• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

He isn't right now, never stops crosses and attacking wise he's dining off that cross vs Palace well over a year ago.

Still empires better than Matt Doherty.

I don't know tbh. I think Doherty is better in the final 1/3 at both ends. He's absolutely useless in between obviously.

Put it another way then.

In a season where we're evidently going to finish between 9th and 14th, in the absence of Ait-Nouri what do you think is more likely to benefit Wolves long-term, picking 32 year old Matt Doherty on the wrong side or 21 year old Hugo Bueno?

If the higher ups are restricting the cash (as we assume) then the scouts should surely be identifying players that won't cost as much, as i said ages ago, Broja, Ings and Adams are hardly imaginative are they? ANd i'm sure they said during the summer that the scouts need longer to identify players which should be fine by January.
How do you know they haven't? I don't think we ever planned to sign anyone this window once relegation stopped being a realistic possibility unless it was a complete no brainer. Look at the stories coming out of the local press from mid December onwards, it's been clear since then, the information drips a slightly more negative tone until we get to days like today. Been done before, will be done again. The result is the same but I think your firing the blame in the wrong direction.

I think Bueno will become a really good player. He's still got a really low number of appearances in senior football so he's been as up and down as you'd expect but he's put in some really good performances at times and got some attributes that mean he's got a pretty high ceiling.

How do you know they haven't? I don't think we were ever planned to sign anyone this window once relegation stopped being a realistic possibility unless it was a complete no brainer. Look at the stories coming out of the local press from mid December onwards, it's been clear since then, the information drips a slightly more negative tone until we get to days like today. Been done before will be done again. The result is the same but I think your firing the blame in the wrong direction.
Of course i don't know, but surely if the scouts are suggesting players of the value of 500k-5mill you'd think/hope that the higher ups would be ok with that?

Put it another way then.

In a season where we're evidently going to finish between 9th and 14th, in the absence of Ait-Nouri what do you think is more likely to benefit Wolves long-term, picking 32 year old Matt Doherty on the wrong side or 21 year old Hugo Bueno?

Personally I don't see Bueno ever making it here. If we're just developing him for the purpose of moving him on as a home grown player for FFP purposes then fine but I'd say the difference in prize money for finishing 9th Vs 14th could be equally important.

Also, I want us to win games now. Walking home after a defeat or a draw where we should've won I'm not thinking 'at least that young player got 90 mins which might boost his value next summer'. At the moment Doherty gives us more of a chance of getting away from a game with a positive result than Bueno and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Matt 'Meatbag' Doherty at all.

Put it another way then.

Depends, if Bueno is out of form/fitness then Doherty, we've seen in the past that flogging young players when it isn't the right moment for them because we don't have a more experienced option doesn't work out well. (Fabio!)

Also if Bueno is getting beaten in the air at the back post and we are losing 1-0 to Brighton, that's worse for everyone.

At the moment Doherty gives us more of a chance of getting away from a game with a positive result than Bueno and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Matt 'Meatbag' Doherty at all.
As someone who has watched dozens of games where Matt Doherty has played a significant role in Wolves losing, I do not agree with this.

If it were Jonny playing at say 75% of his peak, then yes. Not Doherty though as I don't think it's true.

Of course i don't know, but surely if the scouts are suggesting players of the value of 500k-5mill you'd think/hope that the higher ups would be ok with that?
Is GON though? He's said today, and this I believe, that he doesn't want a body for the sake of it. I think they thought they'd get a deal for Adams over the line either on loan to the end of his contract or a cheap purchase, then he gets himself back in the side so that stops being an option either because of cost or willingness on their side

As someone who has watched dozens of games where Matt Doherty has played a significant role in Wolves losing, I do not agree with this.

If it were Jonny playing at say 75% of his peak, then yes. Not Doherty though as I don't think it's true.

That was more of a comment on Bueno than Doherty. Might I remind you that I was the original Doherty hater... 😂

I just don't think Bueno is that good at all and don't think his deficiencies are ones which can be worked on with age/experience.

Out of all the Wolves wing backs in recent times the one I would compare him to is Vinagre. He's nowhere near as talented as Rúben was and look where he is now.

This is the line they've been trotting out via t LL, PTS and Percy from December.

I can't reply because I'm blocked, but if you could let him know that 'from a cold hearted POV, he swallows more of Shi's shit than his fucking toilet does, and he should be embarrassed to have the word 'journalist' in his bio' from me, that'd be great

If we really want Broja (i'm not going to comment on whether we should or shouldn't), is the stuff we're releasing to the press to fully hammer home the point we aren't spending that kind of money, and if chelsea want a sale they're going to have to drop their price?

Back