• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Thelwell on the New Wolves

Wow. An actually decent article and interview. Good stuff.

Good interview and shows Thelwell for what he is. Rubbish.

Talking about Stearman he seems to have forgotten he was sold for 'football reasons'. Thelwell then talks about Zenga having the last say like it was under Jackett; Walter must have watched Stearman plenty then? Or Monaco, or Benfica B? Excuse me if I call bollocks. He then contradicts himself on all of that by saying the link up with Fosun will provide a good reach to players they wouldn't have been able to get. No shit.

No mention of appointing Walter though, as a man on the 'football' side of things you would've thought he would be responsible for this.

Should've gone in the summer and typical of a man who for some inexplicable reason fails upwards.

A good read - nice work, E&S.

I reckon Thelwell kicked Johnny's cat. He could turn up at his house and hand over £500k and he would still be a cunt to the Johnster.....

I reckon Thelwell kicked Johnny's cat. He could turn up at his house and hand over £500k and he would still be a cunt to the Johnster.....

That's pretty cheap as a cat kicking rate TBF.

I reckon Thelwell kicked Johnny's cat. He could turn up at his house and hand over £500k and he would still be a $#@! to the Johnster.....

Pfft that's not even a 1/2 a Stearman, cheapskate.

I think the E&S should have pressed him on the Stearman sale a bit more. It's a blatant contradiction to defend the deceision now as:

...a very good business deal to let him go - and it also felt like a very good business deal to take him back.

I still don't really get the criticism of selling him for £2m - though I agree we didn't adequately replace him. £2m for Stearman WAS a very good business decision.

Selling Stearman was no more a mistake than sacking McCarthy or Solbakken. But similarly, it's just the decisions taken proceeding the sale that were poor - Hause and EEL weren't good enough to compete for the 2nd CB place, especially alongside Batth who had a poor season and could have had no complaints if HE'D be replaced as well.

the original stearman sale was obviously because of the money offerred. the 'footballing decision' claim was PR BS akin to the ryan mcshite saga. just designed to deflect criticism. i don't think you can blame thelwell for having to tow the party line of the previous regime. that's what happens every day all over the world.

Yeah, no problem with selling him, but I just think the E&S have rolled over a bit there.

the original stearman sale was obviously because of the money offerred. the 'footballing decision' claim was PR BS akin to the ryan mcshite saga. just designed to deflect criticism. i don't think you can blame thelwell for having to tow the party line of the previous regime. that's what happens every day all over the world.

Or Jackett really did think EEL and Hause could compete at Championship level, with the loan window available to bolster numbers, which we then used to get Williamson. Or a combination of those and the money on offer.

Stearman is a bog standard Championship defender - we'd have been nuts to turn down £2m. Of course, that £2m value then doubled overnight in the eyes of some of our fans.

Did Thelwell ever try selling the 'football decision' line last summer? I can only remember it coming from Jackett at the time.

It was obviously all about money at the time as Thelwell has admitted, strange that he refers to the return as a good business decision too though rather than arguing any footballing merit, comes over like we only signed him back because it hasn't cost anything rather than him being a preferred option.

Did Thelwell ever try selling the 'football decision' line last summer? I can only remember it coming from Jackett at the time.

It was obviously all about money at the time as Thelwell has admitted, strange that he refers to the return as a good business decision too though rather than arguing any footballing merit, comes over like we only signed him back because it hasn't cost anything rather than him being a preferred option.

I think Thelwell and Moxey both used that line in one of the Parliament meetings (could easily be wrong), the same meeting where Moxey said EEL "could" turn out to be the best defender in the Championship

Or Jackett really did think EEL and Hause could compete at Championship level, with the loan window available to bolster numbers, which we then used to get Williamson. Or a combination of those and the money on offer.

Stearman is a bog standard Championship defender - we'd have been nuts to turn down £2m. Of course, that £2m value then doubled overnight in the eyes of some of our fans.

i agree the sale always seemed good value. it was the crap PR re "footballing decision" that was unnecessary and inevitably as soon as we struggled defensively you knew the criticism would follow. kenny's later point about needing experience also undermined the footballing rationale.

i agree the sale always seemed good value. it was the crap PR re "footballing decision" that was unnecessary and inevitably as soon as we struggled defensively you knew the criticism would follow. kenny's later point about needing experience also undermined the footballing rationale.

I can't help but think that it was just misjudgement by the manager rather than anything being forced upon him by the powers that be. But the criticism was aimed at Moxey/Morgan/Thelwell instead.

I could be wrong of course - we'll probably never know exactly what happened.

I can't help but think that it was just misjudgement by the manager rather than anything being forced upon him by the powers that be. But the criticism was aimed at Moxey/Morgan/Thelwell instead.

I don't think KJ agreed with the sale. The moment Morgan took his ball back and left and the grand plan of using the yoof went with him, we signed Williamson.

maybe, but i think it's deeper than that. there's no way i could see that KJ was looking to sell stearman, so unless he was guaranteed the sale money to re-invest, in effect any sale is forced upon him by the business merits of the sale and financial circumstances to the club at the time. true, KJ may well have said that he thinks the players can step up and perform without stearman, but everyone at the club would have known it puts the "footballing" side of things in a weaker position in the absence of a replacement in respect of cover/injuries/experience/continuity. even a chief executive would be able to work that out.

maybe, but i think it's deeper than that. there's no way i could see that KJ was looking to sell stearman, so unless he was guaranteed the sale money to re-invest, in effect any sale is forced upon him by the business merits of the sale and financial circumstances to the club at the time. true, KJ may well have said that he thinks the players can step up and perform without stearman, but everyone at the club would have known it puts the "footballing" side of things in a weaker position in the absence of a replacement in respect of cover/injuries/experience/continuity. even a chief executive would be able to work that out.

Yeah fair points.

Irrelevant now though - he's back! Hooray!!!

6358735718137588911366308979_eyeroll.gif

Back