• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Oscillating Wildly Thread

Talksport is like the daily mail of radio. I used to listen to it until you see their formula. Take an issue, one presenter takes one stance, the other presenter takes the other stance. They say things to anger/outrage listeners so they call in to agree/disagree repeat in finitum.
Why does every Wolves fan who can loosely be described as a journalist, take the same anti Fosun, anti Mendes stance? Quite a long piece here about 8 minutes in on the 17:30 section. Most of it is inaccurate or at best a biased take on things. I do have some sympathy for the question as to whether this move is in Neves' best interests though.

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1499518800

While you're at it Dan could you get people to stop calling him George?

Why does every Wolves fan who can loosely be described as a journalist, take the same anti Fosun, anti Mendes stance? Quite a long piece here about 8 minutes in on the 17:30 section. Most of it is inaccurate or at best a biased take on things. I do have some sympathy for the question as to whether this move is in Neves' best interests though.

Most of it is bullshit. Very disappointed with the Wolves fan "journalist" who seems to have extremely little understanding of the current set-up at Wolves, and the talksport presenter talking about 3rd party ownership of Neves and how he doesn't have proof but it happens over there. Also discussing Mendes having some ownership stake in Wolves and again saying I have no proof, probably best to shut up you idiot before you find yourself in trouble.

As I explained on the Neves thread, the key is three year rolling period for FFP measurement.

If you buy Neves for £15m but give him a five year contract, then his value for FFP is £3m a season. And as it is a rolling measurement, his cost for FFP is only ever going to be effectively £9m. As soon as the fourth chunk of £3m comes into play, the first year's £3m drops out of the calculation.

I assume wages count as well as transfer fees too?

So that to me is more of a risk because paying several better players in this division skews the FFP more as we don't have the PL TV payments to help offset that.

Say we are paying him £40k a week. That is £2m a year. Even with wages factored in, the rolling three years means that the whole of the transfer fee might count over a 3 year period. So even with wages, for FFP, Neves is £5m a year. And we can go to £39m over a three year period. If it ever gets tight and we look like not getting promoted then we sell ONE player and it will easily keep us under.

Yeah, so in reality neves will cost us £5m per season. It won't take many of those to push us into needed to sell a big asset or 2 per season.

So on my calculations, on transfers only (wages not included) and including the signings from last season with the length of contract taken into account we have "used up" £8.558m of our £13m FFP "budget" for the coming season.

Say Leeds really do give us £4.5m for Batth and Doc does that money go as a "credit" towards our permitted losses in this FFP year meaning this year we would now currently be at £4.058m?

I don't know, they're worried they might not have things to moan about?

It's pretty much the dream scenario, stupidly wealthy owners who are prepared to spend and aren't batshit crazy. I'm struggling to see a downside here

I don't know if neves really wants to be here or not, but if we take Costa as an example. If Costa wanted to go he could easily get a move but he hasn't. I think they've both bought into the project

I don't know, they're worried they might not have things to moan about?

It's pretty much the dream scenario, stupidly wealthy owners who are prepared to spend and aren't bat$#@! crazy. I'm struggling to see a downside here

I don't know if neves really wants to be here or not, but if we take Costa as an example. If Costa wanted to go he could easily get a move but he hasn't. I think they've both bought into the project

The simple promise to Neves and Costa "we will be in the Premiership next season - well you will be regardless."

Dan I'm assuming you're covering caretaker managers as well ?

I think Peter Shirtliffs exemplary record deserves recognition :)

No caretakers, I don't really want to try to eke out a couple of thousand words reminiscing over the one game I saw under Shirtliff (0-0 against Grimsby and Marsden broke his leg) :icon_lol:

Plus I haven't got it in me to talk about the TC days. It's too soon.

Poor Terry.

1810f03abd15b3a1d526e2d61a710c40.jpg

I'd love to read about the ups and downs of the owners (and Mr Moxley) post-Bhatti brothers. That would be some class stuff and would probably rub a fair few people up the wrong way. Cutting edge shit.

I haven't forgotten about this series (although it won't be a "summer series" now, more a "fill the rest of 2017 series").

This season I think I'm going to preview the away games (most of them anyway) and review the home games. Doing 46 previews is going to get repetitive and doubling down on home games is a bit overkill. So there'll be some kind of a report/player ratings for Boro and Yeovil, then a preview for Derby and maybe Hull if I can think of enough things to say in two pieces that will only be three/four days apart.

Once again thanks for all the social media support and comments on here regarding the FFP (and more) article.

Got excited when this got bumped up, thought we had the second installment

giphy.webp

It needs to be right before it comes out. The FFP piece could have gone out a couple of weeks before it did, but it wouldn't have been as withering.

I haven't forgotten about this series (although it won't be a "summer series" now, more a "fill the rest of 2017 series").

This season I think I'm going to preview the away games (most of them anyway) and review the home games. Doing 46 previews is going to get repetitive and doubling down on home games is a bit overkill. So there'll be some kind of a report/player ratings for Boro and Yeovil, then a preview for Derby and maybe Hull if I can think of enough things to say in two pieces that will only be three/four days apart.

Once again thanks for all the social media support and comments on here regarding the FFP (and more) article.

I'm looking forward to your Q & A with Spiers. I'm hoping it might open up some opportunities for you

Back