• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Thinking about it if you want a realistic depiction of Roman invasion Britain then there is Chelmsford 123. Love that show. Still holds up even though it's gotta be over 30 years old.

If ever you get chance there's a George C Scott film of the same name from the early 80's, it's good
Thanks for that recommendation! I took a glance at the wiki page for it and saw Canadian cult horror, low budget, George C. Scott and thought how has this not appeared on my radar before.

Anyway I just watched it to cheer up after the Luton debacle and what a great film. Seriously chilling and I'm a cynical old atheist. Not perfect but what is. A really great horror, well worth a watch. I used a stream but it might be worth picking up a 2nd hand DVD.

The Woman in the Wall on the iPlayer. Really good drama about the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. Loses its way a bit in the final episode as it rushes to wrap things up but it's generally excellent. And I'd happily watch Ruth Wilson just reading numbers from an old telephone directory.

The Woman in the Wall on the iPlayer. Really good drama about the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. Loses its way a bit in the final episode as it rushes to wrap things up but it's generally excellent. And I'd happily watch Ruth Wilson just reading numbers from an old telephone directory.
I've only watched the first episode but intend to watch the rest.

Might get pelters for this as it's almost as absurd as Britannia. Season 5 of Brassic is airing. Caught the first season and never thought it would get a second but we are on season 5!

If you have not seen it, it's an absurd black comedy. I really like it, fun, does not take itself seriously, makes me laugh out loud a fair bit. But I can see why people would dislike it. Plot/reality holes galore. But if you put that aside and just think of it as a comedy it works well. Soundtrack has some absolute classics as well as some contemporary stuff I like. But it's varied and ranges thru a fairly obscure track by Tom Waits to just the opening of Canned Heat's Fried Hockey Boogie as well as contemporary music. Of which I've noticed Django Django and The Record Company.

Edit to correct spelling. I'm quite stoned.

Brassic Season 5 available on Sky now. Absolute hilarious comedy.
I do enjoy it, but by Season 5 it’s starting to feel very samey. Hear about something that needs stealing. Steal it and then find out they shouldn’t have stolen it and spend the rest of the episode trying to rectify it.

Needs more Farmer Jim and Paslowski in each episode.

Brassic and Britannia are both what I call working from home tele. It's on, you're doing whatever and are half paying attention

Last edited:
Watching it now. I feel like this season has got a little silly. Still like it though. Eli from Emmerdale holds it all together (and farmer Jim!)

Brassic and Britannia are both what I call working from home tele. It's on, your doing whatever and are half paying attention
I can see that I really can. I work from home.

b3h. The plot has been silly forever. This is not a show that bothers with reality when it can just have some fun.

But I actually find Brassic (will not mention Britannia although I think the same of it, damn, just did) has a fun plot. It's full of holes but the cast are doing a great job and having fun, most of the time. Some might find the ridiculousness too much to overcome but I say 'Just go with it and enjoy the ride'. So I don't regard those shows as half concentrate shows. It's more of a payoff if you follow it, is all I mean.

As regards to feeling samey I can see that too. I haven't started season 5 yet but yeah, this has limited legs and maybe should have had a set number of seasons rather than what might appear to be a stream of much the same stuff until the ratings go down.

I've recently started back to season one. So far, towards the end of season two. I have been in stitches at times but then I find myself going: That's never going to...then I catch myself and jump back on.

Sillier*, then. Not that you've watched it yet

Sillier*, then. Not that you've watched it yet
I just can't understand how it can be silliar. Whatever man, I'm working my way thru the seasons. On middle of third. Will watch to end of season five. Maybe I'll think it should have concluded earlier. But atm it's still quiet great.

Reactions: b3h
Another week (i think) then all episodes of the new Only Murders is out. Looking forward to it

Just watched Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing episode where they go to Market Drayton. Top telly. As it always is. If anyone had suggested to me that one of my favourite things on TV would be about 2 old blokes fishing I'd have thought they were bonkers. But there it is, one of the best things on TV.

Just watched Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing episode where they go to Market Drayton. Top telly. As it always is. If anyone had suggested to me that one of my favourite things on TV would be about 2 old blokes fishing I'd have thought they were bonkers. But there it is, one of the best things on TV.
Yeah I agree it's great.

I see the fact Lee Mack appeared on the latest episode instead of Bob Mortimer (who had shingles) has caused a bit of a moan from the "anti-woke brigade" from people, because he's vegan and wouldn't join in with the fishing 😂

Currently watching The Long Shadow, based upon the book Wicked Beyond Belief which I read years ago about The Yorkshire Ripper.

Excellent so far, very authentic 1970s backdrop and well acted by a great cast with quite a few well known names too.

Really highlights the rampant sexist attitudes of the era and the dismissive attitudes towards prostitutes being killed and the change in tone once he started killing 'innocent' girls.

Back