• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

We're going to see Guardians 2 next week, the girls loved the first one.

We're going to see Guardians 2 next week, the girls loved the first one.
Went and saw that today, I thought it was very good, I've seen people saying it's not as good as the first one, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guardians 2 is great, probably not as good as the first but that doesn't mean it's not very enjoyable

Cass will love it, she's mad on her super hero / comic book movies. And Status Quo, and Wolves... Dunno who she takes after.

Been to see Guardians 2 after work today. Roughly the same as the first for me, but with oddly no real plot to speak of (In the grand scheme of things anyway).It's much funnier though and Drax has all the best lines. Music's better too. I think I gave the first a 5 so this gets a 6.

I've just bought myself a Cineworld Umlimited Card. Alien ticket already booked for Friday afternoon! Tempted to go down and see Guardians 2 this afternoon now as well.

im seeing the alien movie on sat. based on the clips I've seen (too many) I'm expecting to love it as a spectacle but think i'll find the story a bit shite. and I can't understand that they've announced the next one will be the sequel to Prometheus and the pre-cursor to this one. why not make them in order, fuckwits. anyway, prepare for the gore!

Just seen a trailer for Dunkirk. I generally like Christopher Nolan films, and it does look very good in the trailer.

Yeah I've got really high hopes for that one. Looks brilliant.

saw alien covenant last night. so disappointing. i know prometheus was full of plot holes and stupid humans but at least, from a sci-fi perspective, it was broad in scope. this one is very insular, with the same sort of plot weaknesses and inconsistencies. i think the underlying idea he's exploring could work, just not in the Alien universe. and cramming everything in (eventually) at breakneck speed. it lost absolutely all suspense for me. quite a feat for an alien movie. settings, acting i guess were pretty good.

they showed various dunkirk clips beforehand - looks really good.
saw the bladerunner trailer too. i'll have to watch it, but judging how he's fucking up Alien so badly for me, it'll be in hope rather than expectation.

Guardians 2, good fun and mindlessly enjoyable. Girls loved it and there are some base humour funny moments in it.

saw the bladerunner trailer too. i'll have to watch it, but judging how he's fucking up Alien so badly for me, it'll be in hope rather than expectation.

I share your fears to be honest. You just don't fuck around with something as perfect as Blade Runner. I really worry it is going to be a dog's breakfast. I will watch it in hope that it can even vaguely approach the majesty of the original but I am expecting it to work as well as the Ghostbusters re-imagining (which was meh rather than a vomit-fest, but meh compared to the original just isnt fucking good enough)

I was disappointed by Alien Covenant too. Action scenes are ok but the story and characters are poorly written. You don't care about a single one of them when the aliens are not on screen, and the first 30 mins was dull as hell apart from one action scene. Fassbender was the best thing in it as usual but even he had one horrifically awful scene (recorder nimrod?).

I also watched Arrival last night. Really good sci-fi story which was let down by a disappointing ending and a plot device which shat all over the previous 1hr 45mins. Same director who is doing Blade Runner (Villeneuve) and who did Enemy (which I thought was shit). He can do sci-fi obviously, but it's gonna need to be well written.

I really enjoyed arrival - very cleverly done.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again last night as I'm taking the better half to see the sequel tomorrow (her choice, I'm not that fussed by it) so thought I'd refresh my memory.

I enjoyed it far more than 2nd time around. Maybe because I've not seen a Marvel film for a while so didn't suffer from overkill. I thought it was decidedly average the first time I saw it but I'll bump it up to 'good and entertaining'.

I was disappointed by Alien Covenant too. Action scenes are ok but the story and characters are poorly written. You don't care about a single one of them when the aliens are not on screen, and the first 30 mins was dull as hell apart from one action scene. Fassbender was the best thing in it as usual but even he had one horrifically awful scene (recorder nimrod?).

I also watched Arrival last night. Really good sci-fi story which was let down by a disappointing ending and a plot device which shat all over the previous 1hr 45mins. Same director who is doing Blade Runner (Villeneuve) and who did Enemy (which I thought was $#@!). He can do sci-fi obviously, but it's gonna need to be well written.

Lol, yep, truly inspired scripting for that recorder scene. out of the blue as well. There were a couple other ugly scenes with him in, with Daniels and another with himself. have to stop thinking about the film , just annoys me. Maybe when others have seen it we can do an autopsy.

I liked arrival but wasn't blown away by it.

The problem with Arrival's ending is that it seems on the surface as though it's profound, deep and meaningful. But when you sit and think about what it meant for the rest of the film looking back, well it just all falls apart and creates more questions than it answers. That's why I didn't like it.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I enjoyed this more than the first one. It may well be down to seeing this on the big screen, whereas I watched the first on a 32" tv screen but it looks sensational, some truly brilliant special effects. I enjoyed the humour more (especially Drax) and (non spoiler) the scene with the dart in the spaceship was awesome.

I just felt everything in this one was a notch better than the original - sure it's not the most original plot etc but it's not the kind of film I watch for that TBH.

Oh and Karen Gillan is in this one more than the first one. And even heavily made up as a bald, psychotic blue alien, she's still lovely.

Saw Alien Covenant tonight, there were some good bits in it but overall it was a bit rubbish tbh. So many stupid people making stupid decisions and not seeming even remotely prepared for anything. Agree with Bear that you just don't really care about anyone meaning that you could have cut out at least half an hour of slow nothingness as it added zero to the viewing experience.

Manchester by the Sea - I have to say, I don't really see what all the fuss was about. It's basically a mid-afternoon TV movie melodrama with added Bostonian swearing. Watchable enough with good performances but nothing outstanding but it wasn't particularly interesting visually. And I don't understand all the plaudits for Casey Affleck - not awful but basically looked like a man in the grip of an appalling hangover for the whole thing.

Back