• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Why would it be a miniscule budget? And what is a miniscule budget?

They won't sign 2 strikers if we're not selling any of our forwards, not a chance. Especially as an injured Sasa will be back too.

Have you been living under a rock for the last year? We won't spend much without raising funds first.

We definitely need 2 strikers. Silva will be sold and Kalajdzic will be no use to anybody next season.

Have you been living under a rock for the last year? We won't spend much without raising funds first.
I'm all aboard the Glasgow "Fosun are going nuts with £££ this summer" train. Nothing, not even facts, can get me off it

We definitely need 2 strikers. Silva will be sold and Kalajdzic will be no use to anybody next season.
No, I'm arguing that actually we'll have about 20-30 million net to spend, or you've just been conned like all the bellends saying we'd have got a points deduction had we bought a striker in January.

We still have the cash that we didn't spend in January that Hobbs said we had last summer and this January, we have the pennies that will roll in from Podence (and other minor sales), the savings made on Silva and Sasa from the wage budget, and we'll have the additional prize money from coming higher than 17th which was budgeted for.

We don't HAVE to sell to buy, that's bollocks.

If Man Utd bid any more than £40m for Gomes he'll be off. He'll want to go and we'll see it as a good return on his original fee.

No, I'm arguing that actually we'll have about 20-30 million net to spend, or you've just been conned like all the bellends saying we'd have got a points deduction had we bought a striker in January.

We still have the cash that we didn't spend in January that Hobbs said we had last summer and this January, we have the pennies that will roll in from Podence (and other minor sales), the savings made on Silva and Sasa from the wage budget, and we'll have the additional prize money from coming higher than 17th which was budgeted for.

We don't HAVE to sell to buy, that's bollocks.

£20-30M is miniscule.

If we want to do anything significant and ensure that the players we bring in are of the required quality then we do need to sell.

And yes we NEED 2 strikers, but we won't sign 2, not a chance.

We were supposedly after only 1 in January and that was with Sasa and Fabio alread gone.

£20-30M is miniscule.

If we want to do anything significant and ensure that the players we bring in are of the required quality then we do need to sell.
OK well there we go, which is why I asked what your definition of miniscule is.

We can get a back up keeper, young back up RWB and a squad player striker for 20-30m.

So we sell players of the required quality to replace them with players that are hopefully of the required quality? Seems daft to me.

I'd be amazed if Sasa played again in 2024 and in any case O'Neil doesn't rate him/see a use for him in his style of play.
Of course, but from a financial point of view he's still on the books and commanding a salary, so that will restrict the liklihood of us signing 2 strikers.

We've never been overstocked with strikers during Fosun's tenure have we? Going back to Bonatini!

I have never been a Semedo fan, especially given what he cost, but this season he has been fantastic and would now be a massive loss if he were to go. However he is replaceable and I think we could get a similar player with similar attributes for the same amount of money we received for him. Unfortunately his contract situation muddies any of this thinking and I'm sure we have to consider any decent offer.

The point being we already need one (if he misses any games at all we have a huge problem), do you want to be trying to buy two?

So we sell players of the required quality to replace them with players that are hopefully of the required quality? Seems daft to me.

“Essentially, every summer I probably have to sell someone at a high value. The fewer I can sell to raise money, the stronger we will be as a club. Let’s say I want to raise £60m to invest next summer. If I can sell one to do that, that is much better than selling two or three.”

I don't know how the messaging could be any clearer here.

I think it's very likely that the club will see Doherty as the back up RWB next season too, especially as Semedo's injury record is so good.

Our most valuable players, almost by definition, have to be of the "required quality" for this level, else they wouldn't be valuable.

It's just where we're at right now. We aren't raising significant funds off the likes of Hugo or Fabio.

It’s just the reality for clubs like us, we need to make money from sales in order to improve the overall squad while staying within the financial rules that are in place.

We sold players for significant sums last season, you're all mugs if you feel we need to do it to a large extent again this season.

We had money put aside for a January striker signing, that hasn't been spent.

Back