• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

So my step son is in his final year training to be an English teacher and has been looking for vacancies anywhere reasonably close. (He's been doing his placements at schools in Hartlepool and Middlesbrough)

Anyway, a place was advertised at the secondary school in town so he applied.
Interview this morning and then he had to do a lesson with some Y11's on an exam paper.
He got home about 3 and they rang him before 4 and offered him the job! He was up against 2 current supply teachers too.

Really proud as his last university and Masters years were messed up with Covid and he's just a few months from achieving the aim he has had for over 10 years
Congrats to Darlow's step son. Well that boy!

Had rather a large fire on the landfill today, 20 odd fire engines etc. to stop people entering the site we sent half a dozen lads all in their orange overalls, to turn away traffic, I kept hearing people papping their horns at them so went to make sure they were ok, found out that the people driving passed thought they were on strike and were sounding their horns in solidarity, of course our lot lap this up and are clapping back and doing the Freedom for Tooting raised clenched fist, I've disowned them

Had rather a large fire on the landfill today, 20 odd fire engines etc. to stop people entering the site we sent half a dozen lads all in their orange overalls, to turn away traffic, I kept hearing people papping their horns at them so went to make sure they were ok, found out that the people driving passed thought they were on strike and were sounding their horns in solidarity, of course our lot lap this up and are clapping back and doing the Freedom for Tooting raised clenched fist, I've disowned them
Best thing I have read all day!!

Got an update from a job application I submitted 2 weeks ago.
I'd been excessively checking my emails & had started to convince myself of a lack of success.
Getting a message advising they have a delay in shortlisting, with further updates happening after x date is phenomenally helpful to me, and will help me manage myself & my expectations.

Going to a bowls match and getting your own personal cheerleader!
(Shame he was dressed in the oppositions colours, but his company made up for it!)

Information sharing - more precisely positive side of the net, YouTube, forums etc that empower people to tackle things themselves.

Had a shower-bar mixer valve that wasn’t regulating the hot properly and figured I’d need to get a plumber in. All of the others taps, bath, toilets etc had individual isolating valves but nothing for the shower as the feed is behind the tiles. No sign of a stopcock inside the house either and so the fear of what to do in the event of a burst pipe kicks in - need to know where that is urgently irrespective of the shower situation.

Anyway, thanks to YouTube identified the stopcock and water meter in amongst all manholes outside, shut it off and set about replacing the whole thing myself, mixer bar, riser rail, head and diverter. Even silicone sealed the gaps where the pipes come through the tiles, where water was getting in that the installation guy evidently couldn’t be arsed to do at the time. All took longer than it probably should’ve done and was quite nervous turning it back on for the first time, but the water poured through, the boiler fired up and voila, toasty shower!

Well chuffed. Saved a few quid and learned something along the way. A nice feeling when that happens.

Out walking the dog and saw something I hadn’t seen before.

Does make you stop and think. The hand written note was particularly moving.

Terribly sad it happened, but the ‘like’ is in the memorial and the fact people still care.

IMG_7897.jpeg

Both me and my Wife have received our state pension increases in the post for April, the triple lock, the gift that keeps on giving.

Be fucking dead by the time anyone under 50 now gets a pension. They were floating 71 this week?

And people wonder why care homes are lacking people to wipe your backsides ;)

Be fucking dead by the time anyone under 50 now gets a pension. They were floating 71 this week?

It’s an horrendous future facing millions of people.

Imagine a world where your only source of income is your state pension. And not only that the teasing misery is pushed further away from you. In the years leading up to it you are still expected to work like a slave, 40, 50, 60 hours a week to make ends meet with the same intensity you did when you were 25, at a time when your body is becoming exhausted, physically and mentally.

God knows what you are supposed to do when your body gives up and you can’t sustain what is required. It’s not as though there’s even an opportunity to wind down a bit beforehand in that situation.

Knowing that’s the future for people and actively allowing it to happen is just fucking cruel.

Gives me an idea for an anti-Valentines Card

"You know that feeling when you realise your teams record unbeaten run was under Glenn Hoddle......I hate you more than that"

Last edited:
Back