• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Probably have the best Oline in the game, which means they can lean into the run. Last night without Sanders and Howard was banged up, but found a way through Scott. If they stay fit then 100+ a game is a given. Kelce and Johnson are still elite, just a shame they are nearing the end. With injuries on their side then Mailata and Dickerson will be protecting the left side for the next decade

Hurts has improved, still doesn't get beyond his second read before fleaing the pocket on too many occasions, but doesn't tend to turn the ball over and is very likeable character wise- the opposite to the arsehole he replaced. Couldn't have expected any more from a second round pick in his first full season. I'd still keep on eye on the Carroll, Wilson battle in Seattle though. A swap with a couple of 1sts thrown in wouldn't surprise me if the coach survives although I wouldn't do it

I watched Hurts at Alabama (U of A is probably my truest sporting love); I really thought he'd have flamed out in the NFL by now. He's an excellent athlete, absolutely no doubt there, but he's never been the strongest at going through his progressions and TT is spot on in that he gives up and runs too early. His aforementioned athleticism allows him to get away with that more than most.

He's turned a bit into Mike Vick without the dog torture. Not sure he can lead a team to a SB ring, but he could definitely be part of a team that wins it. Not sure this Philly team is good enough, but next year? If they have a good draft they could be seriously good.

Hurts is without a doubt one of the best character guys I've ever seen. A team player in every sense.

Good to hear that Landon Dickerson is also living up to his potential! Another great character, great player to come through U of A (we won't talk about the exceptions to that rule, of which there have been too many).

I watched Hurts at Alabama (U of A is probably my truest sporting love); I really thought he'd have flamed out in the NFL by now. He's an excellent athlete, absolutely no doubt there, but he's never been the strongest at going through his progressions and TT is spot on in that he gives up and runs too early. His aforementioned athleticism allows him to get away with that more than most.

He's turned a bit into Mike Vick without the dog torture. Not sure he can lead a team to a SB ring, but he could definitely be part of a team that wins it. Not sure this Philly team is good enough, but next year? If they have a good draft they could be seriously good.

Hurts is without a doubt one of the best character guys I've ever seen. A team player in every sense.

Good to hear that Landon Dickerson is also living up to his potential! Another great character, great player to come through U of A (we won't talk about the exceptions to that rule, of which there have been too many).

Surely he's nowhere near the playmaking ability running the ball as Vick. Think there's only Jackson in that category.

On Bama, what do you think about Mathis? I really like what I've seen of him against the run and it's a huge need for us as God knows what's going to happen with Tuitt.

When Vick ran with the ball, it was with more of a power back style. Hurts doesn't really put himself in danger, it's more of a change of pace style, taking the yards and sliding, whilst being elusive in x&goal situations. Has 10 running tds this year. Post peak, pre completely shot Cam is probably a better comparison

Surely he's nowhere near the playmaking ability running the ball as Vick. Think there's only Jackson in that category.

On Bama, what do you think about Mathis? I really like what I've seen of him against the run and it's a huge need for us as God knows what's going to happen with Tuitt.
There is only 1 QB in NFL history with 6+ rushing TDs in his first 4 seasons and it isn't Vick or Jackson. 😛😛

Last edited:
When Vick ran with the ball, it was with more of a power back style. Hurts doesn't really put himself in danger, it's more of a change of pace style, taking the yards and sliding, whilst being elusive in x&goal situations. Has 10 running tds this year. Post peak, pre completely shot Cam is probably a better comparison
I honestly have no memory of Vick ever being a power guy. He was always about explosion and elusiveness in Atlanta. Suppose I can't speak to his time in Philly.

The elusiveness is where I'm drawing the comparison tbf.

D linemen are a total crapshoot when making the transition. Big Phil has the potential to be a solid NFL player but I doubt he'll be a superstar and there's no guarantee he makes an impact at all.

I wouldn't call him an especially high risk draft pick, however. He's got the tools.

I honestly have no memory of Vick ever being a power guy. He was always about explosion and elusiveness in Atlanta. Suppose I can't speak to his time in Philly.

