• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Spurs: Verdict thread

He speaks respectfully about us though, says a point against us is generally a good one, but he'd want more after scoring so early and keeping the lead till late in the game
He was talking about last seasons Wolves, Mr Park the bus wasnt very happy about losing 2 points to this seasons Wolves at all.

Said it before, this looks our best formation in an attacking sense, no we didn't create that many good chances but lets not forget Mourinho always has superb teams defensively. We kept going and got our just rewards.
Their goal was an early kick in the bollocks but tbf we domInated and controlled most of the game. Don't care what people say, we were the better team, whatever Spurs tactics.
We must be better with our final ball and obviously we need to still score more goals but I was encouraged with what I saw and enjoyed the game.
On the diving, don't like it but tbf Podence had the back of his ankle trod on, clear foul and Silva did get clipped...its the exaggerated falls that irritate me. Although other players seem to get the foul. Traore seems to have to be fouled 3 times before the ref blows, no wonder he gets injured.
Thought it was Semedo's best game both in attack and defence, also Traore was good first half. Most had good games but while I like Podence, he's bloody frustrating, we need more end product.

Regarding Son and Kane, when a commentator says out loud "something needs to be done about this" regarding their stand your ground and fall over tactic, it's not just us that noticed it.

Don't go changing, trying to please me
You never let me down before
I don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I would not leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

copyright MR Barry White
copyright Billy Joel surely?

Spurs' last shot on target was the 21st minute apparently.

Best 90 mins of the season, notwithstanding the fact that spurs didn't want to play football for 88 minutes. Semedo was decent but unspectacular, which is an improvement. We dominated and probed and got into better situations than we have of late, I thought.

Fabio though. I know he should he have scored, but he's really impressed me again tonight, I think he's a real talent. Rashford has just scored his 50th premier league goal, at the age of 23 years and 58 days. I genuinely think Fabio will be on or around 50 if he's still with us a 23. His movement and game intelligence is exceptional, regardless of his age. I know we haven't seen it in his time with us, but he clearly knows where the goal is - and he hasn't achieved his youth record by being bigger, or quicker, or trickier than his peers. He's done it with smart finishing and intelligent movement. I really think we've got a star on our hands, and if we keep giving him meaningful game time he'll be all the better for it.

Gotta give Moutinho credit for his defensive work while on the pitch btw, still a bit of tweaking to be done with the central two (whoever they are) though

Decent is the word of the day. Decent performance, I said at half time if Nuno wants us to play like this then let's give the players a few games to let it settle.

Spurs had no ambition and were comfortable for most of the match, probably trusting we had little in our locker to really trouble them. Obviously the gamble didn't pay off, but Romain's header was one of the few moments of quality in their final third.

I don't think this game is the best one to judge our defence on, but you could argue that four at the back doesn't make us that more porous defensively, but that extra man going forward does have the potential to make us more dangerous.

I'd like to see this set up again and hope that familiarity leads to better quality. Hope this decent result gives us some confidence and belief

Otasowie in the middle of the park next game please, don't mind who he's next to.

Semedo was fine, Traore a little better than usual, Pod and Neves had under par first halves and OK second halves.
Interesting that Song & Kane were impotent - but down to them having a bad night according to the Spurs Sky pundits. I beg to differ.

It's a better performance than many this season, not spectacular but not a lot to pick fault with either, Spurs no doubt helped with a fairly negative approach giving Wolves chance to find their feet but it's not like it's uncommon to see that shoe on the other foot either is it?

Think most will point to the late Silva chance and many will judge him negatively on it but I don't think it's quite the sitter it first appears, Dier is very close in front of him by the time the ball gets there and that's no doubt going to impact on his judgement, mistimes by a split second and gets that noddy effort straight at Lloris rather than picking his spot. He's been a big investment and you can see the signs of promise, had three sort of half chances today to my recollection and all borne out of decent movement by himself to get on the end of something in the box, none of them played out as he would've wanted today but in a year or two he could be the sort of player who makes those kind of half chances look like routine tap ins and turn close games into comfortable victories. Think he's shown more than enough in his appearances since Jimenez got injured to justify keeping his place as first choice for now, he's not just running round up there like some excited kid, you can see thought in his positioning when he's pressing defenders, smart if not spectacular use of the ball, sure he gets knocked around a bit but he looks like he weighs about 8 stone so what do you expect? He always gets back up, dusts himself off and gets back to it so I don't see the experience doing him any harm, he's been dropped in the deep end and he's very much swimming so far in my eyes. If Jimenez isn't back soon then get some old journeyman to offer a backup option, don't knock this kid down the pecking order unless there's someone genuinely top class available.

Some other signs of promise in there today, Traore looked bit more like his old self first half and even moved away from the touchline a bit. Looked to be more interaction between him and Semedo than anytime previous too which is encouraging, a long way from perfect but it's a start if nothing else. Found it rather annoying watching them together so far when Traore carries the ball and Semedo just stands 10-15 yards off his shoulder, former refusing to go backwards and the latter refusing to make the unselfish run beyond that might unsettle a defender. Had that situation not long before the equaliser where Traore actually laid it back to Semedo in acres of space when he'd squared up two Tottenham players but it was like Semedo had just gone to sleep and ended up with a naff rushed cross instead of anything productive. Think that's probably been Semedo's best game so far though.

