• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

But I don't see the point of getting worked up about getting a striker in when it's really not THAT essential? It would be nice, but I'd much rather wait for a window that will see more opportunities to get the right player (and character) in.

I think it's a very different situation to the last window. And we'll see about the next window when the time comes.

It's nice to be relaxed about the lack of transfer activity during a window for a change TBH!
I've never understood this mindset, it's defeatest.

We're more than likely to lose Neto and maybe RAN and if we're really unfortunate Gomes.

That's not only a striker but first choice winger, LB and CM to replace too.

And we will still be fed the line we need to not spend, because with the current owners that's exactly what is going to happen.

Just for parity we got Gomes, Dawson, Cunha and Sarabia in last January.

It's not impossible to get players in of real quality at any time.

I'm in the "we don't need to do much" camp this window, but it's still, at best, an unnecessary risk to not bring in a forward.

Still, I suppose I'd rather buy nobody than buy Fabio mk.II.

I mean we literally played on Monday night and after that he was "confident we'll get something done". Fast forward to today & they're "not doable financially". You'd have thought that we'd know this kind of stuff by this point in the window. The one yesterday sounds like Broja/Chelsea to me.

As per my earlier comment, I don't think we sign anyone now. It'll be the "we tried hard but January is traditionally difficult and we're happy to have Nathan in & around the squad anyway".
It doesn't refute the opinion that Fosun have pulled the rug and that they can only sell to buy. We're reaching the end of 2 transfer windows with no signings with the exception only being that brief window we had when Nunes was sold.

I think the new summer is going to be the same, no money for transfers until Neto and/or others are sold.

I'm in the "we don't need to do much" camp this window, but it's still, at best, an unnecessary risk to not bring in a forward.

Still, I suppose I'd rather buy nobody than buy Fabio mk.II.

We're not after a long term option like Silva was supposed to be though. All we need is someone through the door for 6 months to ensure that 3/4 players aren't plowed into the ground.

Look around at other Premier League teams, we use fewer players than everyone else, our forward players are asked to work for longer than other teams and we've just sent 2 first team players off on loan for no reason. That is not a good thing.

I've never understood this mindset, it's defeatest.

We're more than likely to lose Neto and maybe RAN and if we're really unfortunate Gomes.

That's not only a striker but first choice winger, LB and CM to replace too.

And we will still be fed the line we need to not spend, because with the current owners that's exactly what is going to happen.

Just for parity we got Gomes, Dawson, Cunha and Sarabia in last January.

It's not impossible to get players in of real quality at any time.
We really only have Cunha in the squad before having to rely on Fraser as a number 9 (maybe Hwang too but it would be a waste). It's a glaring issue even if it's best practice to buy strikers in July (mind you we did it first thing January with Cunha).

Sasa's loan is probably the right move for both parties because GON was prepared to use him, which is a bit strange tbh given the above.

It doesn't refute the opinion that Fosun have pulled the rug and that they can only sell to buy. We're reaching the end of 2 transfer windows with no signings with the exception only being that brief window we had when Nunes was sold.

I think the new summer is going to be the same, no money for transfers until Neto and/or others are sold.
We'll spend around £80m in the Summer, it'll be spun as we told you to trust us and our internet superfans will lap it up. It'll be funded in the main by the sale of Neto which will be conveniently ignored.

Simply put, we're leaving ourselves short yet again.

It only takes one injury/suspension/loss of form to the forwards and we are relying on a lad who hasn't even played a Premier league game.

We'll spend around £80m in the Summer, it'll be spun as we told you to trust us and our internet superfans will lap it up. It'll be funded in the main by the sale of Neto which will be conveniently ignored.

Tbf this is how a normal club would run.

I'd be fine with that if succession planning was in place. We had Neto when Traore and Jota were playing. We're now reliant on replacing him when he's sold which comes with huge risks attached.

We're not after a long term option like Silva was supposed to be though. All we need is someone through the door for 6 months to ensure that 3/4 players aren't plowed into the ground.

Look around at other Premier League teams, we use fewer players than everyone else, our forward players are asked to work for longer than other teams and we've just sent 2 first team players off on loan for no reason. That is not a good thing.
I guess? Feels a bit pointless to me; who are we going to bring for just 6 months who is actually any good at this level?

Simply put, we're leaving ourselves short yet again.

It only takes one injury/suspension/loss of form to the forwards and we are relying on a lad who hasn't even played a Premier league game.

The issue for me is that, as talented as he clearly is, Fraser was clearly uncomfortable being part of a pressing unit against Brentford. He kept looking for confirmation from teammates over when/where to go out of possession. You can't blame him for that, it's a set of behaviours which have to be learnt. Unfortunately he's not going to get that chance here as O'Neil has already shown a reticence to use a player as good as Sasa Kalajdzic for similar reasons.

So Fraser sits on our bench, doesn't get the experience and all the while our forward line are overworked leading to an inevitable drop off in performance and increasing the likelihood of injury.

I liked Jonny too, but I think Frank Munro was better and IMO Jonny wasn't even our best full back, I think that crown should be worn by Derek Parkin.
Bobby Thomson was arguably better than Squeak.

Shi's fortunate run at the roulette table will eventually end. We've previously diced with danger without backups at centre half/centre forward and employed managers who weren't fit for purpose. We are currently light across the forward line. We'll be OK this season but at some point it will lead to danger and if we're not careful relegation.

I'd take Diallo on loan if United were up for it.

Yep, the decision to ship out Sasa seems all the more daft now, adapting our tactics to suit him better as a plan B or him to our plan A would surely have been the better solution.

However, GON thought we'd be getting someone in, so I understand it in a way too.

Shi's fortunate run at the roulette table will eventually end. We've previously diced with danger without backups at centre half/centre forward and employed managers who weren't fit for purpose. We are currently light across the forward line. We'll be OK this season but at some point it will lead to danger and if we're not careful relegation.

I'd take Diallo on loan if United were up for it.
We were fortunate the season Raul fractured his skull that's for sure.

I guess? Feels a bit pointless to me; who are we going to bring for just 6 months who is actually any good at this level?

They don't have to be amazing. I said earlier on that I'd be fine with Ings if we can't find anyone else. What we can't do is sign nobody. It'd be a ridiculous situation to put ourselves in.

Well that's what our "outstanding" scouting network is for isn't it?

Instead, it's identifying Ings, Adams and Broja (if media are to be believed) and then shrugging when none of those are financially feasible.

It's a bit shit.

Back