• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Where will Wolves finish 2022/3?

Where will Wolves finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best players don't always make the best team, especially if they don't suit what the manager wants.

I don't think any of Leeds' players are anything special at all but they all seem to suit what the manager wants from his team and they full embrace that game plan, so it works. Wolves don't appear to have that cohesion. You've got players like Podence who wants to try and play lots of little flicks and first time passes but hardly anyone moves enough to make that viable. Got a coach who wants to play out the back whenever possible but a midfield focal point who isn't especially comfortable receiving the ball with his back to goal or turning on it.

They're largely good players but there are shortcomings everywhere, you've got 5% being lost here, there and everywhere which soon adds up to a very disjointed performance and a team that looks worse than it's squad suggests it should. Meanwhile Leeds have a bunch of largely average players gaining 5% through the way certain players interact and respond to their Manager's tactics that makes them a far better team than the list of players would have you expect.
Don't disagree with that, but would point out that 5 of yesterday's starting 11, plus 1 of the subs were bought for this manager. 1 game obviously isn't a fair sample size, but this is his team of International footballers, if he can't get a coherent attacking gameplan beyond trying to hope for a bit of individual brilliance then that's on him. I certainly wouldn't be giving him more than another half dozen games to prove he can at least show a pathway towards it

Good managers will devise tactics that get the best from their players, those same Leeds players have done it under 2 managers with quite different styles of play.

Leeds players have done it under two different managers with two different styles, Wolves players have failed to do it under two different managers with different styles, in an attacking sense at least.

Which were meant to be the better group of players again?

I think Nuno did have a system that got the best from his squad, just that it was a very conservative brand of football that was heavily reliant on counter attacking in massive open areas for any attacking output. Not going to knock it's effectiveness but it's not my favoured brand of football, I do however think that's what this group of players, or at least an influential core of them, are best suited to.

Don't disagree with that, but would point out that 5 of yesterday's starting 11, plus 1 of the subs were bought for this manager. 1 game obviously isn't a fair sample size, but this is his team of International footballers, if he can't get a coherent attacking gameplan beyond trying to hope for a bit of individual brilliance then that's on him. I certainly wouldn't be giving him more than another half dozen games to prove he can at least show a pathway towards it

Be interesting to see if the new additions are more aligned to a quicker paced, more attack minded style of football. Sa we've seen has been a much better fit for how they now play than Patricio would've been, Collins looks comfortable enough in a four. Jury still very much out on Guedes and Nunes, can't for the life of me think who the fifth player is!

I think the international footballers tag is a bit of a red herring, it's not the quality I'm questioning but the suitability for certain tactics. Doesn't matter how good they are if they're just not on the same page.

I do worry there are big presences in the squad that are going to be big obstacles to full change, Neves being the biggest for me, Jimenez and Neto possibly others. It'll be seen as a mental move to those kind of players on but if they want big tactical revolution I think they might have to.

I still feel the players get off far too lightly in criticism too. Lage gets a lot of flack for his approach being simplistic, one dimensional, whatever but a lot of the time these players fail through inaction as much as error, in terms of movement and decisions at times it's almost nonexistent. No matter how bad anyone considers any manager to be surely no-one would accuse them of issuing the instruction to do literally nothing. Most of this squad has been at big clubs and/or big footballing nations, they should have a bit more wherewithall to do something from time to time even if they were given zero guidance from the coaches.

I think the reason a striker is more important to us rather than other teams is purely because we are a team who doesn't have the personnel who score goals. We haven't been for a good while now, and confidence is obviously low.

We've got in the plenty of decent positions to create opportunities to score goals, but for some reason the players mess it up more often than not or panic when the ball comes to them.

Hooefully Guedes and Nunes help in that regard, but the biggest help will be a fresh face who's main job is to put the ball in the net. And fingers crossed, someone who's in a bit of goalscoring form already this season (like Ramos).

Best players don't always make the best team, especially if they don't suit what the manager wants.

I don't think any of Leeds' players are anything special at all but they all seem to suit what the manager wants from his team and they full embrace that game plan, so it works. Wolves don't appear to have that cohesion. You've got players like Podence who wants to try and play lots of little flicks and first time passes but hardly anyone moves enough to make that viable. Got a coach who wants to play out the back whenever possible but a midfield focal point who isn't especially comfortable receiving the ball with his back to goal or turning on it.

They're largely good players but there are shortcomings everywhere, you've got 5% being lost here, there and everywhere which soon adds up to a very disjointed performance and a team that looks worse than it's squad suggests it should. Meanwhile Leeds have a bunch of largely average players gaining 5% through the way certain players interact and respond to their Manager's tactics that makes them a far better team than the list of players would have you expect.
You write a lot about Wolves for somebody who isn't a fan.

Anybody now reviewing their prediction in here?

We've hit the first international break, with the window now closed, in 17th place with just 1 win and 3 goals from 7 games.

When you look at the teams played, that record is unacceptable and unsustainable for me.

I went 11-13th before the season, the longer we stick with Lage the further down the table we finish.

I went 14th-17th.

Will stick with that as we'll take too long to sack him and by the time someone comes in, they won't be able to do much better unless we start hitting ridiculous form.

If Lage stayed the whole season (no chance surely) I think we would go down.

If Lage is given the full term then bottom would be a possibility. Keeping him to long puts us at serious risk of relegation. Can’t believe there’s still some out there who think he needs more time.

Us and West Ham are going to stink the place out next game and then we will limp past Forest in the same way as Saints.

Then we’ll bumble our way through to the WC at around a PPG and he will stay in a job.

Just got to hope Fosun see that they haven’t spent £100m to be 14th and then actually get rid of him.

I went 14-17. Will be bottom 3 if we don’t get rid soon.

I went 11th-13th, as it stands currently I'd change to relegated. That will obviously be amended if/when we get rid of the idiot.

I predicted 14-17th and if Lage is here much longer I’d snatch your hand off for 17th! Everything about us screams relegation battle at the moment.

I went 14-17th originally.

If we carry on with this moron, we'll be relegated.

I went 14 - 17 based on a lack of faith in the recruitment and the manager. Tbf the former was a lot better than I expected at least in terms of the size of the investment. The latter has proved what most already knew that it was never about the quality of players. If you offered me 17th and a new manager in August, I'd happily bin the next 9 months off and start again then

The problem with that is we then lose Neves, Nunes and probably Kilman too, if not more.

The problem with that is we then lose Neves, Nunes and probably Kilman too, if not more.
Neves is gone whatever when the price becomes 20m in the Summer or 30m in Jan. Nunes would have to do a lot for us to get our money back so I think he's here next season, Kilman most probably would go. I'd never have appointed him, let alone sack him.

My prediction (11-13) was probably based on Lage being binned at about this point in the season. I now think 14-17 is more likely.

It’s just a waste of everyone’s time keeping him any longer. It’s so blatantly obvious he can’t reverse our fortunes.
It’s a special effort to revert to a back four and make your side look even less threatening.

I voted 14-17 but honestly, 17 would be an achievement with this manager.

Back