• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Spurs: Verdict thread

Thought that was a very good performance indeed other than the shocking goal - done by one ball over the top to win the corner inside 30 seconds, then we have no-one on the edge of the box (why?), then it's a horror show from Rui, no excuses.

Afterwards though we passed the ball well, the interlinking was much much better (I do wish Adama wouldn't stand and watch when he passes the ball though! Move) and we looked dangerous throughout. Neto had them terrified, although we were outnumbered in midfield Neves and Moutinho both played well - can we put to bed the theory that they can't play together, please. Semedo's best game for the club by a distance and Fabio continues to improve, though he has to score at the end. It's not a sitter as he does see it late when Dier misses it but just head it back where it's coming from and we win the game.

Would have been an absolute travesty if we lost.

Dreadful refereeing performance. Constantly giving Spurs free kicks for falling over under nothing. That was their only means of relieving pressure as well for the whole second half. Then the penalty...yes, he makes a meal of it but there was contact, without a doubt. It certainly wasn't a corner!

We definitely do look more coherent as an attacking threat with a back four, obviously this needs balancing in other areas, did help us tonight that Spurs were so passive, not everyone will decide to sit on a lead and offer as good as zero threat. But we absolutely can play this system, it's just where and when.

Encouraging. Should lift some of the post-Burnley doom and gloom.
Agree with this, although not sure it'll work against our next opponent, who will for sure not sit back for 89 mins.

I think that was the best 90 minutes for some time with hopefully some new players to come in next month.

4 at the back didn't look as stretched as it has done and although Spurs weren't that adventurous I think that was in part down to us as they had to get people behind the ball because we kept coming at them. They defended really well but a bit more composure up front and we win that game.

We don't have enough goals in the team, until.we resolve that we will hang around where we are in mid table though.

To be fair that's exactly what Wolves fans used to say when they played out a similarly passive game plan after getting ahead and managing to see out the game. It's not like Wolves were constantly knocking on the door and ultimately it was a set piece, which are generally a bit of a lottery, that ruined their game.

As is often the case, the result will generally be the defining factor in whether or not anyone's tactics and their reasoning for them are seen as acceptable or not.
Generally though, even if we played a passive style, we would still offer a threat. Spurs rarely threatened, and didnt have a shot on target from the 21st minute, and had zero efforts at all second half I think.

For all those slagging Podence, would you have swapped him for Son for that 90 minutes ??
Not sure, although Son got behind our defence after about 15 seconds.

More importantly, I would have swapped him for someone that gives us more than 10 mins per match and a couple of nutmegs.

I’m not sure where Podence was meant to be but, if he was playing 10, I’d like to see what Vitinha could do there personally.

I just don’t feel we get enough from Podence over 90 mins, which is why he’s always hooked.

I thought Podence was good today, he is tricky and exciting and he drops into little areas of space. He is 25 and only played maybe 18-20 games in the Prem if you added up the total minutes into actual 90 segments.

Still a work in progress this formation but considering the important that Raul played for us we entered brutal run to life without him and then you factor in the other players missing time.

Also separate point, loved it when Alan Smith said 'it's the goal the game needed' - about a goal scored less than 60 seconds into a match, scored by a side you knew would then sit back. Thanks Alan, that really helped my mood!

He's turned into a really weird manager.

It's all a bit van Gaal at United right now. They were playing some decent stuff at the start of the season, much like Weird Louis' United were. Then a bit of a defensive shocker (United shipping 5 at Leicester before they were any good, Spurs winning 3-0 at home to West Ham and contriving to draw) and they get horribly spooked and both end up playing terrible, lowest possible risk, lowest common denominator garbage. Hundreds of millions of pounds' worth of attacking talent totally squandered as you don't allow them to play properly.

If you win 1-0 then most people just shrug and say "well at least we won" and hope that you won't play like that forever (but you will).

If you don't win then absolutely no-one is happy.

Back in the real world, it isn't 1991, you aren't George Graham and you can't win titles like that any more.

Very strange.

