• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The CHRISTMAS Thread

Hi HW, sorry but I’ve only just seen this.

There’s a place called The Wotton House Country Estate and Hotel which is really nice. It’s in Surrey, close to the Box and Leith Hills, so has some beautiful walks etc. I appreciate it’s not exactly around the corner from you, but sometimes a drive for 2/3 hours and a change of scenery is no bad thing.

They do a lovely 2 night (24th - 26th) Christmas break, with Christmas Eve dinner, C Day Lunch, breakfast, bubbly and I think there’s a gift of a nice hamper included too. They have a limited number of dog friendly rooms which come with a doggy bed and a few other nice touches also. It’s not cheap, but not extortionate either, and I suppose anywhere will be a good few quid for a Christmas stay with dinner. To be fair though, it is a lovely place to be with a pool and Spa, and with everything that’s included it does probably represent fair value for money.

Deals can be found on sites like Travelzoo/Secret Escapes which can represent huge savings to take advantage of. We’ve grabbed a couple of deals in the past and are off there with the dog to escape the madness on the 29th and 30th during the post-Christmas/pre-New Year lull. Not sure if those deals would be available for the Christmas package but you never know.

We all like different things of course, but it is essentially somewhere nice offering the dog-friendly Christmas break you were asking about.

No harm having a quick look.

Thanks Epsom. That looks great.

Slightly belated, but I hope you had as good a Christmas as we did.
Bought a shit load of Wolves gear and Terrace stuff for my son and my little grandson.
Brace yourselves for a few baby/Wolves photos!
Happy Christmas and very best wishes to all of you, including all you unforgiving fuckers who have no tolerance for my shit memory and overlong posts.
However, hope you all, like me realise you bought too much alcohol before Christmas and are working your way through it all now!
Lovely!!

Don't undersell your value. My betting market on when you first say 'I remember when we signed Alun Evans for £100k with his spiky hair' in 2024 has gone through the roof :)

You can gloat!
You don't know how difficult it is when you're sure you're right about something and you're so wrong!
It's a bit demoralising....
You've got it all in front of you, you bas....
Edit, in fact, I'd nearly forgotten that! The scab was nearly complete....
Then you just came along and ripped it off!
Very hurtful!

Last edited:
Don't undersell your value. My betting market on when you first say 'I remember when we signed Alun Evans for £100k with his spiky hair' in 2024 has gone through the roof :)
I remember people at the time (my Dad especially) thinking that this was so disgraceful, spending money like that on a mere footballer and that the end of the world was approaching. I wish I could have a chat with him now about £100m transfers!

I remember people at the time (my Dad especially) thinking that this was so disgraceful, spending money like that on a mere footballer and that the end of the world was approaching. I wish I could have a chat with him now about £100m transfers!
Denis Law was signed for £110k in 1961 from Man City to Torino IIRC, the first 100k transfer. A year later ManU bought Law for £115k.

The first £100k transfer between 2 English clubs was Alan Ball when he moved from Blackpool to Everton in 66. Alun Evans became the first £100k teenager to be transferred between English clubs Wolves and Liverpool in 1968. Tommy Craig (also a teenager) was transferred from Aberdeen to Sheff Wed in 1969.

On the aforementioned age-restricted crackers, just grabbed them from the shelf last minute to be helpful. 12 bloody quid from Waitrose but they looked nice so it will keep things sweet.

Come Christmas Day, there’s no little gift inside - ‘each cracker contains a hat, snap, motto and trivia card’. FFS. 12 notes and not even a piece of plastic crap from China.

I get the environmental thing but honestly, what a joyless misery the kids have got to look forward to. ‘I’m sorry son but the PS25 you wanted would’ve put you over your annual carbon allowance and instead of the bike you’ve got a pair of biodegradable sandals to walk to school in instead’.

The crackers we had on Xmas day also had no plastic toy but a hat, joke and trivia card. I also thought it a bit weird. But I guess limiting plastic and tiny things small children can choke on is ultimately a good thing.

On the aforementioned age-restricted crackers, just grabbed them from the shelf last minute to be helpful. 12 bloody quid from Waitrose but they looked nice so it will keep things sweet.

Come Christmas Day, there’s no little gift inside - ‘each cracker contains a hat, snap, motto and trivia card’. FFS. 12 notes and not even a piece of plastic crap from China.

I get the environmental thing but honestly, what a joyless misery the kids have got to look forward to. ‘I’m sorry son but the PS25 you wanted would’ve put you over your annual carbon allowance and instead of the bike you’ve got a pair of biodegradable sandals to walk to school in instead’.
🙄

The crackers we had on Xmas day also had no plastic toy but a hat, joke and trivia card. I also thought it a bit weird. But I guess limiting plastic and tiny things small children can choke on is ultimately a good thing.

True enough, but with no small parts the ‘adult supervision required’ and ‘Pull both ends at arms length firmly and sharply’ I thought was a bit much.

I get the reasons and the ‘progress’, but I suppose when you sanitise everything with safety/the environment always being top trump then there’s the risk you sanitise people and lose a bit of fun and magic too.

I guess that’s a debate for another thread but, yeah, can’t imagine kids getting much pleasure from a trivia card.

The hours of fun I got out one of those mood telling fish as a kid..

We had crackers...no idea why and they had toys in. My Dad was delighted with his bag of marbles and I got some stupid puzzle.
I think in your late buying you were clearly left with the "woke" crackers no other fooker wanted.

Last edited:
We spent twelve quid on crackers and never even fucking pulled them. They’re still sitting on Helen’s tree and we’re back home now. They’ll keep til next year I suppose, I’ve never given a shit about them anyway.

Getting bitten to death with stupid heat and humidity. Merry Christmas you mosquito cunts. May your proboscis be eternally rammed up your insectoid arse

It was nice to have somebody to pull a cracker with for the first time in three years. Crackers are a bit shit though, but it was nice.
Yeah it's more about the social side with crackers. It's fun slagging modern stuff off.

Yep, this year's crackers were naff (no toy included), but the flimsy crepe paper 'hat' had been replaced with a more sturdy material.

True enough, but with no small parts the ‘adult supervision required’ and ‘Pull both ends at arms length firmly and sharply’ I thought was a bit much.

I get the reasons and the ‘progress’, but I suppose when you sanitise everything with safety/the environment always being top trump then there’s the risk you sanitise people and lose a bit of fun and magic too.

I guess that’s a debate for another thread but, yeah, can’t imagine kids getting much pleasure from a trivia card.
Do you use the word 'woke' a lot?

Back