• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The worst game you ever watched.

We beat them 2-0 in the midst of a run of four wins in five games, long after the season was dead, to make his record look artificially better than it was. Should have been five wins out of five but we conceded with the last kick at Coventry.

Was that to send Rotherham down? I think I might've been at that one as well, I remember being surprised by how loud the Rotherham fans were despite their league position. Seol scored one IIRC?

Was that to send Rotherham down? I think I might've been at that one as well, I remember being surprised by how loud the Rotherham fans were despite their league position. Seol scored one IIRC?

They did go down and it was in late April so it might have sent them down.

Can't remember if Seol scored, I know Miller got one right at the end.

Quick google, it was a Kenny Miller brace

Oakes

Bischoff Craddock Lescott Naylor

Seol Cameron Olofinjana Kennedy

Clarke Miller​

Potent. :icon_lol:

That central midfield :icon_lol:

Giving wet paper bags a bad name.

Oi! Colin Cameron was ace!

The rest of the front 6 however...

Apparently it got even worse after 38 minutes as Seol was subbed off for Rohan Ricketts. :icon_lol:

Chris Cornes was an unused sub.

If I remember rightly that was on merit as well! He wasn't injured. Hoddle definitely took him off before half time in one game just because.

I liked Cameron up to and including 2004 but he fell off a cliff so quickly. His legs just went overnight.

Seol was having a stinker, I remember that! And as he was the only player who even looked like making anything happen that year, then if he was shit, we were going to be terrible

There's a difference between Wolves playing diabolically and Wolves being involved in a diabolical match, surely. Any of the 0-0s mentioned were objectively awful on every count, we somehow won the game vs Bristol City that I mentioned but as an exhibition of football the skill level was abysmally low on both sides, us getting battered or not turning up is another thing entirely.

Quite. But at the time with no roof on the away end and in the driving rain on a weeknight all added to the negative experience.

I went to Pompey when it was blazing sunshine, no roof and yet we were 3-0 down inside half an hour to a Claridge hat trick :icon_lol: Miserable stuff. I think that was the final sighting of Manuel Thetis, that man was not a footballer.

A lot of Wolves games have blurred into one over the years, but as a period undoubtedly under Hoddle. We've been worse over the last 35 years but never duller to watch.

None Wolves, Steaua Bucharest 0 Barcelona 0 in the 1986 European Cup Final. Steaua played for pens from the first minute and got them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/898680.stm

Found the BBC report of it. It was as shambolic a defensive display as I've ever seen us have at this level, utterly horrendous.

Straight out worst Wolves performance ever (and mercifully, it was TV only for me) will forever be 0-5 at Fulham under Connor. If you asked me to name my top 10 worst Wolves performances I'd be tempted to stick that down 10 times just to make sure.

A lot of Wolves games have blurred into one over the years, but as a period undoubtedly under Hoddle. We've been worse over the last 35 years but never duller to watch.

Not that I ever wish to back Glenda up but I'd take his tedium over Saunders' Sunday League alehouse nonsense every time.

I could be wrong, but wasn't Graham Taylors last game in charge at Wolves a tepid affair against Charlton Athletic. My goodness that was at best a very average game.

Last games:

Turner - 0-3 Portsmouth (a)
Taylor - 0-0 Charlton (h)
McGhee - 0-2 Ipswich (a)
Lee - 0-1 Birmingham (h)
Jones - 0-1 Gillingham (a)
Hoddle - 2-1 Norwich (a)
McCarthy - 1-5 West Brom (h)
Connor - 2-3 Wigan (a)
Solbakken - 0-1 Luton (a)
Saunders - 0-2 Brighton (a)

And yes Frank, the Taylor/Charlton game was awful. Goodman hit the bar near the end, might have saved him if we'd won 1-0. Make no mistake though, Taylor would have relegated us, he'd lost it.

I still remember that Turner game where we lost 2-0 at Grimsby. It wasn't the end but it was the writing on the wall as the away crowd had turned against him. I still think back on it with quite a deal of sadness really.

Turner and McCarthy are the only two ex-managers of my time that I have any regard for. Both had to go when they did, mind.

Wolves vs Stoke the 1st year in the Premier League, it was a very drab match.

Easy for me, as Frank put it back in the dark days and this was literally in the dark (well fog)

Wolves 1 - Stockport 1, stood on the south bank and couldnt see a bastard thing past the nearest penalty area.

Was that the game when Frank Worthington scored for Stockport and claimed it was one of the best of his career but nobody in the crowd saw it as it was in front of the empty north bank?

Back