• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Crystal Palace: The Verdict.

what in the hell are you people talking about? bennett at fault for our lack of attacking? coady's fault for our midfielders dropping deep? :icon_lol:

Gerrit forward and all that...?

Did you notice Liverpool last night, in the last 7 or 8 minutes, went Cardiff style bombing the area with Virgil up there. I know we don't want that as regular style, but after 85 minutes of ineptitude, wouldn't it have been worth throwing Boly or Bennett up into the box and see what happened ?

We went for a long throw late on, think that was to try something else.

Did you notice Liverpool last night, in the last 7 or 8 minutes, went Cardiff style bombing the area with Virgil up there. I know we don't want that as regular style, but after 85 minutes of ineptitude, wouldn't it have been worth throwing Boly or Bennett up into the box and see what happened ?

you see that tactic a lot in the NFL; put a tall wide receiver back in defense as a deep safety if there's going to be a hail mary.

obviously not a directly comparable situation but an interestingly similar thought for sure.

It's lowest common denominator nonsense. The hit rate for lamping a centre half up top near the end and sending straight hoof after straight hoof in their vague direction is infinitesimally small. It's the preserve of the likes of Steve Bruce and Lee Johnson.

Johnson thought he was being so clever when they did that against us last season. Idiot kept him up there even when they went 1-0 up and it cost them so badly

The game has moved on from the days of static strikers waiting in the penalty area for a ball into the box. We now have fluency and arriving in the key moment.

It's lowest common denominator nonsense. The hit rate for lamping a centre half up top near the end and sending straight hoof after straight hoof in their vague direction is infinitesimally small. It's the preserve of the likes of Steve Bruce and Lee Johnson.

I take your point Dan, but when you've played 95% of the game with no shot on target, isn't worth the gamble at the end. Liverpool gave City a scare at the end and could have snatched an equaliser.

I think as a last resort for the final two minutes when you're losing it's fine. You're unlikely to create anything from our low crosses or balls down the channels at that point, and the opposing team is just going to sit incredibly deep and compact.

Boly and Bennett up on each corner of the box. Coady and Saiss can stay back.

It's fine to a point with a few minutes to go, but you've got to do it strategically. Towards the end Lovren lamped it up to Van Dijk who couldn't do anything with it, and proceeded to start shouting back to play it wide next time. If you're going to stuff their box with your CB's, you may as well get it wide and get crosses in, much more of an opportunity for them to actually do something effective that way than just smacking it in their direction from our own half, that's so much easier to defend.

Back