• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "I was wrong about him" thread

Bloody hell, theres a long list from the 90s.

I remember thinking Adrian William's would be our rock at the back, how I wished that would have been true.

Tony Daley, another disappointment.
Geoff Thomas, he was excellent for us until he broke

On the flipside, Bennet was a meh signing, turned out pretty decent.
Coady was a terrible footballer in midfield and offered nothing apart from the ball bobnling off his shin

I've been wrong about loads of others these are just a few that spring to mind.

Deek Mountfield was good, there was no problem with him. Old but a decent player.

Oh he was, but being THE signing to get us over that particular line was me expecting too much. I was excited about Paul Birch joining as well, and probably for the same reason.

Paul Birch was shite. I don't like to speak ill of the dead but he was fucking rubbish and also a total fanny after Paul Tait crocked him.

I think I based my rating of him on one televised game when he marked Lothar Matthäus out of a UEFA Cup game for Villa. He was not good.

Paul Birch was shite. I don't like to speak ill of the dead but he was fucking rubbish and also a total fanny after Paul Tait crocked him.

I think I based my rating of him on one televised game when he marked Lothar Matthäus out of a UEFA Cup game for Villa. He was not good.

Looks like a good example then. I expected him to be really good for us.

Pezsko was disappointing. Tried hard whenever I saw him play (not very much) but things just didn't work for him.

Pezsko was disappointing. Tried hard whenever I saw him play (not very much) but things just didn't work for him.

Pez didn't work out because he had a cunt of a manager for half the season...

I’d rate him above his brother who we signed instead of Boniek(sp) or Platini if the rumours are to be believed. Tore up the Tamworth Sunday League a fair few years later mind.

Those I've not seen mentioned

Disappointing
Kevin Ashley - Blues mates raved about him, proved to be scared to tackle
Neil Masters - just was never fit
Kevin Keen - not terrible, but lost interest quickly

Surprising
Gordon Cowans - thought he was washed up and couldn't move. The last part was right, but he could still play
Andy Sinton - another of the over the hill brigade, but was decent for half a season

Sinton was great for a whole season!

Loved Sid too. Top footballer.

Keen was good but we always parked him out wide left which was not his best position.

I thought Sid was tremendous. For a seriously ancient chap he still played some great stuff.

My ancient memory must be playing tricks, I thought Paul Birch was decent for us? Tbf I wasn't going to a lot of games that season so probably only saw him a few times

Birch was a nothing player, one wonder goal aside, he contributed pretty much nothing for what felt like 20 seasons.

Where's Matt "finished" Jarvis on Deutsch's list?

Back