Thought that was a very good performance indeed other than the shocking goal - done by one ball over the top to win the corner inside 30 seconds, then we have no-one on the edge of the box (why?), then it's a horror show from Rui, no excuses.

Afterwards though we passed the ball well, the interlinking was much much better (I do wish Adama wouldn't stand and watch when he passes the ball though! Move) and we looked dangerous throughout. Neto had them terrified, although we were outnumbered in midfield Neves and Moutinho both played well - can we put to bed the theory that they can't play together, please. Semedo's best game for the club by a distance and Fabio continues to improve, though he has to score at the end. It's not a sitter as he does see it late when Dier misses it but just head it back where it's coming from and we win the game.

Would have been an absolute travesty if we lost.

Dreadful refereeing performance. Constantly giving Spurs free kicks for falling over under nothing. That was their only means of relieving pressure as well for the whole second half. Then the penalty...yes, he makes a meal of it but there was contact, without a doubt. It certainly wasn't a corner!

We definitely do look more coherent as an attacking threat with a back four, obviously this needs balancing in other areas, did help us tonight that Spurs were so passive, not everyone will decide to sit on a lead and offer as good as zero threat. But we absolutely can play this system, it's just where and when.

Encouraging. Should lift some of the post-Burnley doom and gloom.
Agree with most of that, except the Neves/Moutinho partnership vindication you snuck in there ;)

I very much won't 'put that one to bed', thanks! The untouchables can enjoy scrutiny like the rest of the team for once...

The stats of their games together this season can't be undone by a late draw at home.

We were still losing with the two of them on the pitch, the goal was scored with Otasowie on and we may well have won the game with a more adventurous combination in the middle.

I admire Moutinho's defensive work (as already said) but he has no influence further up the pitch.

Neves had a poor first half with numerous stray balls, and for a player that doesn't score or assist or even take free kicks anymore he needs to get that right. Better second half but not MOTM as someone said. Neto, Coady and Saiss at least had better games in what was really more of a decent team performance than anything.

Last edited:
Four things which are still grating me this morning

1) why did Saiss take that FK??
2) why are refs so shit and so quick to dismiss our penalty shouts when you see some of the soft ones that get given
3) our set pieces and thrown ins are awful. It's such an obvious area we can improve on
4) Harry Kane

A deserved point that could have been even better with improved finishing from Fabio and Podence. If you are losing to a top five side after one minute and end up feeling that you should have taken all three points ,then something is very right about the way the team has played. Semedo was very good in all his work except crossing. Otasowie looks worthy of a start and seems to inspire Neves to be more creative. Fabio, at the moment , is struggling to finish but doing an awful lot right. I still want a striker in the window though. I thought Patricio was unsighted for their goal but his position looked a bit odd. He seems to be too far to his right in the starting position?

It was really good to score such a great equaliser. That was a quality header from a quality delivery. More of those in the upcoming games please.

Four things which are still grating me this morning

1) why did Saiss take that FK??
2) why are refs so shit and so quick to dismiss our penalty shouts when you see some of the soft ones that get given
3) our set pieces and thrown ins are awful. It's such an obvious area we can improve on
4) Harry Kane
That free kick made me howl.

It was a good performance although I am not convinced that was more of a reflection on Spurs rather than us.

I find Otasowie increasingly impressive whenever I see him. Nice cameo last night and one great tackle late in the game in particular.

Moutinho and Neves were too deep 1st half but way more effective 2nd when they were higher up and pressing.

We have had a few dodgy moments of late at the back when Rui and defenders are clearly not communicating. Saiss in particular last match and Semedo last night. For me that has to be on Rui not giving the shout.

On the Fabio front, I am still not convinced he hasn't been bought for wider interests rather than an expectation of any quick footballing return and regardless of funds and even with inflated transfer fees, £35m needs to deliver, particularly when we haven't purchased any other backup intentionally or otherwise.

Thought Neves was very good last night, good to see him getting further forward and biting into tackles too. Great cross for Fabio at the end too.

Back