• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

No, his opinion is the tackle is the most valuable as you can have an average QB and if they're upright for long enough they'll get you wins.

Have a terrible tackle then it doesn't matter how good your QB is they can't do a lot underneath an OLB or DT.
Well he knows a lot more than I do, and I seem to be wrong on everything right now, but there is a reason why the QB earns a lot more than anyone else. The elite QB is a game winner, not a game manager. He will find and make the pass with a 5% touchdown probability.

If the Broncos have a good season we will both be proven right.

The QB offers off field stuff that the LT doesn't, notably in free agency. Look at all the players who were going to leave the Bucs coming back because of Brady, or wide receivers going where they believe the QB will give them the most catches. With the exception of a QB moving nobody is choosing a team on who the LT is.

I think it's the most important position in any team sport, or at least any I have knowledge of

The QB offers off field stuff that the LT doesn't, notably in free agency. Look at all the players who were going to leave the Bucs coming back because of Brady, or wide receivers going where they believe the QB will give them the most catches. With the exception of a QB moving nobody is choosing a team on who the LT is.

I think it's the most important position in any team sport, or at least any I have knowledge of
Again Michael Lewis thinks you're wrong.

I've no doubt that the QB is an important leader and other players will look to them.

I would bet that a returning QB looks who the blindside tackle is and the depth of the O-line before going back.

I also bet no wide receiver wants to play in a run first offence, regardless of who the QB is.

I would bet that a returning QB looks who the blindside tackle is and the depth of the O-line before going back.
I said that in my post
I also bet no wide receiver wants to play in a run first offence, regardless of who the QB is.
How many offenses are run first these days by design rather than necessity due to who the QB is? You'd say Cleveland were under Baker I'm be surprised if they will be under Watson. Philadelphia spent half a season, not being one, they only changed because the QB can't throw. Colts probably will be, but again the run pass ratio will change now they don't have to hide Wentz

Colts, 49'ers, Titans, Panthers, Browns, Saints and Ravens were all run first offences last season for one reason or another.

But my point and that of Lewis is that keeping the passer upright and protected first and foremost is one of the primary concerns.

Do that and the rest will follow.

As I love to say:

A good offensive line (and elite defense, in fairness) helped Trent Dilfer win a SB.

I don't think anyone would argue you can win one with a bad QB (otherwise the Colts would have at least made the playoffs), but a "game manager" can absolutely lead a team to a championship, IMO.

Chiefs have told Hill he can look for a trade as they can't agree a contract.

Jets or Dolphins apparently

Last edited:
Interesting to see how he does somehere else. Obviously ridiculously quick which makes him difficult to cover, but I think some of his success is Mahomes managing to escape pressure and throw on the run. So if the QB can’t stay on his feet or make those throws then he’s just not going to have elite impact for the likely salary invested.

Confirmed traded to the Dolphins, not sure Tua necessarily has the arm for the deep balls that have made Hill such a threat. Time will tell I guess, big loss for the Chiefs though.

Tua can absolutely throw the deep ball if he has time to do so.

Tua can absolutely throw the deep ball if he has time to do so.
I didn't see a lot of him last year and I know first season they were seemingly restricting him to short plays. I guess that was more trying to protect a rookie QB though.

Their WR room is strong now with Hill, Wilson and Waddle. Won't be many teams with a better 3.

Terron Armstead set to sign for Miami, too.

That's a huge deal, Armstead might be the best O line player around. Huge loss for NO, too.

Relatively cheap deal position and quality wise as well given last years injury. No excuses for Tua. Everything the Dolphins have given us is this year, so if he flops they can still make a move in next years draft

And Parker.

When did Wilson sign for them? Thought he was at the 49ers.
Dallas Wilson Cedric, always did very well when one of their top 3 was missing. I think they'll trade Parker, he won't want to be number 4

Rumours that Brady is looking for a trade out of Tampa Bay.

I assume he still wants to go to SF, it's why he 'retired' in the first place, but TB wouldn't release his registration so he had to go back or properly retire.

Edit Miami apparently

Back