Little disappointed that Vitinha didn't get more minutes, though Podence was more miss than hit today, he takes chances with the ball and that's always going to put him at risk of losing it cheaply or looking a bit of a tit but playing that position I think you need that sort of mentality otherwise you're never going to pose much of a threat. Unfortunately today it wasn't clicking for him and don't think it would've been much harm to the rest of the team to give Vitinha half an hour or so at it instead, hopefully see him get more chances going forwards if similar situations arise.

It's strange at times how tiny margins can make such a difference, Tottenham weren't up to much generally but there were a few moments where they linked up a few slick passes and it all just flowed along seamlessly whereas for Wolves it never quite seemed to work so fluently. A pass would always be just behind someone forcing an extra touch to get it out of their feet to move it on or a run wouldn't be made quite quickly enough and so passes don't get played quickly enough, defenders get opportunity to get back into position and then the side is so much more difficult to break down. Not sure if it's a bit of a confidence thing, players just playing a bit safe or not backing their team mate to act on the same impulse as them but still seem to spend more time looking a bit pedestrian or laboured than the opposition in many instances.

Good to see Otasowie back in his proper position too, looks a lot more comfortable on the ball facing forwards with everything ahead of him rather than the nonsense he had to deal with at Burnley. Looks very calm and had the one little battle with Hojberg where he showed his physical presence and then followed it up with some good defensive cover, if he can grow into that role then it could free up the other deep midfielder to be a bit more progressive. Not sure Nuno would be as ambitious as to completely ditch the 2nd deep midfield as Liverpool, City and Chelsea now usually do but if they could at least have their starting position in the opposition half it would make a difference. Only other issue there is whether there's another midfield in the squad who really suits that role, Vitinha looks the most natural for it from what I've seen but can't see a game where you'd be comfortable with such an inexperienced midfield pairing.

Fabio has the right quality, but not the split second reaction yet to make the correct choice - he's played less than 10? first team games anywhere.

Did question his price tag, but think that he will come good - he's only there as we didn't have anyone else when Raul got injured.

Jose - "we had control of the game" 😂😂
To be fair that's exactly what Wolves fans used to say when they played out a similarly passive game plan after getting ahead and managing to see out the game. It's not like Wolves were constantly knocking on the door and ultimately it was a set piece, which are generally a bit of a lottery, that ruined their game.

As is often the case, the result will generally be the defining factor in whether or not anyone's tactics and their reasoning for them are seen as acceptable or not.

One little niggle i have is the fact that every throw in HAS to be taken by the full backs, who then take an age to get the ball into play. Several times another player has the ball and ready to take a quick throw to an unmarked player but has to wait and hand it over.
On tonights game, totally pissed off with Kane and his shithouse team mates, falling over at every opportunity to get a foul !!!

I thought Neto was tremendous today, I hope we can keep him for a few more seasons yet

I like Fabio but he isn’t ready. If we had Raul we win that game at a canter.

I’d like to see another striker and Fabio come on/ play with this other striker. Not his fault he’s not ready.

Neves MotM for me as I thought he ran the game second half, although Coady was magnificent with his organisation and tackling.

RAN did well in his cameo and Vitinha impresses me with his ball skills and passing. Traore looks a mess unless he has somebody to float a cross to.

Thought we were well worth a point and have no idea what the Sky pundits were watching.

Oh and the matchday thread is a disgrace, some ‘supporters’ need to have a look at themselves. Appalling support.

Thought that was a very good performance indeed other than the shocking goal - done by one ball over the top to win the corner inside 30 seconds, then we have no-one on the edge of the box (why?), then it's a horror show from Rui, no excuses.

Afterwards though we passed the ball well, the interlinking was much much better (I do wish Adama wouldn't stand and watch when he passes the ball though! Move) and we looked dangerous throughout. Neto had them terrified, although we were outnumbered in midfield Neves and Moutinho both played well - can we put to bed the theory that they can't play together, please. Semedo's best game for the club by a distance and Fabio continues to improve, though he has to score at the end. It's not a sitter as he does see it late when Dier misses it but just head it back where it's coming from and we win the game.

Would have been an absolute travesty if we lost.

Dreadful refereeing performance. Constantly giving Spurs free kicks for falling over under nothing. That was their only means of relieving pressure as well for the whole second half. Then the penalty...yes, he makes a meal of it but there was contact, without a doubt. It certainly wasn't a corner!

We definitely do look more coherent as an attacking threat with a back four, obviously this needs balancing in other areas, did help us tonight that Spurs were so passive, not everyone will decide to sit on a lead and offer as good as zero threat. But we absolutely can play this system, it's just where and when.

Encouraging. Should lift some of the post-Burnley doom and gloom.

Back