up, but when he's in matchplay mode good god he can be dull.

I will confidently say Trump will never win a World Championship. Great potter but he doesn't have the mentality it takes to both play well and grind out matches over two weeks.

He throws so many matches away. Been watching a lot of the circuit this year and he's in control but then plays some ridiculous shots.

I agree he won't win the Worlds ever.

I watched him win the Chinese Open last week against Hawkins. Won it 11-3 but he only played ok, nothing special. Just his usual grind it out better than the other bloke style. Hawkins was rubbish tbh.

the world champs is attritional though and longer matches suit him. i'm not at all surprised he won the china open as i reckon he wants to be in the zone for the worlds as his main focus. if not perry i hope the pistol can take him out early.

Selby in trouble 6-2 down to Joe Perry

Back