• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road to Russia 2018

K5x3O9W.jpg

England v Scotland Friday night kick off? The police are going to love that!

If we make the quarter finals or better of Euro 2016 (we should) I'd be amazed if it weren't Hodgson.

Incidentally appointing Guardiola would be ludicrous. He has managed Barca and Bayern with a more or less limitless budget at the latter. He plays football that no country in the world could play choosing players of a single nationality, you need superstars all over the park. It would be akin to handing Picasso three worn down wax crayons and a sheet of A4 and asking him to do his stuff. And when I say Picasso, I mean as he is in 2015 when he's been dead for decades.

Just posted the same on the football news thread.

Sorry LJ, I only spotted that afterwards.

Incidentally appointing Guardiola would be ludicrous. He has managed Barca and Bayern with a more or less limitless budget at the latter. He plays football that no country in the world could play choosing players of a single nationality, you need superstars all over the park. It would be akin to handing Picasso three worn down wax crayons and a sheet of A4 and asking him to do his stuff. And when I say Picasso, I mean as he is in 2015 when he's been dead for decades.

My thoughts too but the clowns at the FA will probably offer him a couple of Kings ransoms to go along with the wax crayons. I expect that Mourinho will be getting plenty of mentions before long too.

Rooney in central midfield then. Joy.

Where's Barkley?

No idea where Barkley is, he should be in there. Why is Walcott in there and Rooney in midfield, why?

He's going to play with two wide men given the make up of that squad, if Alli's playing too then I guess there's no room for Barkley.

I have no idea what he's going to do tbf. From that lot I'd go:

-----------------Forster-----------------

Walker-----Smalling---Stones------Shaw

--------Alli-----Dier----Drinkwater------

------Sterling---Kane----Vardy-----------

But he won't do that. Rooney will play for a start obviously.

Out of protest given the abject surrender against Iceland I am not watching or listening or buying tickets for this match. Pathetic shower. My toys are still out of my pram.

He's going to play with two wide men given the make up of that squad, if Alli's playing too then I guess there's no room for Barkley.

I have no idea what he's going to do tbf. From that lot I'd go:

-----------------Forster-----------------

Walker-----Smalling---Stones------Shaw

--------Alli-----Dier----Drinkwater------

------Sterling---Kane----Vardy-----------

But he won't do that. Rooney will play for a start obviously.

Lallana in for Vardy and i would go with that, simply because i don't think Vardy plays the wider role well enough. I wouldn't mind Vardy upfront either instead of Kane. Still think Rashford should be in there too, he could play anywhere in that front 3.

Seriously are we back to suffering England again, I've only just got over the Iceland debacle.
Don't expect a thriller but I think England will be better organised and harder to beat under Sam, really I'm dreading the Scotland games and all the rhetoric that flies around from the tartan army.

You can't get much harder to beat than 10 wins out of 10 tbf which is what Hodgson managed in the last set of qualifiers. We'll cruise through this group while probably playing some pretty dismal stuff along the way and then we have to hope Sam's remit isn't merely to beat whoever the equivalent of Slovakia and Iceland are at the next World Cup. If we're going to forego any kind of aesthetics as we probably will, I want a proper payoff or he can GTFO.

I think this groups a tad harder, will probably watch next Sunday on the basis there's nothing else on. Will avoid the Scotland games like the plague, lived up there for 4 years and will never live it down if they beat us.

Rooney will probably play behind the forward, as he is doing at United, getting in the way of Alli or Barkley who would be some real use there now too. I can't imagine many are ever going to be happy with what Allardyce does mind!

Mark me down as deeply sceptical. Not quite on a McClaren level of 'this will obviously be a disaster' but I've never enjoyed watching his teams so I don't see why that'll change now.

Back