• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Top 3 goalscorers in the Championship
Szmodics
Whittaker
Armstrong

I wouldn't want any of them, it's not the lap of honour GFFH thinks it is

Where have I said that?
There’s more to being a PL striker than goals, judge each individual on what they’d bring to the team.

Where have I said that?
There’s more to being a PL striker than goals, judge each individual on what they’d bring to the team.
You've posted for the first time in weeks and you were the one who mentioned goals, I'm comfortable with my statement.

You've posted for the first time in weeks and you were the one who mentioned goals, I'm comfortable with my statement.
and you decided to mention other players just because they’ve scored goals, thinking we’d be interested in them aswell?
A bit bizarre.

I haven't seen Sargent play this season but his stats look really good. Averaging over a goal a game, exceeding his xG and his metrics look very impressive - albeit they're comparing to the 'next 14' rather than the top leagues.

But purely looking at the data, there looks like there's something there.

Exceeding xG isn’t necessarily a good way to assess a players ability!

I simply cannot fathom Josh Sargent as a Premier League footballer. And I can fathom a lot.

Who knows if he would be a success after a tough time when he first came but he’s definitely catching the eye now. Only 23, he’s benefitting from being the first choice number 9, after Pukki finally moved on, and has really strengthened up with a good presence about him.
It’s only an interest anyway, along with many other players we like.

Sargent is still only 23. Not many forwards are the finished article even at that age. As I said when we were linked not the most exciting player but nowhere near as bad as some on here proclaimed.

Sargent is still only 23. Not many forwards are the finished article even at that age. As I said when we were linked not the most exciting player but nowhere near as bad as some on here proclaimed.
Excellent... There's hope for Fabio yet, then

First impressions count for a lot, particularly when playing for a lower-profile PL club who aren't on TV as often as the big teams, and he did look truly appalling for Norwich to start with, including some comedy misses.

He does seem to have improved and his work ethic has never been in question but I'd like to think as an upwardly mobile mid-table club (at least in theory) we could do better than that given a reasonable budget and a whole summer to find someone.

Across the Bundesliga and Premier League Josh Sargent has 13 goals in 96 games. It's quite the leap.

You think Sargent would get 10 Prem goals for us?

Hwang has got 10 Premier League goals and nobody would have predicted that last summer. Most of the time Hwang has been with us it his goal scoring record has been mediocre at best. The difference this season is we are getting these players in positions where they are more likely to score…so yes I think he “could“ score that many goals…would is too certain. But as players, they are both the type of hard working player who would fit into this team…but of the current 5 forwards he is more like for like with Hwang than the others.

I don't think we have an analogue for Sargent (or his archetype, anyway). He certainly couldn't slot into a fluid trio like we currently have with our forwards.

Sargent looks quite slow and lethargic/ambling if that's the right word.

Not sure he's what we need through the middle.

Back