• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Spurs: Verdict thread

Hanging his transfer fee around his neck isn't fair on the kid and certainly won't help him. It had nothing to do with him, and it's not his fault he's now front and centre in the spotlight earlier than he might have expected.

He's obviously giving his all, but he also has to learn to relax more when chances come his way. He's maybe tensing up, getting a bit eager when they do and it seems like that is making a small but significant difference. Like the time last night when it fell to him 6 yards out but he snatched at the ball and couldn't control it, so it went through to the keeper. When he makes a run and hits it first time is when you can see the quality, for the chance against Villa, and the near post one last night.

There's more than enough to his game to be fairly optimistic he'll come good. Whether that's this season I don't know. A couple of goals in open play will certainly do his confidence the world of good and help him settle down.

As an aside, looking at the match stats I don't know how we ended up with 20 fouls and 4 yellow cards...

Tierney was awful for buying their nonsense. Kane in particular just falling over under no or minimal contact on halfway - and it was their only outlet. On all bar one occasion he blew the whistle and allowed them to reset. Virtually none of them were actually fouls.

The Fabio conversations are almost identical to the Neto conversations last year. £16m? What are we spending all the money on him for? Lightweight. Mendes favour. The deal Looks dodgy.

now Neto has put on some muscle and got some games under his belt, he’s in the running for PL young player of the year. I wouldn’t be remotely shocked if the same were true of Fabio when he’s 20 too.

Semedo put one out for a corner last night when Rui was behind him ready to collect. Saiss and Rui got in each other's way last game and also gave away a corner. There have been a few other times of late , Semedo and Boly as I recall where there appears to be a breakdown with Rui.
Ok, one then....I'll give you that one.😁

The Fabio conversations are almost identical to the Neto conversations last year. £16m? What are we spending all the money on him for? Lightweight. Mendes favour. The deal Looks dodgy.

now Neto has put on some muscle and got some games under his belt, he’s in the running for PL young player of the year. I wouldn’t be remotely shocked if the same were true of Fabio when he’s 20 too.
I notice commentators and pundits quoting Neto as £10m recently. Probably because the double deal cost us about £20m from Lazio.

I'm not entirely sure that spending 35 million on an 'experienced' striker would have necessarily bought a better finisher, you don't get much for that kind of money, especially strikers. Of course things have changed with Rauls bad injury and we need someone in January

Back to Neves, just read that, in 2020 in the top five European leagues, he's the player who's had the most shots without scoring. 47 shots in the PL, no goals

Ollie Watkins 28m
Eze 16 m
James Rodriguez 25m
Cavani free
Callum Wilson 20m
Fabio Silva 35 m

without being negative young Silva looks a tad expensive against that list from last summer.

Eze isn't a striker (we still should have been in but it's an entirely different argument), nor is Rodriguez who is on mental wages, Cavani is on even more than that!

Wilson I might grant you but he wouldn't have come here to play second fiddle to Raul, which was the case in August/September, plus his injury record is poor.

Watkins is a lot of money for a Championship player, his fee rises to £33m I believe and it's not like he's banging them in right now.

You don't just buy players for one season.

I was not comparing like for like as I don’t think Fabio Silva is like for like in Raul. I think I would have been very happy with any of those on that list to be honest , even Cavani would have been a decent off the bench option. Wages for him an issue , true but he was a free do that’s negated. I know you don’t buy players for a season but you also don’t buy players for the following season when you really need some back up in the currrnt one.

Tierney was awful for buying their nonsense. Kane in particular just falling over under no or minimal contact on halfway - and it was their only outlet. On all bar one occasion he blew the whistle and allowed them to reset. Virtually none of them were actually fouls.
It's so frustrating when the forward backs in, keeps backing in, the defender stands firm, forward falls over and it's a free kick

Eze isn't a striker (we still should have been in but it's an entirely different argument), nor is Rodriguez who is on mental wages, Cavani is on even more than that!

Wilson I might grant you but he wouldn't have come here to play second fiddle to Raul, which was the case in August/September, plus his injury record is poor.

Watkins is a lot of money for a Championship player, his fee rises to £33m I believe and it's not like he's banging them in right now.

You don't just buy players for one season.
This

Similar amount of touches, but seemingly more influence compared to the previous game (unsurprising). I think the 4231 would help Moutinho and Neves to play together a lot more, let them dictate the player with their technical qualities, with more options in front of them to play out under pressure.

Ollie Watkins 28m
Eze 16 m
James Rodriguez 25m
Cavani free
Callum Wilson 20m
Fabio Silva 35 m

without being negative young Silva looks a tad expensive against that list from last summer.
I bet you did a similar list for Neto last year...

There was one piece of hold up play with Sanchez right on him that was tremendous. There's a lot there to work with, we have to persevere with it. I do want another striker next month but not someone who's going to condemn him to the bench for 2+ years. He's already improving more and more as he goes along.
This is the important bit for me, I don’t want to sign someone who will push him down to third choice for ages as soon as Raul is back.

I don’t think we’ll see much of Raul before April.

And if Spiers and Phillips have said we’re in for Jovic I’d say that’s a more or less done deal. Failing that we bring Cutrone back to warm the bench for a bit and prove his worth/ put himself in the shop window.

Back to Neves, just read that, in 2020 in the top five European leagues, he's the player who's had the most shots without scoring. 47 shots in the PL, no goals
I don't suppose you noticed the player who made it to the byline most and spannerd it into the stand, I think it's called the Tony Daley award ?

Back