• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

For those who are there how was Sasa? Look to be moving ok?
His movement and distribution was fine. He doesn’t jump for balls in the air though, which makes me wonder if he’s still conscious of any knee damage on landing.

His movement and distribution was fine. He doesn’t jump for balls in the air though, which makes me wonder if he’s still conscious of any knee damage on landing.
I just don't think that's his game, same as Iwan Roberts looked decent when you played it into him chest high or to his feet but absolutely wank if you hoofed it over his head (guess what we did).

On the formation; we do look better defensively with three at the back but a lot of that is purely because Kilman and Dawson together in a back four is a crap partnership and Toti's physical attributes help them out a lot. The knock on effect is we frequently have possession at the back and have either no clue how to use the ball or lack the ability to play out properly, and we're a midfielder down so we can lose control of games quite easily. I wouldn't be playing that formation against Bournemouth or Sheffield United.

Oh and anyone hoping for a renaissance of circa 2018 Doherty - forget it.

Would have snapped your hand off for 4 points prior to the Man City game.
Jury’s probably still out whether O’Neil can take us to where we want to be.
Villa have inherited the Dean Smith tactic of falling over after every touch and the Ref fell for it every time, Fabio tried it in extra time and the Ref waved play on, need to work on that son.
McGinn is a good footballer but a horrible human being.

I'm not even sure McGinn is that good a footballer, really. He's just a fucking pitbull who can wreck an opposing midfield's day.

He's a player who sucks the opposition down rather than uplifting his own side. Still effective as hell, though; I begrudgingly respect it.

Three league games unbeaten makes a decent run of form going into yet another international break.
Four points from City and Villa is very acceptable and hopefully gives us something to work with.
According to our friend Jamie O’Hara on Sky, VAR did us a favour in not giving Villa a penalty for a push by Doherty on Watkins towards the end of the game.
Did we gat one back from VAR?
Sort of, but Var should have given a foul on Neto for a Pen

Nice to see McGinn, stepped out from Neves and Moutinhos shadow. I'm not gonna gush about him, he's been for the most-part anonymous everytime we've played them when one or both of the others have figured.

Generally good performance. Am loving Neto's renaissance. I had doubts he wasn't going to get to he could be. He's unstoppable at the moment just goes past players like they aren't there.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Fabio Silva. I counted his four contributions as 3 fouls and miscontrolling a simple ball back to Villa. Lots of arm waving and pouting though. Sooner he fucks off the better for all concerned.

Good cameos from Sasa, excellent pass which deserved an assist and Boubacar who helped us wrestle back the game until the sending off.

Would have taken the point at the start but disappointed we couldn't get three in the end. Ultimately the last two games have eased a lot of pressure, hopefully something we can build on against Bournemouth.

Oh and anyone hoping for a renaissance of circa 2018 Doherty - forget it.
At one point O’Neil called him over to hopefully give him the tactics “stop trying to fucking push everyone over”

We're facing a familiar problem I think. We look solid enough in a back 5 and Lemina and Gomes ahead of them but then nobody can really move the ball well enough through the lines to create any real overload opportunities, it's either dribbling creates or we don't create at all.

The other problem is that it puts Cunha as a 9, which he doesn't/can't do properly, as good has he can look in spells.

We haven't got the wingbacks for a back five, we haven't got the centre backs for a back four, the midfielders haven't got enough creativity to compensate for the wingbacks.

It's a pragmatic solution and will keep us up, but it'll be a frustrating season.

Game was low on quality, probably due to both teams setting up similarly, about the same level of quality, crap ref decisions (for both teams) and both sets of players choosing to shithouse at every opportunity.
Neto and Hwang have got a thing going atm.
Bouba did really well when he came on.
Draw is fair although gutting to concede so soon after scoring.
Sasa did ok when he came on, great ball for Neto who was struggling to get there tbh.
Pity Sasa fluffed his lines when his chance to shoot came.
5 points from the last 3 games is excellent.

We're facing a familiar problem I think. We look solid enough in a back 5 and Lemina and Gomes ahead of them but then nobody can really move the ball well enough through the lines to create any real overload opportunities, it's either dribbling creates or we don't create at all.

The other problem is that it puts Cunha as a 9, which he doesn't/can't do properly, as good has he can look in spells.

We haven't got the wingbacks for a back five, we haven't got the centre backs for a back four, the midfielders haven't got enough creativity to compensate for the wingbacks.

It's a pragmatic solution and will keep us up, but it'll be a frustrating season.
Semedo has made some well-timed runs in the two matches we've played 5atb. He's been better than expected going forward, IMO.

The Doherty push looked more like a penalty than the Neto one. What was he thinking? Was he thinking?! He's so pedestrian! If he's on the field then something has gone badly wrong, which I suppose was the case today.

Don't want to see Fabio playing for Wolves again. We tried something, it's failed. Doesn't look anything like the quality required - no ball retention, no goals, no tackling, no nothing. Admit he hasn't worked out and give someone - anyone - else a go.

Fair result in the end. We've found something up front in Neto + Hwang. Probably means we'll be selling Neto next, but that's how football works.

The Doherty push looked more like a penalty than the Neto one. What was he thinking? Was he thinking?! He's so pedestrian! If he's on the field then something has gone badly wrong, which I suppose was the case today.

Don't want to see Fabio playing for Wolves again. We tried something, it's failed. Doesn't look anything like the quality required - no ball retention, no goals, no tackling, no nothing. Admit he hasn't worked out and give someone - anyone - else a go.

Fair result in the end. We've found something up front in Neto + Hwang. Probably means we'll be selling Neto next, but that's how football works.
Wow, you're like the polar opposite of cheerful, unless of course you're an energy vampire, in that case mission accomplished (y)

The Doherty incident looked like a definite foul to me, and it was one of the few things I get a decent view of. Got lucky. Only just back home though and not checked the highlights yet so…

Frustrating in the first half in particular that we failed to get behind their left side, looked like a real opportunity but one we simply didn’t try as opposed to them shutting it down. Neto is, of course, superb right now. His delivery and ambition to round the defender was lacking in the first 45 compared to recent games though - picked it up again and n the second half.

Del puts it well above for me, a pragmatic solution (for which I’m very grateful for sure), but one likely to be frustrating. Of course, I didn’t think GON would find the solution at all, so maybe we’ll progress again? He’s earned the right, or whatever you’d say.

BTW, regards Sa brain farts and the lack of them… why didn’t he catch that ball in the 2nd half and just let it bounce out for a corner? Looked farcical to me, but might have been more awkward than it seemed to me for those with a better view.

Oh, more love for Hwang too. He pulled off some kind of outrageous turn in our own half that made a complete mug of his opposite number at one point that was a joy. He was great.

Must be just me that though Doc barely pushed him and you see plenty of bigger nudges and physical blocks that put strikers off their shot.

Must be just me that though Doc barely pushed him and you see plenty of bigger nudges and physical blocks that put strikers off their shot.
Could be. I’ve made plenty of bad calls later revealed by the actual footage when I’ve been staring at it in the flesh. Looked a nailed on pen to me though and I’d have been fuming if it were the other way round. Thought he also got a bit of him with his foot too. Anyway, this time it’s good news I disagree with the ref.

Wow, you're like the polar opposite of cheerful, unless of course you're an energy vampire, in that case mission accomplished (y)
Which part do you particularly disagree with?

Back