• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

Specifically Dan, why don't you think that Guedes isn't much good?
I can't see a single stand out attribute from him (and I didn't want him anyway as he's always looked rancid when I've seen him play for Portugal).

Not especially quick, can't cross particularly well, doesn't get in dangerous positions (this could be tactical I suppose), not great at beating a man with skill, not sure he's going to end up being a particularly clinical finisher. I think we could have done better for the money, I don't see anyone being blown away by his impact in 3/6/12 months time.

I don't think he looks anything special so far. A lot more about him than Trincao but I really wasn't keen on him either from the start. Think I was impressed as soon as we saw Neto play. I was with Podence too but gradually got more and more annoyed with him. Traore is an enigma ha

Feel like 30m might have been better spent at the moment but it's early

He has intelligence which the most Important attribute and decent across every other category such as pace, technical ability and physicality.

Not especially quick, can't cross particularly well, doesn't get in dangerous positions (this could be tactical I suppose), not great at beating a man with skill, not sure he's going to end up being a particularly clinical finisher. I think we could have done better for the money, I don't see anyone being blown away by his impact in 3/6/12 months time.
I really hope you are miles wide of the mark but I’ve got that nagging feeling you are correct.

I really hope you are miles wide of the mark but I’ve got that nagging feeling you are correct.
I hope I'm wrong too. He's definitely better than Hwang and Adama, probably better than Podence is 80% of the time. But that doesn't necessarily mean all that much.

I have a friend who has watched a fair bit of Spanish football and he said he's thought Guedes was a top class player for quite a while. Take that for what you will, its just one opinion, albeit someone who has seen a fair bit of him.

Guedes looks comfortably better than anyone else at the club in that position bar Neto (assuming Neto reaches his old heights). I can see why we went for him, he provides really good balance with Neto on the other side.

That said, while he has flashes of both Neto's pace and directness on the counter and Jota's positioning in and around the box/tenacity in winning the ball back and starting a counter... he doesn't look as good as either of them at their best. Time will tell though. Still early days.

Back