• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Blame Game

Man City home for me.
Rui Patricio

He'll have to go some to top that first half save this season...in fact every Premier League goalkeeper will. Patricio channelled his inner Mr Tickle by somehow extending his arm to tip Raheem Sterling's top-corner-bound 25-yard dipping half volley onto the bar. It was a gravity-defying save at a crucial juncture – a goal for City in the 22nd minute could have seen them run away with it. He keeps kicking the ball straight out of play which is quite annoying...but his shot-stopping ability looks to be genuinely world class. 8/10 MOTM Moutinho 9/10 Express and Star

West Ham away as well.

Rui Patricio

While a goalkeeper who cost £67million was making a fool of himself in the East Midlands, Wolves' free transfer (sort of) was yet again proving himself to be one of the Premier League bargains of the summer. One good save and one great save, the former to deny Anderson at his near post and the latter to keep out Antonio's header like a claw crane in an arcade. Then with Arnautovic through on goal the Portuguese keeper put his pretty face in the line of duty to block his goalbound shot for the pain before the pleasure of his first Wolves clean sheet. 8/10

Moutinho MOTM 9/10 Moutinho express and star.

So in both those games he gets an 8/10 , but then so did 3 or 4 others on the pitch in both games.

What a very strange way to look at things...well I guess it's normal in Cyber world.

Generally a keeper wins MOTM when he has pulled off countless saves to ensure his team got something from the game. We haven't had 1 game where a team has launched shot after shot on target at us. Not even Man City away

When Rui is named premier league keeper of the season then I will be happy. Until then he can still improve. I gave Raul stick till December but goals in the bank have him in credit. There wasn't a single game I had Rui as motm iirc.

Ruddy won Championship goalkeeper of the season and how many games could you say he was MOTM in? Barely had a thing to do most games.

What a very strange way to look at things...well I guess it's normal in Cyber world.:icon_Yellow-Card:

Generally a keeper wins MOTM when he has pulled off countless saves to ensure his team got something from the game. We haven't had 1 game where a team has launched shot after shot on target at us. Not even Man City away
I dont really get what youre saying there. I said there wasnt a game where he was Motm that I could recall. He had good games , but his best two games for scores were West Ham and Man City where he scored 8. As shown above. I used express and star ratings as its local to you. I could have used many others for those games as none of them had him as Man of the match.

Ruddy won Championship goalkeeper of the season and how many games could you say he was MOTM in? Barely had a thing to do most games.
That was for 24 clean sheets and thats why Edersen won it this year in the premier league.

Interesting bit here. Not the only stats page but it has Rui at 9th. Thats about right for me , maybe a place or two to low. I would sooner have Rui than Leno or Guaita. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-best-goalkeepers-premier-league-season-unique-data

I was surprised to see Lloris so high and De Gea number one. Both have been a bit ordinary for me this season by their high standards. Too many errors.

Second time, please don't use Timbo's ratings as a barometer for anything.

He used to give Edwards a minimum of 7/10 regardless and spent the first three months giving Boly 6/10 for being "too casual" when he was clearly the best defender in the league by miles.

Rui never got a MOTM because he never had to win/save games for us. You seem to think not winning a MOTM award somehow limits Rui performances across the season.

Second time, please don't use Timbo's ratings as a barometer for anything.

He used to give Edwards a minimum of 7/10 regardless and spent the first three months giving Boly 6/10 for being "too casual" when he was clearly the best defender in the league by miles.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6159889...ion-as-hammers-slip-to-fourth-straight-defeat Rui 7 MOTM moutinho 8

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Hammers-remain-pointless-Premier-League.html same

https://soccersouls.com/outstanding...d-the-worst-rated-wolves-players-vs-man-city/ Rui 8 Boly MOTM 9

I am stopping now.

So he played well in all those games.

Good to know.

I say "know", I mean "tell myself 'of course he did, you were there, he did play well like he did in most games'"

FFS Cyber. Are you saying that you would sooner see is bombarded with attempts on goal, with the risk that we're not picking up so many points as a result of it, just so that he can win a couple of MOTM awards and then you'll be more pleased with him?

How many times did Ederson or Alison pick up the MOTM awards this season?

Rui never got a MOTM because he never had to win/save games for us. You seem to think not winning a MOTM award somehow limits Rui performances across the season.

So he played well in all those games.

Good to know.

I say "know", I mean "tell myself 'of course he did, you were there, he did play well like he did in most games'"

FFS Cyber. Are you saying that you would sooner see is bombarded with attempts on goal, with the risk that we're not picking up so many points as a result of it, just so that he can win a couple of MOTM awards and then you'll be more pleased with him?

How many times did Ederson or Alison pick up the MOTM awards this season?

No that's not what I am saying. What I am saying is that Rui is not without fault and there is room for improvements. Kicking, positioning and box dominating are three areas where I think he can improve. The fact that there is general agreement that he was either contributing or at fault in 8 goals is too many for me.I think that number could and should be lower. If you like also I think that we would have finished in about the same position if Ruddy had played all season. That's all. Rui is an upgrade but we have hardly gone from Hansbury to Murray with Rui in my opinion. Ederson won the place in team of the season. The place I said I would be very pleased to see Rui win in future seasons. Rui is good but I bracket him with the likes of Schmiecal , Heaton, Lloris, Leno, as very good but capable of errors that should be avoided if the basics are right. For me that is positioning and kicking for Rui.

No chance on Ruddy having a 0% negative impact on our season if he'd played. Great bloke, great pro and done a brilliant job here. But he isn't near the same level.

Positioning is the least of Rui's worries! He makes so much stuff look routine because his positioning is spot on and his speed off his line is amazing.

His natural size means he's never going to be a beast in terms of dominating the area, you wouldn't ask Raul to match peak Michael Owen for pace.

Kicking, meh. It's got better. It's never going to be great. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much.

His positioning is not a problem at all. It's that has stopped him having to make saves or the kind of saves that make you notice.

His kicking in August was woeful but from January it improved massively so by the end of the season it wasnt really an issue like it was.

Let's not forget he has spent a hundred years playing in Portugal and for his 1st season in a different country where things are different (you can see from the Cardiff game he simply was not used to the physical nature of their forwards and thought any contact on him would = free kick) he has been bloody good.

Based on just this season alone I would not swap him for any Prem keeper outside the Top 2.

It was a free kick vs Cardiff too. He should have done much better but it was a foul and I bet under VAR that gets disallowed and we probably win the game.

Yep under VAR the look from Paterson means a foul is given and we also defended the 2nd ball like chumps as well...but you start to come for a ball you carry on and take everyone with you but all part of the getting used to certain parts of the English game

He has done that a few times since. Gone through players. Keepers never get done for that.

I would definitely not swap him for Schmeichel Jr, Fabianski, Foster, Pickford or Dubravka. These are the teams around us.

Actually add Kepa and Leno to that list as well. I don't rate them at all.

Actually add Kepa and Leno to that list as well. I don't rate them at all.
Big seasons coming up for those 2. Not sure Leno will step up (so many conceded from simple balls in the air).. but Kepa might follow the steps de Gea in improving after a shaky start in England (ignoring the fact if you spend £80m you would want a de Gea from the off)

I never liked Leno for Leverkusen. Always prone to a massive rick and nothing outstanding about his game to compensate.

Kepa just looks ordinary to me. Ok but he isn't worth a quarter of what Chelsea paid.

Back