• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Photography Thread

Does anyone take photos in RAW?
What are the advantages and are there any disadvantages/things to be wary of?

Why would you use RAW rather than than edit photo in Photoshop or Picasa3?

I’ve got a loft full of old 6x4 photographs which I wouldn’t mind digitising. Has anyone got an experience of the easier/quickest way of doing it? Or will it be a case of spending the dark winter nights huddled over a flatbed scanner?

I have a whole load of great railway photos I took when I worked for BR, then I scanned them all in....
Perfect with Picasa.
Only takes about 15 seconds for a scan.

Did you see the Grand Designs programme where a guy bought one of the rock houses & did it up?
He was nuts, but the first time |I've seen merit in that programme.

No, I never watch Grand Designs. I'll try and catch it if I can as I'd like to see what he did with it! It's a lovely place.

Well worth a good look on 4od or similar mate.
The guy transformed the place. I abhor the programme, but the guy doing it made it very watchable. First time I've ever sat & watched a whole episode.

Well worth a good look on 4od or similar mate.
The guy transformed the place. I abhor the programme, but the guy doing it made it very watchable. First time I've ever sat & watched a whole episode.

Mental how much manual labour he put in.

Absolutely Kenny.
Unbelievable that he carried it through all the way to the end too!
Did finish very well though.

IMG_20151002_133438615-01.jpg

I've just downloaded Snapseed Langers. This is my first attempt - the beach in Pembrokeshire we stayed near last week.

Cheers!

Does anyone take photos in RAW?
What are the advantages and are there any disadvantages/things to be wary of?

Why would you use RAW rather than than edit photo in Photoshop or Picasa3?

I use RAW all the time, but equally I know good photographers who only use jpeg. The advantage is that more information is captured. You still need to edit in Photoshop etc but you can adjust the white balance and can increase or decrease exposure and hence contrast more. When your camera produces a jpeg, it adjusts the image to produce what it thinks is the best image. This doesn't happen with RAW. The big disadvantage with RAW is that the file size is much greater, so you can't get as many images on the same size memory card, and takes longer to write to the card. Hence most sports photographers use jpeg because they are shooting at tens of frames per second.

And yes, Snapseed is ace

Thanks Doog,

I asked that prior to covering my mates wedding.
I had 4 small (old) memory cards totalling about 3gb.

By the end of the whole thing I'd taken 1200 photos in jpeg at high quality setting.
Think I'd have been bollixed doing it in RAW. Plus I took a lot of photos in 'burst' and I'm not sure how that would have worked either, if it would have worked at all...

You made the right choice. My RAW files are about 3Mb each and you wouldn't have been able to write the files to the card quickly enough if you were shooting in burst.

A mate of mine went to Bulgaria a few years back and took some absolutely amazing photos of the Buzludzha monument.

This isn't his photo but just look at it!

435.jpg

I could spend hours in there.

Back