• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Oh my God, there's a Meg 2 coming out in August, can it top the original for being one of the worst films in history?

Not long back from seeing Oppenheimer. Not the sort of film I'd usually go and see at the cinema but definitely worth it. It's on for three hours, but at no time did I feel the need to check how long was left (unlike lots of other people in the cinema).

Not sure on how factually accurate it is (especially the parts set after the Manhattan Project) but the kind of quality film making you'd expect from Nolan.

There was a documentary about him on TV last week. I only caught the bit about the president trying to discredit him as a communist because he was against using the bombs. No doubt it's on catchup somewhere if you want to watch it.

there was also a tv series on oppenheimer made in the early 80s i think.
can't recall if it was sympathetic to him - it would be interesting to know if the passage of time has changed that at all.

Been watching them in order. Up to Dalton's first. He just seems to fit the role better for me

The Dalton films were much darker. Licence to Kill his Bond doesn’t come across as a very likeable character at all. It was an agreeable change of pace after Moore got way too old. I wouldn’t class Dalton as better than Connery, Brosnan or Craig though, and Lazenby was actually very good in his one outing.

Licence To Kill tonight. Really enjoyed both of his. Good actor. There's just something about him as Bond. Feels more believable that he's a cold killer with a bit of emotion. Perhaps a bit lacking in the shagging department. I must just prefer a darker Bond

Suppose you can't deny Connery is the classic bond - has a bit of everything, I like how he could flick from casual to agent mode as well, always on standby. Moore is too... cheesy? and just doesn't fit properly. Lazenby was quite good. Up to my era tomorrow - Brosnan

Why has it only taken me until now to discover the Asterix live action movies. Dubbing - appalling. Films - an absolute scream. Love it. Oh - and Zlatan cameo!!!

Last edited:
Had a watch party with Helen last night as we’ve both been laid up with COVID, she chose a film on Netflix called Drive. I was a bit apprehensive to say the least but I really enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling was brilliant, as was Bryan Cranston. Feels extremely 80s to start off with for some weird reason but it’s not as the film moves on. Plenty for everyone in it and Oscar Isaac looked really fucking young. Well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

Had a watch party with Helen last night as we’ve both been laid up with COVID, she chose a film on Netflix called Drive. I was a bit apprehensive to say the least but I really enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling was brilliant, as was Bryan Cranston. Feels extremely 80s to start off with for some weird reason but it’s not as the film moves on. Plenty for everyone in it and Oscar Isaac looked really fucking young. Well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.
Great film

Back