• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

He just wanted fresh legs to stem the tide, so he bought on his two reserve forwards. But two players who can’t hold the ball up (and give it away) and one of them absolutely useless out of possession.

I’m no Traore fan, but if you’re asking me who I’d want on for the last 15 minutes in those circumstances out of those 3 then it’s him.

To be honest, I’ve no idea what some people were watching when they say Sa had nothing to do. I mean, even in the small amount of time after their equaliser ASM stung Sa’s palms with a good effort on goal (with our defence backing off again), and they hit the crossbar - which could have gone in another day.

We started the game showing way too much respect to Newcastle - and we ended it clinging on for a point… at home.

They had more possession & more shots on target. If anything, Newcastle are the ones that should be bemoaning a point, even if it feels like a loss for us.

Absolutely wank tactics throughout from Lage.

'Our defence' in that situation was Semedo, on his own, on a yellow card tbf.

ASM stung Sa’s palms with a good effort on goal (with our defence backing off again), and they hit the crossbar - which could have gone in another day.
That was good defending forcing ASM to shoot from a nothing position a PL keeper should be saving bar a worldy hit. Not sure what you’re expecting a defender to do 1v1 against one of the trickiest players on the pitch, on a yellow card. Over commit and you’re off or he’s got an easier chance to score.

Sorry just a real bug bear of mine people criticising not over committing.

Lage is a shit manager.

Nothing more than that.

As soon as Targett was brought on Bruno Coyle should've brought Adama on and put Podence on the right (if you must).

Our problems were keeping the ball, the dropping of the midfield 3 onto the toes of the back four and the static movement up front. It's all coaching by numbers and linear movement.

His tactics are championship level knocking out into the channels, no wonder he credits Carvahal as a mentor, the ability is the same.

I was dying to see Traore V Targett tbh as soon as he came on

I've been on the fence with views such as yours over the last couple of months Vs "it'll click soon" but unfortunately I think a lot of what you are saying is right. I don't feel good about things at all after today, my hope is fading. We are a still a bit light but the XI we put out today, particularly the midfield 3, should be doing better

I was dying to see Traore V Targett tbh as soon as he came on

I've been on the fence with views such as yours over the last couple of months Vs "it'll click soon" but unfortunately I think a lot of what you are saying is right. I don't feel good about things at all after today, my hope is fading. We are a still a bit light but the XI we put out today, particularly the midfield 3, should be doing better
I was all for giving him a chance until the international break but after sitting through Fulham and now today, where we were worse I can't see any way back under this guy.

He just hasn't got it.

No Lopetegui either, we need a different tack for the rest of this season.

That was good defending forcing ASM to shoot from a nothing position a PL keeper should be saving bar a worldy hit. Not sure what you’re expecting a defender to do 1v1 against one of the trickiest players on the pitch, on a yellow card. Over commit and you’re off or he’s got an easier chance to score.

It was just an example of another chance they created.

I agree Semedo played well today.

Jinks was watching on TV I assume. Might not have been clear that we had literally no other defenders there.

Problem today wasn’t the back 4 in fact I thought they were very good considering the pressure they endured for 45 minutes. Just zero control the amount of times I was screaming “get a foot on the ball”

Unfortunately, this is it in a nutshell.

I'm hoping we click in the next two games, but I'm worried the longer he stays he's going to waste this group of players

Nail on the head really not many managers arrive at a club with such a good foundation in place for them.
It’s usually when a club is in turmoil which is what the next manager will have.
There seems to be a very much “ that’ll do” attitude around the club

They didn’t create that chance. Moutinho stupidly shot straight into bodies as we seem to do a lot and ASM broke away. I really do think the players are getting an easy ride right now purely because of the dislike for Lage. Most of their chances came from our stupid mistakes like Collins not controlling the ball, us not clearing our lines despite having 5 opportunities, Jonny passing it out of play, Nunes not able to play a simple 5 yard pass, Raul forgetting the ball time and time again to wrestle needlessly with the centre backs.

You can go on about the way he sets us up, can’t change things etc and i tend to agree while jot agreeing that he’s anywhere close to Saunders etc, that comparison should just invalidate anyones opinion but i will continue to repeat that our decision making in the final third in particular is abysmal and quite often it’s nothing tactical it’s just a lack of composure. Lage could be contributing to this too but the players have to take some responsibility as well.

If Lage goes whoever comes in has to settle us down in possession, we’ve always had similar struggles since promotion when trying to open teams up but it seems worse than ever now apart from the odd player like Neves and Kilman.

When you have very good players operating way below their potential, that's literally on the manager.

We need someone to put a fire up their arse and take them to another level, not hamper them, which is what the manager is doing at the moment

You can't blame them but I don't think they respect him whether that was from the off or when they realised he regularly digs them out in public I don't know but BHA screamed a team that had stopped performing and there's just red flags left and right thereafter.

They didn’t create that chance. Moutinho stupidly shot straight into bodies as we seem to do a lot and ASM broke away. I really do think the players are getting an easy ride right now purely because of the dislike for Lage. Most of their chances came from our stupid mistakes like Collins not controlling the ball, us not clearing our lines despite having 5 opportunities, Jonny passing it out of play, Nunes not able to play a simple 5 yard pass, Raul forgetting the ball time and time again to wrestle needlessly with the centre backs.

You can go on about the way he sets us up, can’t change things etc and i tend to agree while jot agreeing that he’s anywhere close to Saunders etc, that comparison should just invalidate anyones opinion but i will continue to repeat that our decision making in the final third in particular is abysmal and quite often it’s nothing tactical it’s just a lack of composure. Lage could be contributing to this too but the players have to take some responsibility as well.

If Lage goes whoever comes in has to settle us down in possession, we’ve always had similar struggles since promotion when trying to open teams up but it seems worse than ever now apart from the odd player like Neves and Kilman.

Seriously the “Bruno Saunders” comment was a joke.
To add to your point yep players have responsibility no doubt and some are under performing badly.
However you said they need someone to calm them down in possession? Clearly Bruno doesn’t do this and plus why are so many not reaching the levels they can under him?
Yes comes back to player responsibility but also comes down to micro management.
As outrageous as my comparison to DS was to point out before he came to us he had Wrexham in a good position and then Doncaster top. Bruno has 1 good season on his CV so evidence that he’s not that bad is limited.

No different from the tons of shots we have every week from nothing positions. xG of 0.07.

Semedo has made sure he’s not beaten. Forced a shot in a place where he’s blocking the far post and the keeper should have the near.

Not just this incident, but backing off (not over committing) is very important and annoys me when I see people criticise it. You have to engage at some point and not retreat to your six yard box ala Stephen Ward but 25 yards out, 1v1, middle of the pitch is not that place. Even more so when Semedo isn’t going to get ran round like Coady would

Semedo was great today, tbf.

As Tony said, our plan is to score a worldie then hang on for a clean sheet. What a wank plan!
Even calling it a "plan" is being too kind to it.

Back