• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2018/19 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be like using wagyu ribeye as the beef for a big mac.

I love that analogy!

Of course the huge fat content of wagyu would actually make the big mac worse than it is with the patties they chuck in it now. There is another analogy there for someone to elucidate about the leagues just getting past it stars (China and Dubai I am looking at you, before we even start on MLS rosters)

MLS is moving on from just career ending pay cheques I would say. Obviously they still get some but not at the level from 4 or 5 years ago. A lot of young South Americans are making there way into the League. Miguel Almirón being an extreme example of that with his moves being Paraguay - Argentina - MLS - Newcastle's Record Signing

While Rooney, Zlatan, and (I assume he is) David Villa are still there, there is a still a point. I will concede that the MLS looking to South America is a good step though.

I will GUARANTEE that Beckham Florida United sign someone massive to say hello. Hopefully Pogba.

Old stars are necessary to build brands. They're rarely the best players on their teams anymore. Zlatan is a bit of an exception but he's a freak.

You can't make the league grow entirely from the bottom up. It has to work both ways. Without Beckham, for example, MLS would never have gained the clout or finance to be able to properly scout and now purchase the reigning South American POTY two years running.

You can't just turn your nose up at the old guys because they aren't exactly Prem standard anymore.

Signing players purely for shirt sales and tourists in the seats rather than what the team actually needs is a really REALLY cack recruitment policy.

Signing players purely for shirt sales and tourists in the seats rather than what the team actually needs is a really REALLY cack recruitment policy.

If you don't follow the MLS then all that we are given is when a big player moves over there. For every Rooney there is a lot more we have zero clue about. The MLS is never going to hit the heights of European Leagues but they will become a decent place to bring players over from. I last watched an MLS game around 18 months ago and standard was Championship. I would say that level was a huge step up from where they were 5 years ago and would expect that level to rise a bit more.

The Arab League is different, that is just about doing what you say. I presume China's is about trying to copy what the MLS have been doing just at a hugely more expensive level. They want to create home grown players to take on the world and hope the ridiculous levels they spend to get players in will inspire a generation but that is playing a very very very long game.

You're saying that from the perspective of a supporter of a team and pyramid that has existed for over a century. Teams are only really going to be in danger of folding in the UK through serious ownership mismanagement. It isn't that way here. You have to get butts in seats. You have to get eyes on the screen. You have to get broadcast deals. This country has already seen multiple leagues and dozens of clubs fold under what is absolutely unforgiving pressure from the average American sports fan. What player is more likely to help you sell out your brand new stadium? Wayne Rooney or Quincy Amarikwa? It's an obvious answer.

As Kenny rightly says, the old guys aren't the cornerstone pieces of teams like they used to be. The focus has been on youth development at home and bringing in regional talent for a while now. That the league can prise away the likes of Miguel Almiron, Ezequiel Barco, and Pity Martinez from their home continent speaks to the appealing nature MLS has cultivated when selling itself to players.

Big names are a necessity. Even Steven Gerrard helped buoy Galaxy tickets for a season and he was absolutely trash in this league.

United signing James from Swansea for £15M.

If they have a plan for him, good for the boy. If they don't (and current day United rarely do), he could end up being Nick Powell II.

Seems a waste to me. He's be much better off going to a team where he'd get game time and be able to develop.

Don't think he'd be a good fit for us, but he looks like he's going to be a very good player.

And as if to prove the point about United and strategy, very strong rumours that they're going to appoint Darren Fletcher as DoF. Because of course he has the requisite qualifications and experience such as er, playing for United when they were good.

Ticket allocation for the Europa League Final is a disgrace

Stadium Holds - 68700
Arsenal & Chelsea get 6000 each

Yes kenny, saw that yesterday and damaged the tv with the drink I was trying to have.
How exactly are there 56,700 uefa tickets. Madness.

Sorry put that on the thread. Can't be arsed to move it so I won't

If they have a plan for him, good for the boy. If they don't (and current day United rarely do), he could end up being Nick Powell II.
He reminds me a bit of Matt Jarvis except not so one footed.

Could be a good signing but if he gets one bad injury and loses that extra bit of pace which makes him special then I'm not sure if he's got enough else about his game to make up for it.

Lol

Just to put this into context, we’re letting 29 year old Ander Herrera (who actually deserved a new contract) leave on a free in the same season we offered 33 year old Ashley Young a new contract at £110,000 a week and Phil Jones at £120,000 a week. Words fail me with this club.

Ashley Young is on £110,000 a week?! Fucking hell. Genuinely Championship level.

First piece of gossip for me this year is Butland to Bournemouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back