• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "I was wrong about him" thread

Langers

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Conor Coady has been mentioned numerous times on social media this week - not just because it's his birthday, but also because he's just played his 100th consecutive game for us. When you consider how good we actually are right now, that's some stat. Also, he's a superb leader both on and off the pitch, seemingly a good egg and I for one am delighted we have such a strong, positive character in the heart of our defence.

BUT - prior to his renaissance as part of our back 3, I can hold my hand up and admit I'd have been happy for us to have binned him off on a free transfer to anyone who came calling as I didn't see much from him as a midfielder or a full back in those pre-Nuno days.

It got me thinking - it's crazy just how wrong I was so here's a thread where we can admit who was wrong, about whom and how often!!

Other players I got wrong (one way or the other):

Ryan Bennett - didn't think he'd feature. Nuno was due to be appointed, I assumed he was a Lambert signing
Chris Iwelumo - made a much bigger impact than I'd have ever believed
Matt Doherty - yeah, I don't think I'm alone here...
Bjorn Sigurdarson - I really thought he was going to be a cracking player. Put in one of the laziest performances I've ever seen from a Wolves player at Rotherham in L1 - and I've seen Marlon Harewood play for us.
Roger Johnson - I doubt anyone thought he'd end up quite THAT bad

I thought Freddie Eastwood was going to be ace.

I briefly thought Valentino Shielis was a footballer. The first two minutes at Wrexham confirmed otherwise.

Doumbia - because he went from Vieira to Olofinjana in the space of a few months.

He was an odd one, and I'm not sure he counts - when he first signed on loan, he was superb for us. He put in one of the best performances I'd ever seen from a Wolves player when we beat Blackpool 4-0 - he covered every blade of grass that day. I can't recall the exact stats but we had a decent run after he joined on loan and he was a key part of that. His signing was an absolute no brainer based on his form for us before we got him on a permanent deal.

It was such a waste of a career once he hit that downward spiral mind you.

Adam Hammill
Jon Dadi

Traore*
Doherty*

*To an extent, was poor at one point

I’m sure there was someone on here who compared Bodvarsson to Bully when he first played for us...

Also Teixeira looked a great player until it turned out he really wasn’t.

Coady - think he did ok at RB offered nowt but didn't give too much away was a reliable 6/10 in a 6/10 squad. That said, thought like Saville, Edwards, Price et al he'd be binned off.

Price - the fact he could pass the ball 5-15 yards to feet was more a damning indictment of the ability of Edwards, Saville and Davis. Being the least shit magnified him quite a bit I think.

Siggy - really wanted him to come good, scored a good goal early doors away at Peterborough and thought we had a real coup on our hands. No.

I think we can all include Doherty because it was such a low bar from the player Nuno inherited to now.

Didn't have particularly high hopes for Bennett or Douglas but both were integral to the title win and for just a million quid.

Bright - really thought he'd have come good and got his ducks in a row.

I didn't say anything but some of the things written on here and elsewhere about Neto signing were outrageous, a Mendes stooge etc etc but I did assume he'd have figured more in the u23's but he's been PL ready.

Lolz people were slating Neto until about 5 games ago

Bit of an outlier here and I'm not sure if it really belongs in this thread but I had no idea how good João Moutinho was until he played for us.

I was excited about signing him but had reservations about whether or not he'd be too lightweight to play in a midfield 2 or adapt to English football. How wrong I was. Most complete central midfielder I've ever seen at Wolves and IMO the best player to ever play for the club.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Doumbia for me - I thought he would be outstanding.

On the flip side I didn’t realise how good Saiss would become for us.

We could have some fun with these!

Players I have completely underestimated
Neto
Doherty
Boly- I thought he was going to be ok but Miranda was going to be better !
Coady- Midfield Coady could do one for me. Sweeper Coady is the first name on the team sheet. what a transformation.
Moutinho. -Never saw him to be anywhere near as good as he is.

Players who really underperformed- and this could be a long list

Roger Johnson
O Hara
Frankowski
Akinbiyi
Tongo Doumbia
Miranda

Solbakken. I thought he would be our saviour.

Players who really underperformed- and this could be a long list

Roger Johnson
O Hara
Frankowski
Akinbiyi
Tongo Doumbia
Miranda

Hash to class Akinbiyi as underperforming. 16 goals in 37 league games was a decent return.

I was pretty excited for this one as well.

womp womp

There are pictures of me on the back of a "horse" with me wearing a "viking helmet" on my way to Wigan away, last game of the season, I was that happy with the news about Solbakken's imminent appointment... Oops

Hash to class Akinbiyi as underperforming. 16 goals in 37 league games was a decent return.

and then we took Leicesters eyes out with the fee. He wasn't great for them but that's for their forum to comment on

Always remember back in 1986 first time seeing our new centre forward some bloke called Bull missing two one on ones in the last 10 minutes, and thinking thats another fucking donkey we have signed.

On the other hand thought Harvard Flo was going to be decent.

+1 for Moutinho. I deffo said I was worried that Neves + Moutinho was too lightweight, deffo.

Back