The elusiveness is where I'm drawing the comparison tbf.
If you look at number 1 and 2 on here he runs through the guts of the defense. That's the sort of play I was referring to

Fair enough, I still see those runs as examples of elusiveness but understand now what you were getting at.

Easy to forget how good he was for Atlanta at times.

There is only 1 QB in NFL history with 6+ rushing TDs in his first 4 seasons and it isn't Vick or Jackson. 😛😛
Jim McMahon? ;)

1 in '82, 2 in '83, 2 in '84 and 3 in '85

Last edited:
Tom Brady doesn't, are you saying Allen's better than the GOAT?

Better than Manning or Brees?
Of course I'm not. But you seem to want to put words in my mouth. Read back over the thread, and you will notice that I posted a FACT, as a light hearted response (the emojis were there for the hard of understanding like yourself) to wsWolf who stated that Vick and Jackson were the only dynamic rushing QBs. But you seem to want to argue some point about Josh Allen that I have never made. But that's you in a nutshell isn't it?

Allen has too much to prove yet, Dire. If he wins the AFC or an SB this season then we can start thinking about putting him in that rarified air. Not before.

Stats are fine and all but ask Dan Marino how many yards he'd have given up to win a championship. I bet it's a lot of them.

Allen has too much to prove yet, Dire. If he wins the AFC or an SB this season then we can start thinking about putting him in that rarified air. Not before.

Stats are fine and all but ask Dan Marino how many yards he'd have given up to win a championship. I bet it's a lot of them.
I'm not putting him in that rarified air yet. But I keep pointing out facts that absolutely show he is much, much better than you and others give him credit for. He isn't anywhere an all time great and he may never be, but he is absolutely in the top 6 QBs currently in the NFL based on production.

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Burrow

These are probably the top 4 right now. Allen has a definite case to be next on the list along with Prescott and Stafford. No-one else really worthy of consideration. And Allen has led his team to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years. I think you and Johnny are both trying to make out I've said something I haven't.

And as for something to prove? Rodgers has won 1 Superbowl/NFC championship in what, 14 seasons? Maybe he has something to prove, that's a poor return for an all time great really. Or maybe he's only won once because the team around him has been flawed and even a sure fire HoF QB can't do it all by himself.

Josh Allen currently has the 15th best QBR in the league, just behind Derek Carr and just ahead of Mac Jones.

And as for something to prove? Rodgers has won 1 NFC championship in what, 14 seasons? Maybe he has something to prove, that's a poor return for an all time great really. Or maybe he's only won once because the team around him has been flawed and even a sure fire HoF QB can't do it all by himself.
Rodgers has an SB ring, Allen doesn't. We'll see if Allen has one (or more) by the time he is Rodgers' age. I, unsurprisingly, am not convinced Allen will ever be a part of team that wins one.

Of course I'm not. But you seem to want to put words in my mouth. Read back over the thread, and you will notice that I posted a FACT, as a light hearted response (the emojis were there for the hard of understanding like yourself) to wsWolf who stated that Vick and Jackson were the only dynamic rushing QBs. But you seem to want to argue some point about Josh Allen that I have never made. But that's you in a nutshell isn't it?
No need for this really is there, nobody has attacked you personally yet that is what you have resorted to.

It's pretty vile tbh and you're better than that when you discuss stuff properly.

I'm not putting him in that rarified air yet. But I keep pointing out facts that absolutely show he is much, much better than you and others give him credit for. He isn't anywhere an all time great and he may never be, but he is absolutely in the top 6 QBs currently in the NFL based on production.

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Burrow

These are probably the top 4 right now. Allen has a definite case to be next on the list along with Prescott and Stafford. No-one else really worthy of consideration. And Allen has led his team to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years. I think you and Johnny are both trying to make out I've said something I haven't.
I wouldn't disagree with that Top 4, although if he were playing I'd make it a 5 with Watson. I agree Allen is in the next tier with the players you mention plus Murray and Jackson who can all elevate their teams on their day, but equally can throw 3 picks and lose it for them. Tannehill is underated, doesn't have the highs and lows of the others, but manages the game well in terms of what's expected of him

Back