• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

I don’t know what I’ll do if Watson signs for NO, but I won’t be happy.

Falcons have no money. Got to stick with Ryan one more year then can cut for a $25m ish cap hit next year. Can barely sign FAs and draft picks again, Ridley getting suspended has actually provided a little bit of room to do so.

Mental how the whole team can basically have so few good players yet be so messed up on cap space.

On Adams, he’s pretty much undefendable 1v1, so if you’ve got him, Waller and then Jacobs and Renfrow then that’s a pretty outrageous offense.
The AFC West is the division of doom. 4 good to great QBs (Carr is the worst and he's still pretty good), and all of them stocking up on decent weapons on offense. It could come down to which if them has the best D, and with the Chargers pairing Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack it might just be them. They'll beat up on each other and maybe leave Buffalo to take the AFC number 1 seed.

Falcons have no money. Got to stick with Ryan one more year then can cut for a $25m ish cap hit next year. Can barely sign FAs and draft picks again, Ridley getting suspended has actually provided a little bit of room to do so.

Mental how the whole team can basically have so few good players yet be so messed up on cap space.

On Adams, he’s pretty much undefendable 1v1, so if you’ve got him, Waller and then Jacobs and Renfrow then that’s a pretty outrageous offense.
Ryan's looking at trade options and agreed move his bonus back 4 days to do so

Haven't seen it mentioned yet that Baker Mayfield has asked the Browns to trade him. They've said no, as it seems Deshaun Watson has already ruled out Cleveland.

I don’t really get how it works, but if someone was to trade for him then they’d have to take on his ridiculous contract, who is going to do that?
They could cut him and eat $28m this year and next. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in isolation but enables them to get a franchise quarter back for the next decade - if you are prepared to ignore the wider issues that come with him. You'd only do it if you get the green light from him that he's chosen Atlanta over New Orleans. That much dead money whilst giving up first round picks for 3 years is a big price to pay.

They could cut him and eat $28m this year and next. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in isolation but enables them to get a franchise quarter back for the next decade - if you are prepared to ignore the wider issues that come with him. You'd only do it if you get the green light from him that he's chosen Atalanta over New Orleans. That much dead money whilst giving up first round picks for 3 years is a big price to pay.
That's a bit further north than he has in mind, I think. ;)

Haven't seen it mentioned yet that Baker Mayfield has asked the Browns to trade him. They've said no, as it seems Deshaun Watson has already ruled out Cleveland.
If Watson does go to the Falcons is quite like Mayfield. Think there's real talent there, it's just keeping him off social media and less of a dick.

If Watson does go to the Falcons is quite like Mayfield. Think there's real talent there, it's just keeping him off social media and less of a dick.
If Payton was still coaching I'd agree. As it is, we could still do a lot worse (I would have been okay with signing Trubisky ffs).

We're going to learn a lot about Pete Carmichael this season.

I'd also take a QB who is a dick over one who forces people to look at his schlong when they don't want to.

The Browns briefing that they want an adult at QB is quite telling and somewhat ironic given what type of adult they were prepared to take in Watson before he turned them down

I honestly don't think Watson is quite as evil as you all believe. He made mistakes (which maybe gradually got worse since nobody stopped him), but there are no accusations of beating people up or worse.

Anyway, in the NFL it is success that matters. If he wins games then he will be welcome on any team.

cue vitriolic responses

I honestly don't think Watson is quite as evil as you all believe. He made mistakes (which maybe gradually got worse since nobody stopped him), but there are no accusations of beating people up or worse.

Anyway, in the NFL it is success that matters. If he wins games then he will be welcome on any team.

cue vitriolic responses
Bit of sexual assault never did anybody any harm...

Harvey Weinstein says hi by the way.

I think if you read what he did along with the coercion and power that was involved there isn't any doubt what kind of person he is. The acts happened he doesn't dispute that, just the consent or lack of element. He's a scumbag

They could cut him and eat $28m this year and next. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in isolation but enables them to get a franchise quarter back for the next decade - if you are prepared to ignore the wider issues that come with him. You'd only do it if you get the green light from him that he's chosen Atlanta over New Orleans. That much dead money whilst giving up first round picks for 3 years is a big price to pay.

$28m cap hit plus $40m cap space for Watson. To my knowledge that would be totally unworkable.

$28m cap hit plus $40m cap space for Watson. To my knowledge that would be totally unworkable.
You give a him a new contract and convert the Watson cap to a roster bonus which then gets spread across the rest of his contract so that $40m becomes $8m over 5 years for example even though he still gets the $40m this year

You give a him a new contract and convert the Watson cap to a roster bonus which then gets spread across the rest of his contract so that $40m becomes $8m over 5 years for example even though he still gets the $40m this year

Right so you load it up in the later years When the Ryan cap shackles are off.

Just funky accounting which is not too dissimilar to what we do over here for FFP

Right so you load it up in the later years When the Ryan cap shackles are off.

Just funky accounting which is not too dissimilar to what we do over here for FFP
Yep, can only be done with a new contract, but given the cost it'll to take get him resources wise I doubt that'll be a concern to them. You can also restructure other players to get where you need to in a similar principle eventually that catches up with you though like Philly releasing Fletcher Cox to save $18m yesterday even though it costs them about $30m on the cap. The balance is money he's already got in bonuses pushed back. You have to think of it as 2 seperate pots - cap money and real money. The cap is driven by the value of the NFL so teams work on the principle it will continue to go up so putting hits in later years doesn't have the real value that it does today

Last edited:
Back