• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Blame Game

Neves should have done better but Traore came out of position allowing for the wide open setup. Hazard open on the corner of the box, which had been a marked area for the rest of the game.

He shouldn't have been moved in that deep, yes?

Traore is stopping there being a two against one situation in the wide area, he's not man marking Hazard and nor should he be.

No, I wouldn't say Adama is at fault there. The ball coming out into that area is normal.

I mean it is a really good goal, let's be honest.

I didn't' suggest he should have been man marking, there is another body heading over momentarily after traore arrives to make sure it isn't a 2 on 1, while the space behind him is wide open. just seems like that space shouldn't have been so available.

wouldn't suggest confirmation bias as I'm equally happy/unhappy blaming neves, I have no axe to grind. Also willing to concede I'm reading the situation incorrectly, hence why I asked in the first place.

I mean yeah. But that's not the point of the thread now is it? ;) The point is to blame traore since the other thread got locked.

Last edited:
No, I wouldn't say Adama is at fault there. The ball coming out into that area is normal.

Can't knock the quality of the finish but made it far too easy for him to have the chance to attempt it.

I thought at the time that Neves panicked when Hazard got the ball, and was rash in trying to close him down.

I wouldn't ascribe fault beyond Hazard being a world-class player really, but that's not the point of the thread, so...

Not sure about the first yesterday but Boly for the 2nd. Shame as he was superb for the rest of the match. Saïss and Coady don't exactly cover themselves in glory either for the 2nd either though.

Coady (lost Wood) and Rui (weird position, neither one thing nor the other) on the first.

Wouldn't have Boly down for the second. It's a bit aimless but it got enough distance. Just Saiss for me, backed off to no effect.

Definitely Saiss on the second. He turned his back to McNeil at one point, had no chance to recover for the block then. It's moments like that I think he gives himself away as more a midfielder than CB.

Coady (lost Wood) and Rui (weird position, neither one thing nor the other) on the first.

Wouldn't have Boly down for the second. It's a bit aimless but it got enough distance. Just Saiss for me, backed off to no effect.
It was the way he wandered over to the ball in the corner. Invited pressure onto him and then was forced into clearing it.

You could see after the goal and again at full time that he blamed himself.

Coady Rui Saiss for the first as all were caught napping. Saiss for the second and while I still don't think he would have saved it Rui seems a yard too close to his post. Can't blame him for it it just doesn't look right

Coady Rui Saiss for the first as all were caught napping. Saiss for the second and while I still don't think he would have saved it Rui seems a yard too close to his post. Can't blame him for it it just doesn't look right

I agree with what has been said about Cody, Rui, and Saiss being slow on the uptake for the first goal and Saiss backing off too much on the second. However, I want to add something that surprised me about Rui on the second goal. I was watching on TV, so this could be disputed by those at the game. But at a crucial moment when McNeil was carrying the ball forward and Saiss was backing off, the TV angle was directly behind McNeil and and in line with the far corner of the goal where he shot and scored. The goal was wide open. I looked for Rui. He was trying to see around Coady but had moved to the right, leaving about two-thirds of the goal to his left gapingly open. Had he moved to the left, he would have covered the shot easily because McNeil did not appear to hit it that hard. I just couldn't understand at the time, nor can I now, why he moved to create such a wide open target for McNeil to shoot at. I can only assume that he did not realize how far he had moved to the right post and how big a hole in the goal that had left for McNeil to shoot at. My reaction was to say immediately before McNeil even shot, this is going to be the easy killer goal but it should never have been that way. Now, I've always been impressed with Rui as a goalkeeper. But of late, I've noticed more than a slight drop in the standard of his play.

I'll need to look back at the second for specifics (it was a serious jumbled mess, fair to say there are multiple nominations there) but goals 1 and 3 today are pretty clear cut. Saiss and Traore.

Mentioned on the verdict thread but I have rarely seen us so flustered, disorganised and incoherent as a unit at the back under Nuno as we were today. We got very wobbly at Villa in the second half last season. Didn't see Sunderland away but it didn't sound great. But nothing like that this season, we've made mistakes (hence the thread) but we've not looked shambolic. We did today and it's a shame because the general performance really wasn't that bad. But you can't complain when you could easily have conceded seven.

Doc holds his hand up for the second. Our shape at the back had narrowed like normal but Doc was in his own world. Letting Redmond run away from him like a fat kid after the ice cream van.

That doesn't excuse Neves for giving the ball away or Saiss having Troare's awareness skills.

I think Coady also has a shocker on the first two goals, no organisation or leadership on either. He should be taking control in both situations.

1 saiss all day
2. Neves Coady although Rui neither stands up big or goes to ground
3 Traore wtf?

the reverse ball through the defence sliced them apart. no one tracked the runner, we looked trapped in headlights and other teams will have noticed it

From their point of view it's a good goal. From our point of view we were completely all over the shop from a restart and that shouldn't happen. Reminiscent of Watford's second goal at Molineux. Yes, great finish, wonderfully taken. But we seriously messed up on multiple levels.

Back