• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Why are we constantly being linked with this absolute mope? Please tell me we don't have a serious interest?

Why are we constantly being linked with this absolute mope? Please tell me we don't have a serious interest?
I think there's too much smoke to say we don't. Your guess is as good as mine at what price though. I agree it'd be a poor move, but then I've been wrong multiple times before

I’d say we definitely have an interest. Some pretty reliable people have confirmed that (including Romano), but Chelsea have a ridiculous expectation of what they can get for him, so we have to move on. It also sounds like West Ham like him.

I’m not sure we’ll get a forward over the line at this point.

He hasn't looked very good but then nobody for Chelsea really has. Maybe Cole Palmer.

I would rather not bother than get Broja
Agreed.

The issue I personally have is I’d rather we kept Fraser around the squad instead of spending millions on the likes of Broja, Ings & Adams.

But on the flip side, we all know GON isn’t going to suddenly throw Fraser in to the starting lineup, so whoever we bring in needs to be someone who instantly improves us - and we’re just not going to spend that kind of money in this window.

Bit of a lose lose. They’ve been banging on about wanting a forward all month, but we’ll either be underwhelmed with whoever they bring in (looking at who we’ve been linked with so far) or underwhelmed by not doing anything at all.

Bit of a lose lose. They’ve been banging on about wanting a forward all month, but we’ll either be underwhelmed with whoever they bring in (looking at who we’ve been linked with so far) or underwhelmed by not doing anything at all.

If it is a lose-lose, then it's a self inflicted one. We're told the scouting team is constantly monitoring players in all positions so that we can move when we need to, but if that list consists of Broja, Adams, Ings and then a bunch of better players that we can't afford then it's a failure, not a 'damned if we do, damned if don't' situation.

If it is a lose-lose, then it's a self inflicted one. We're told the scouting team is constantly monitoring players in all positions so that we can move when we need to, but if that list consists of Broja, Adams, Ings and then a bunch of better players that we can't afford then it's a failure, not a 'damned if we do, damned if don't' situation.
Agreed.

I'm struggling to find the quote from Hobbs in the summer, but if I remember right he was quite bullish about January signings?

And I WOULD rather we signed Adams, Broja or Ings than no one at all, better to have an option if we are hit with injury, suspension, loss of form than not isn't it.

And I WOULD rather we signed Adams, Broja or Ings than no one at all, better to have an option if we are hit with injury, suspension, loss of form than not isn't it.
It'd be uninspiring and I don't think he fits how we play even if we discount him scoring 0 goals in almost a year, but you can just about make the case for Ings on a loan deal.

Adams won't happen for a variety of reasons and Broja would be an even more expensive Cutrone, no way is that a good idea.

It'd be uninspiring and I don't think he fits how we play even if we discount him scoring 0 goals in almost a year, but you can just about make the case for Ings on a loan deal.

Adams won't happen for a variety of reasons and Broja would be an even more expensive Cutrone, no way is that a good idea.
I should have clarified, I'd only sign Broja on loan, but all the talk is a permanent deal, and the figures quoted are ridiculous.

Agreed.

I'm struggling to find the quote from Hobbs in the summer, but if I remember right he was quite bullish about January signings?

That argument flys for short term deals on Ings or Adams. Broja can't be an option though he'd need to be the long term solution, as we aren't spending the money it would cost to get him again in the Summer.

Not sure if I would - the option of waiting for better, more available targets interests me more than signing one of these 3 who I'm not really fussed about.

As we can see from the lack of activity in the league this month, January is becoming harder each year to bring in the right players, particularly when our current short term needs aren't that pressing.

Not sure if I would - the option of waiting for better, more available targets interests me more than signing one of these 3 who I'm not really fussed about.

As we can see from the lack of activity in the league this month, January is becoming harder each year to bring in the right players, particularly when our current short term needs aren't that pressing.
We're always waiting for better though aren't we? They said exactly that in the summer.

As Del said its really disappointing if the sum of our amazing scouting network is Broja, Adams and Ings (if that does turn out to be the case) Barry from Gornal could have suggested those 3.

We're always waiting for better though aren't we? They said exactly that in the summer.

As Del said its really disappointing if the sum of our amazing scouting network is Broja, Adams and Ings (if that does turn out to be the case) Barry from Gornal could have suggested those 3.
I doubt it's the scouting that's the issue. We didn't sign a forward in the Summer because there was only the green light to do so in the last couple of days of the window so Dia for instance wasn't allowed to come as they couldn't replace him. Now we are at the pay top dollar stage of the season for someone who is playing regularly or the Danny Ings end of the market for those that aren't. I'm confident scouts and the recruitment team have identified credible targets it's the signing of the cheques that's the issue

1706178721366.png

Does he still go? I recall him seeing a girl due to her old man having a spare season ticket.

Broja just isn't good enough. Chelsea have been of a similar quality to us this season and he's been one of their worst performers, it just makes no sense to sign him at all, nevermind the ridiculous transfer fee. It'd be like Chelsea giving us £50M for Silva. He's young, highly rated (debatable), once had a good loan spell (debatable) and is probably just about as shit at putting the ball in the back of the net.

Ings I could just about understand but only on loan and only at the end of the window when every other option has exhausted itself. He'd be better than Fraser for the moment and would allow him to go on loan himself. There would be obvious problems with him in our system though and I think we'd eventually find ourselves in the same position as the first half of the season with Ings on the bench seeing 0 game time and Cunha/Hwang/Neto being ran into the ground. If you don't fit into O'Neil's way of playing you're just not going to play.

Adams I actually think is a decent footballer and one thing you could guarantee with him is that he'd run all day for you. A little underwhelming but he'd be alright. A loan is obviously out of the question though with his contract up and the asking price is too high for us in this window.

Back