• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 1 Wigan: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Probably the best state we've been in for years. Maybe not on the football field, but I'm sure that will come.

I'm desperately clinging to the fact that come the summer (hopefully after staying up) Fosun will have a full summer to invest in the side.

They will not have been impressed at all by what they have seen this year, and I'm sure it is being fed back to them that investment in this side is a must if they wish to push for the Premier League.

Lambert has been in charge for 15 games now in the league, his record reads W5, D3, L7, F19, A21. In comparison Zenga's record was P14, W4, D4, L6, F16, A17.

Not at all dis-similar. Lambert is avoiding pressue due to the performances against Stoke and Liverpool - even though we don't appear to have seen any real upturn in league performances or results. Hopefully come the summer Fosun review all areas of the club, including Thelwell and his team, and Lambert also

We had an up turn in results and performance but it's gone to pot since we decided to be good in the Cup. That's why cup runs are bad....

Oh and Ivan getting injured has put us back to relying on Costa who is now being triple marked again

No consistent upturn in results - our timeline since he took charge reads

DLWDLWWLDWLWLLL

Come on lads, it's not that hard to work out. Between 17th Dec and 31st Jan - 13 points from 7 games (plus the two cup wins). Borderline top two form. There's the upturn and it represents nearly half of Lambert's reign.

We've been rubbish in February, I'll grant you that.

We had our best run for a long time over 9 games, Inc Cup (probably more to do with how shit the previous year was though).

Performances over those games were pretty good and certainly better than what had been witnessed before. The last week has been a massive step backwards though.

Come on lads, it's not that hard to work out. Between 17th Dec and 31st Jan - 13 points from 7 games (plus the two cup wins). Borderline top two form. There's the upturn and it represents nearly half of Lambert's reign.

We've been rubbish in February, I'll grant you that.

I think it's been half and half really, we were awful under him at the start, we then improved and we've now been awful in the last 3 games. The biggest thing for me again is the change in style to hoof ball tactics which will never suit us. It's those changes recently that have me thinking again that i'm not sure about Lambert just as he was convincing me that he was sorting it out. He needs to find his best 11 and stick to at least 9 of them regularly but when players like Saiss can't get in and Hause keeps being dropped despite being our best defender when he has played then i struggle to see him doing it right now.

On the 'bomb squad' mk 2 point, I think people aren't drawing fair comparisons. The gang of 5 or 6 last time round were into the last year or two of their contracts as long as they could find another club they would be fine and we'd take a token transfer fee or eventually pay them off. This year we have given extended 3 year contracts to numerous bang average Championship players, they won't be easy to move on.

I think it's been half and half really, we were awful under him at the start, we then improved and we've now been awful in the last 3 games. The biggest thing for me again is the change in style to hoof ball tactics which will never suit us. It's those changes recently that have me thinking again that i'm not sure about Lambert just as he was convincing me that he was sorting it out. He needs to find his best 11 and stick to at least 9 of them regularly but when players like Saiss can't get in and Hause keeps being dropped despite being our best defender when he has played then i struggle to see him doing it right now.

A fair assessment, it's the assertion that there never was an upturn which is plain wrong.

Tony is right too, we're going to be lumbered with these players that we've handed ludicrous contracts to. I just don't get that aspect of it, I'd guess none of them would be turning down 18 month-2 year deals and if they did then they can pop off if they have that much misplaced faith in their own ability. What do we need with say, Carl Ikeme when he's 34? He wasn't good enough five years ago and he isn't good enough now. Who is ever going to pay money for Doherty? EEL has proven nothing at this level and we hand him a massive contract based on a third of a good L1 season for someone else?

I'll hold my hands-up, after looking more thoroughly, there was an upturn in form in the middle after a less than spectacular start and an awful February so far.

However, what I will say is, his record after 15 league games is pretty similar to Zenga's after 14 when he got sacked - and the football doesn't seem any better lately.

His results in the cup, excellent as they and the performances have been, are masking a dodgy record in the league. Regardless of the result this Saturday, if we don't start improving in the league soon questions will have to be asked - and we will definitely need to review in May whether he is the right man to take us forward into next season. Personally, I have yet to be convinced.

I'll hold my hands-up, after looking more thoroughly, there was an upturn in form in the middle after a less than spectacular start and an awful February so far.

However, what I will say is, his record after 15 league games is pretty similar to Zenga's after 14 when he got sacked - and the football doesn't seem any better lately.

His results in the cup, excellent as they and the performances have been, are masking a dodgy record in the league. Regardless of the result this Saturday, if we don't start improving in the league soon questions will have to be asked - and we will definitely need to review in May whether he is the right man to take us forward into next season. Personally, I have yet to be convinced.

And the common ground between him jackett and zenga is they keep playing the same players ikeme Batth Doherty Edwards Dicko Coady Savile Stearman who have all had their chance and have all either reached or past their peak. We will do nothing in this league with those 8 starting every week even if Edwards is in the goalscoring form of his life. If every one of them played to their highest level I would argue none of them are premier league footballers. This season only Edwards has played consistently well and that's largely down to his goals. Ikeme has been OK, Dicko poor, Batth Doherty and Stearman have all made high profile errors that have cost us goals and games, Coady is playing at right back because Iorfa is having a mare and because he can't cut it in midfield.
Add to that list Iorfa Hause Evans Bodvarrson Mason who surely we should class as jury is out at the moment, and the sicknote trio of Silvio Williamson and Zyro and you can see why fans like me are so frustrated. Cavallerro, Costa,Ronan,Price, fair enough they have convinced me they could be part of a promotion chasing team as did Graham prior to injury. But that's a weighted scale against I am afraid. I repeat. Massive 6 months for the club coming up

Calling Zyro a sicknote when someone brutally scythed him in half isn't fair.

Calling Zyro a sicknote when someone brutally scythed him in half isn't fair.

I agree. However I am being consistent. I called his fitness into question when he arrived and described him as unlucky. Some players puck up lots of injuries regardless of whose fault that is. He could have been shot by a sniper but the fact remains he has been perpetually injured for his previous club, got injured here, recovered and got taken out. The net result is he is injured again. I would agree in this case I am being harsh but given his record for the two years prior to joining us , its fair. Glad thatyou don't disagree with the other 15 mentioned!

I agree. However I am being consistent. I called his fitness into question when he arrived and described him as unlucky. Some players puck up lots of injuries regardless of whose fault that is. He could have been shot by a sniper but the fact remains he has been perpetually injured for his previous club, got injured here, recovered and got taken out. The net result is he is injured again. I would agree in this case I am being harsh but given his record for the two years prior to joining us , its fair. Glad thatyou don't disagree with the other 15 mentioned!

Ridiculous to call Zyro a sicknote.

Ridiculous to call Zyro a sicknote.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michal-zyro/verletzungen/spieler/67431

Not including this injury which wasn't his fault he has been unavailable through injury for over a year with four different injuries since 2013. So in the three years from 2013 to 2016 Zyro was injured 4 times and totalled over a year out. He then had six weeks out here with a calf injury and then got taken out by Kay. His injury record prior to this was not good. He missed over half the season through injury in 2 of the three years prior to joining us ( 21 and 20 games)and just under half a season (14 games )in the other . I believe the Polish league is 18 teams so three seasons is 102 games available. Zyro missed 55 of them injured. Just to add perspective Silvio and Williamson have better injury history than Zyro!

Back