• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I feel Marcal is becoming better and better with every game he misses, for me he is a steady defender, but his attacking threat is less than minimal, he's not particularly quick, can't beat a man, and i don't know what his crossing is like as he never really got in positions to show it off, and then of course the fact he is old and very, very injury prone.

No thanks.

Robinson is decent and £10m would be a steal. I’d be very happy with him and RAN for the bulk of next season, allowing Jonny to recover properly (Marcal’s injury record is atrocious and as much as I like him, he’s not fit for purpose - literally).
It's not a steal if he costs what Hoever did then does what Hoever did for us last season (ie nothing).

It's a waste of money.

Could Robinson perhaps play on the left side of a three at the back?

I feel Marcal is becoming better and better with every game he misses, for me he is a steady defender, but his attacking threat is less than minimal, he's not particularly quick, can't beat a man, and i don't know what his crossing is like as he never really got in positions to show it off, and then of course the fact he is old and very, very injury prone.
Nobody thinks that Marcal is a world beater but he is a decent enough defender and if we can sort his fitness out over the summer he can be at least a capable backup player which is all we will really need him to be if we sign RAN. Spending 10m on a player who won't play is pointless, if Robinson was an obvious upgrade it would be a different story but he wouldn't start in our best team so I don't get the point.

If you're signing RAN on the mooted deal and you're that bothered about Marçal/Jonny then you don't pay the same for someone of more or less exactly the same profile. Sign him then get some cheap back up.
Agree, ideally I'm envisioning a Marcal type without the injury issues. Can't think of any names off the top off my head (well, I can, but I don't particularly want Enda Stevens), but I think it's still a smidge too early to be chucking RAN into the deep end with no safety net.

Marcal is a traditional left back/left sided Centre back it just isn't in his make up attack imo. Defensively he's quality.

He's a defend-first type of player, which IMO is exactly what you want from a backup fullback. Put him in when needed and know that his side of the pitch likely won't be the one that generates chances for the opposition. I think he demonstrated well enough in his few appearances that he's comfortable enough with the ball at his feet that he can be an active participant in possession, though.

Dan Burn, he ain't.

Could Robinson perhaps play on the left side of a three at the back?
Absolutely not.

Robinson is 23, not great defensively, and contributed zero (!) goals or assists last season for Fulham. Where the hype around him has come from, I've completely no idea.

We'll need RAN and one other next season though I guess. Jonny should be back but a double ACL in the same knee means he'll be a risk.

If they think £10m is under valuing Robinson them why not, provided of course it means we can still do all the other things we wanted to do.
I'm probably misremembering but I thought 2nd ACL was his other (previously non-injured) knee? So he's done both?

It's not a steal if he costs what Hoever did then does what Hoever did for us last season (ie nothing).

It's a waste of money.
May as well spend £10m on another RB though, I mean you never know! If Semedo and Hoever were injured/suspended for the same game we’d be in a bigger hole than if RAN and Marcal were missing.

Nope, same one.

But the surgeons have actually said they have sorted out what went wrong last time (apart from it breaking, obviously).

May as well spend £10m on another RB though, I mean you never know! If Semedo and Hoever were injured/suspended for the same game we’d be in a bigger hole than if RAN and Marcal were missing.
We'd play Matheson there or Championship stalwart Conor Coady. Or we could recall Oskar Buur for some goal threat.

But five left backs and five right backs makes sense, get them all in.

We'll put er, someone in midfield.

We'd play Matheson there or Championship stalwart Conor Coady. Or we could recall Oskar Buur for some goal threat.

But five left backs and five right backs makes sense, get them all in.

We'll put er, someone in midfield.
We literally own 3 midfielders who you’d be happy starting regularly. All 3 have been at the Euros, one is 99% likely to leave (apparently), another is 35 in September and the third had a poor season.

Better sign a 5th LB instead!

We literally own 3 midfielders who you’d be happy starting regularly. All 3 have been at the Euros, one is 99% likely to leave (apparently), another is 35 in September and the third had a poor season.

It's like the night before you go away on holiday, you've cleared the fridge out over the week, I'll get myself a nice steak for tea on Friday....oooh, and look at that, a whole roast chicken for £2. Bargain. Get the pair.

Er, no. Not a bargain.

(You have to not own a freezer in this scenario)

Bruno's favorite formation, the 7-0-3.

I don't think anyone has said sign a back up left back over other more pressing needs.

I certainly haven't.

Point remains that our LB cover is either injured or Saiss.

I don't think anyone has said sign a back up left back over other more pressing needs.

I certainly haven't.

Point remains that our LB cover is either injured or Saiss.
So you’d be happy with a fit Marcal but not Saiss?

So you’d be happy with a fit Marcal but not Saiss?
No, Marcal is a perma-crock. If he isn't injured now check back in a few weeks.

If we do get Robinson I'd see if can do something to pay Marcal off earlier for less than the remainder of his contract.

Back