• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

Fingers crossed for another Futsal exponent, the poor commentators having to find something interesting to say about him

I think 35-40m is realistic (don't forget the English tax). Would Mosquera be good enough to replace him?
What is the realistic value of Pedro given his injury record? Not sure it will have had that much effect as its mainly hamstrings which most big clubs would expect to manage ok as they wouldn't need to run him into the ground, would he still bring in 45-50m?
If the above is right then that's 80ish million coming in. The issue is what percentage would Gaz have at his disposal.

Why? They did last summer and he's improved since then.
I think all clubs, who buy in the Summer , will be far more wary of how they spend money . They will all want value from now on . Even if they off load a player for € 30 m themselves , why should they then spend it all on just one more player , when they might be able to get two players for that price .
Kilman is a reasonable player , but he's not a centre half that's getting 7.5/10 every match he plays.....i.e really solid and consistent . He's has improved , but I'd suggest that there is better value out there .

In fact it's now fair to say that the most important person now at every club is the ' Matthew Hobbs ' equivalent .

On top of that , this season is the first season where the PL have actually followed up on FFP and have actually docked points off clubs - prior to this it was just a threat that some clubs thought would never happen .

I struggle to see how a player who you had to change your entire formation to accommodate the weaknesses of has had a good season without at least acknowledging that *. Anybody that buys him and I hope someone is stupid enough to, will run into that problem soon enough

I struggle to see how a player who you had to change your entire formation to accommodate the weaknesses of has had a good season without at least acknowledging that *. Anybody that buys him and I hope someone is stupid enough to, will run into that problem soon enough

I'm no massive Kilman fan but that's not what we've done

We moved to 3 centre halves because of him (and Dawson), I appreciate the hybrid role Toti is sometimes given, but that is undeniable surely?

No, it is deniable. O'Neil & Hobbs have both talked at length about why we've made certain tactical decisions this season, none of them have been to hide Kilman's weaknesses.

So, we didn't move to 3 at the back, because we couldn't defend in a 2? We didn't take off an additional offensive player from the 4231ish we mainly started the season with to add an additional defender and that wasn't because we conceded too many goals? If GON had a back two he could trust he wouldn't go back to that or a version of it?

I mean they are hardly going to say we changed the formation because we don't have 2 centre halves we trust are they?

So, we didn't move to 3 at the back, because we couldn't defend in a 2? We didn't take off an additional offensive player from the 4231ish we mainly started the season with to add an additional defender and that wasn't because we conceded too many goals? If GON had a back two he could trust he wouldn't go back to that or a version of it?

I mean they are hardly going to say we changed the formations because we don't have 2 centre halves we trust are they?

I'd love to have the time to unpick all of this and explain it but I don't. No to all of those questions.

The only time Kilman has looked acceptable in a back four was under Lopetegui and he had Neves and Lemina doing tons of defensive work ahead of him, with Toti at LB next to him barely crossing the halfway line and us cracking the code of how to sit on a 1-0 lead.

He's 27 next month.

It's a limitation that I don't think will ever get resolved.

For me, i would try to get adams on a free, and buy one of the other cf's we are chasing. I would bring back Chiquino for a full pre season, and push mini mario. If we get get a very decent offer for pedro, sadly he has to go.
Midfield sell no one and get a 2/3 out of what we have now.
Back for full pre season for mosquera, Santi, and Lembikisia (as rb cover) and if the money is right see kilman off. I don't see him as a proper captain in the Cody mould, so if he goes, buy one of the centre backs we are eyeing up, and make sure we get a full season out of Dawson.
I am not fussed that we get into europe, as i would rather give Gon another season with some necessary additions, and push in both cups, rather than over exert in a european micky mouse tournament.

I think all clubs, who buy in the Summer , will be far more wary of how they spend money . They will all want value from now on . Even if they off load a player for € 30 m themselves , why should they then spend it all on just one more player , when they might be able to get two players for that price .
Kilman is a reasonable player , but he's not a centre half that's getting 7.5/10 every match he plays.....i.e really solid and consistent . He's has improved , but I'd suggest that there is better value out there .

In fact it's now fair to say that the most important person now at every club is the ' Matthew Hobbs ' equivalent .

On top of that , this season is the first season where the PL have actually followed up on FFP and have actually docked points off clubs - prior to this it was just a threat that some clubs thought would never happen .
Yeah the PSR/FFP will have a big effect this summer, it already did in January. Although if the top tier clubs are interested in Kilman (he's definitely not good enough for that level) then it's those and only those than can be a bit more frivolous.

Each to their own but I don't think we can thumb our noses at getting into Europe, you never know if we'll ever get the opportunity. Difficult to see us finishing above the current Top 6 next season, Newcastle will gradually become stronger given their PSR restraints and in a year when Chelsea have been a basket case they are 2 points behind us with 2 games in hand. I don't think either the EL or EC are Mickey Mouse for a club our size when so many of the European slots are pretty much sewn up

Last edited:
Each to their own but I don't think we can thumb our noses at getting into Europe, you never know if we'll ever get the opportunity.
Totally agree, Europe is not mickey mouse particularly when in the next breath giving full beans to the League Cup is suggested!!

There's no point in being a football fan if you don't want your team to do as good as they possibly can.

And from Fosun's point of view if we finish 7th or 8th the value of our players will clearly increase than if we finish 12th as their performances to get us there would need to have been excellent.

Also there's a 11million+ quid prize money difference between 7th and 12th. Which makes the decision to not sign a striker all the more baffling.

Last edited:
The last 16 in the Conference League this season was:

Servette
Viktoria Plzen
Ajax
Aston Villa
Molde
Club Brugge
Union Saint-Gilloise
Fenerbahçe
Dinamo Zagreb
PAOK
Sturm Graz
Lille
Maccabi Haifa
Fiorentina
Olympiacos
Maccabi Tel Aviv

Is that really so wildly different from our Europa League opponents (pretty sure this wasn't written off as a trinket competition that we shouldn't bother with at the time):

Crusaders
FC Pyunik
Torino
Braga
Besiktas
Slovan Bratislava
Espanyol
Olympiacos
Sevilla

Back